8.1 Graphics driver fix Asus Vivotab Smart ME400C (until MS update figures it out)

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Scott123, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Scott123

Scott123 Pen Pal - Newbie

Issue & fix:

I was having was graphics media accelerator crashing, resulting in:
    1. Black screen lag on wake-up from sleep
    2. Artifacts and other problems when opening apps
    3. Desktop wake-up giving a graphics crash alert

After scouring the web, it seems that the windows update for the GMA driver is causing the issue, and deleting it and reinstalling the ASUS driver from their ASUS Driver Package 2.0.0 fixed this (Device Manager-> Display adapter). This was not my idea, so I am linking the forum adresses here with the users' posts.

Post describing issue and fix (poster m.smirnov): windows 8.1 lock screen delay ...

-> How to disable auto driver update.

-> Link to Asus Driver Package 2.0.0 (under utilities).

Following the instructions I disabled auto-update for drivers. I verified that the current driver was MS's 9.14.3.1168. I uninstalled the display adapter driver with the "delete files" box checked. I had to reinstall ASUS's driver package and then restart. The first restart hung on Bios for a few seconds but subsequent restarts did not. I double checked the current display adapter driver was 9.14.3.1117.

Black screen wake-up lag, graphics driver crash alerts, and app artifacts are now gone for me. :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
    illidanx and will567 like this.
  2. Scott123

Sorry about the grammar and spelling mistakes.. rushed this post.

3. Phistachio

Phistachio Pen Pal - Newbie

I have this issue, thanks for the post.

But I have to reinstall the drivers after deleting the old ones, or after rebooting the tablet AFTER deleting the driver?

4. Scott123

I would say either. However, what is most important is that after reboot, the Asus display adapter driver listed in my first post shows. If not, you have to reinstall the Asus Driver Package.

5. Scott123

I will amend my last post... since it wasn't a smooth driver install after executing the driver package.

After reboot the display adapter was showing a universal MS driver dated 2006. I went to the update driver section, chose the browse my computer options, and directed it to search the drive (or folder) the Asus Driver Package 2.0.0 was located. This installed the Asus driver.

Since I was having problems locating where the driver package installed to, I just chose to browse my main drive, since I saw the drive letter during extraction from the rar format I'll just add, that I used the free software, 7-zip, to extract the rar file from Asus.

6. Scott123

Here is a step by step for those that aren't used to messing in these programs/options. I am not saying it is the 'proper' way, it's just the way I ended up doing it (novice level).

First, disable driver auto update from directions link in first post.

Second, download, extract, and run Asus Driver Package 2.0.0 from first post. It helps if you notice which drive and/or folder the installer puts the drivers (not the downloaded or extracted drive, the drive the Driver Package 2.0.0 installs to when you run it).

Driver version check:

Open Device Manager -> In the Charms Bar search, type 'Device Manager' and choose.
    Expand 'Display adapters'
    Click on Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator
    Click on Driver Tab
    Driver Version is listed in this tab

***If at any time the computer says it needs to restart for the driver to work or change to take place, then restart as directed and retrace these steps***

1. If the Driver version is 9.14.3. 1168:
    a. Choose ‘Uninstall’
    b. Check the ‘Delete the driver Software for this device’ box
    c. Check what driver version replaced the uninstalled one.
    d. Go to 2.

2. If the Driver is 9.14.3. 1168 you are good, if not, go to 3.

3. If the Driver is not 9.14.3. 1168 or 9.14.3. 1168
    a. Choose ‘Update Driver’
    b. Click ‘Browse my computer for driver software’
    c. In the box that pops up, browse to the drive or folder that the Asus Drivers installed to (I just chose the drive since I couldn’t find the individual folder the installer put the drivers)
    d. Click next.
    e. Restart when prompted
    f. Check that Display adapter driver in Device manager is 9.14.3. 1168
    It has been almost 24 hours and I have not noticed any of the display glitches I had after the 8.1 official update.

7. Phistachio

Doesn't work. Tried all tricks and tips, and nothing worked. It was like the driver couldn't be overwritten... I was on the basic MS driver, and when I installed the driver pack, it would install everything except the display driver. I'm now sitting on the 8.1 driver provided by windows update, so all my issues are here. This is my last Asus device, I've had nothing but trouble with them.

Guess I'll have to wait for an official MS driver fix...

8. Scott123

See Post #6.

9. Phistachio

I did all those ways, still didn't work.

10. Asus

Asus Pen Pal - Newbie

Since I had trouble to install ASUS package. An error gets **silently** logged in c:\Windows\Logs\ASUSDriverInstall.log.
    So I decided to extract the graphic driver only.
    I repackaged and you can get the zip containing the driver 9.14.3.1117 here:

https://mega.co.nz/#!M8AHwZRJ!D8qy_VgDQMz5_cL1QZsO2yOycHVyGz4onKwnQn81FEE

Or for those who prefer short URL
    http://tinyurl.com/gma1117

Steps:
    1. Download and extract zip file somewhere on your harddrive.
    2. Uninstall with removal of driver until you have basic video adapter from Microsoft (do not reboot)
    3. Then choose to update driver. Search on your computer and supply the path where you extracted the files in step 1
    4. After screen flickers, verify the driver is now showing the version 9.14.3.1117
    5. Optionally reboot

Problem solved :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
    illidanx, Scott123, will567 and 2 others like this.