[700T] Artist Concerns and Answers

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by FlameStream, Nov 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FlameStream

FlameStream Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm a long time user of a Fujitsu T4220 convertible, so I have experience with Tablet PCs. I recently got the 700T.
    I'm enjoying it for what it is so far but there are currently issues that makes it difficult to fully appreciate and use it at this stage.
    I'd like to share my experience so you know what to expect if you plan to be an early adopter like myself.
    Note that these may be corrected in the future as most are software problems.

Wacom Drivers
    It would seem that the driver for the digitizer is currently a little buggy.
    While pressure sensitivity and eraser tip can be recognized by Microsoft applications and third party applications
    like PaintTool SAI, the eraser side button (known as button 2) seems to respond pretty badly.
    When you assign the erase function (or anything else, really) to it and try to use it, at the same time as the pen tip,
    pressure won't be registered.
    You can test it with the diagnostic window.

Moreover, sometimes, the pen won't be recognized when on the screen until you move it out of proximity of the screen for a while (like 1 second)
    and move it back on. It can be pretty frustrating if you do quick strokes often.

Hopefully, this is due to early Wacom drivers. Wacom's support website don't have Windows 8 drivers available right now.
    Using Windows 7 drivers seem to be just fine with the exception of the above issues.

Screen Interface
    You can interact with the screen in two ways: touch and digitizer.
    Note that when using the pen, you will not be able to normally rest your palm on it.
    I suspect that palm rejection is to be done at application level and not OS.
    While the touch screen is disabled while the pen is detected to be near the screen,
    its functionality kicks in the instant there is no pen detected.
    This can be frustrating if you often draw while jumping the pen around and rest your palm on the screen.

A (not so quick) workaround would be to disable the touch screen by going to Device manager and disabling the
    5th Human Interface Device (HID) from the top, since Microsoft removed the option to disable touch in control panel for some reason.
    Beware to not change the Samsung Setting's input option "Turn touchscreen devices on/off".
    It actually turns off touch and pen. So you will need to find yourself a USB mouse to regain control of your PC if
    you won't have the keyboard accessory.

The digitizer doesn't detect the pen near the edges of the screen. Up to 2mm separates the screen border
    and the detected pen on some sides (in my case top right and bottom).
    This is expected as any other Tablet PC I've used seem to have this problem, although it's the first time I notice a wide gap like this.
    That means you can't swipe the borders with your pen and open the hidden menus (or reach the corners).
    To be fair, my old tablet could hardly manage do trigger any of those. It's still disappointing it's still a problem today, however.

In any case, all the above except the edge problem can be fixed with good software tailored for screens with touch and pen support.
    I envision the next best art program to do something different with pen input and touch input (like the current OneNote application: touch pans and zooms, pen inks). Probably with a button that enables and disable touch response on canvas on-demand. But I digress.

If there are anything different other 700T owners are experiencing, please post your experience. I'd like to confirm what is written above.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  2. LilaChan

LilaChan Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for all the review(?) in the point of view of an artist.

I pre-ordered it on amazon.co.uk...however it got delayed by 10 days. -sigh- I bought it (almost) solely for drawing on the screen. I can't justify myself a cinque...however I can justify an ultrabook with a digitalizer :rolleyes:

Wacom seems to have rolled out Windows 8 drivers for its own tablets, hopefully a better tabletPC one would be out soon.

3. Riyu

Riyu Pen Pal - Newbie

Great to hear what a fellow artist thinks of the ATIV! I have a few questions on the hardware side, if you're of a mind to answer. :D

1) Does the screen feel cramped when you draw on it? I feel quite cramped trying to draw on an iPad screen, and the ATIV doesn't seem any wider, although it is longer.
    2) Do the screen and pen make a nice combo texture-wise as you draw?
    3) How's the battery for drawing? Does Photoshop kill it? Battery-wise, or heat-wise; sometimes my laptop sounds like it'll take flight when it's running PS ^^;;.
    4) Is it annoying to draw on while plugged in to charge? (Does the cord tangle, or get in your way?)
    5) What sort of stylii are compatible with it? I keep on reading conflicting accounts on whether the wacom enabled tablet pcs can only use older wacom penabled stylii, or whether they're compatible with anything more available for purchase from Wacom, like a Bamboo stylus.
    6) I hear the screen has some sort of anti-glare coating on it - is it noticeably grainy?

4. FlameStream

When using it in horizontal orientation, I feel like I have a lot of space. In fact, it feels exactly like my desktop screen estate with the advantage of having a bigger digitizer (I have a 8" Intuos). The screen is wider than the ipad then.

When using in vertical mode, it may feel a little cramped for some people. Mainly because of tool menus taking screen estate. To correct that, with SAI, I move all my tools on the lower quarter of my screen and leave the rest of the top part to be the canvas.

It would be pretty glorious to be able to have full screen canvas with tools to be invoked by sliding edges. That metro paint program in the store (which name escapes me) has the right idea but isn't for professionals or even hobbyist. Art rage metro is getting there but not quite.

I am used to drawing on glass, coming from a convertible. It should feel no different from drawing on a Cintiq, I would assume. I have a friend who really wants to have a paper feel when using the pen, so she taped paper over her diitizer tablet. Then she found out about pen nibs that does exactly that. If you want to change the texture feel, consider looking for special nibs from Wacom. They should be all interchangeable.

I haven't run any battery tests yet. But I do know that the fan will run pretty loud when using resource demanding applications (like Photoshop maybe?).
    Will get back to this question later. I'll have Photoshop running too.

I draw on a table using a stand like a Cintiq. The cord doesn't get in the way that way. I don't think it would get on the way on a table. The wire after the transformer is pretty thin though. Thinner than Mac wires. As thin as thin USB wires, in fact.

I only have three pens to test it on. It works with my Cintiq pen and T4220 one, but not intuos2 one.
    I assume that it uses the same frequency as any other tablet PCs and Cintiq.

I think there is anti-glare on the screen under the glass.
    I didn't notice it until you point it out and turned off the screen and looked at it at a certain angle.
    You can start noticing it at 20 degree angle. It didn't really affected me working, however.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  5. aussiedeza

aussiedeza Scribbler - Standard Member

Hey FlameStream thank you so much for finally giving some details about this machine its frustrating trying too decide buying it when there is currently so little info on it out at the moment.

If at all possible could you answer a couple of my questions I am looking to upgrade from my EP121.

1. Photoshop Performance (what version are you using cs5/cs6?)- whats size Canvas and Brush sizes can you work with till the machine starts to become Laggy (plugged in and not plugged in)

2. Does the Pen that comes with the machine come with with 2 buttons on it? (My Ep121 pen has no buttons i had to use a third party pen)

3.If you get around too posting more info on the battery that would be great- mainly after an idea of how long the battery will last with the mach running fast enough to use photoshop (my ep121 has about a 2 hour battery life which is awful, 3- 4 hours of useful paint time would be enough for me to buy the Samsung activ pro)

4. I was confused by your above statement regarding not getting pressure in Photoshop?, Are you not getting pressure working at all or is it not working when you start using the eraser on the pen?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  6. FlameStream

I just got CS6 to install. Unfortunately, I believe the lack of Windows 8 Wacom drivers is making the program unstable. But I was able to run tests regardless.

10000x10000
    Pretty laggy with airbrush @ +1000px, 7.5% zoom
    Little perceived lag @ 300px, 7.5% zoom
    Very Little perceived lag @ 150px, 7.5% zoom
    Almost perfect @ 80px, 12.5% zoom
    Best behaviour @ 50px, 12.5% zoom

3000x3000
    Perceived lag @ 500px, 33% zoom (very manageable with normal speed strokes)
    Good lag at 250px, 33% zoom
    Almost perfect @ 150px, 33% zoom
    Best behaviour @ 100px, 33% zoom

Note that the above has done with a single background canvas layer and a semi blurry airbrush.
    You would gain performance if you paint with a rigid stoke brush, and probably lose on a transsparent canvas.
    Of course, multiple layers would hinder performance.

It has a single button and no eraser. It measures about 10 cm and a diameter of at least 6mm (it's a rounded square cylinder).
    I don't particularly reccomend drawing with it. Would give you cramps. Works well as emergency pen though.

I'll get a full night session of painting on it tomorrow night. It won't be on Photoshop due to mentionned driver issues, however.

It's a driver issue so it affects all programs and not only photoshop. You would not get no response at all (pressure = 0) if you hold button2 and try to draw.

WIth all that said, the current experience on Windows 8 is pretty buggy. I'm anxiously waiting for Wacom to release stable drivers.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  7. aussiedeza

aussiedeza Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks agian mate that helped me open the wallet, now i just have to wait for my 700t to arrive =)

8. gamegirl

gamegirl Pen Pal - Newbie

Awesome! Thanks for trying out all the lag times for various size brushes. Once I actually get my hands on a 700t, I'd be happy to add to this thread. :D

9. Zeezus

Zeezus Pen Pal - Newbie

I've been sketching solidly (product design) on mine for about a week now, took a bit of getting used to with the screen size but I'm in love with it now :)

Palm rejection is generally pretty good but you tend to get few dots here and there when you have lifted the pen a bit too high when moving across the page with your palm still on it, nothing serious though and I believe you there are quick and easy methods of turning off capacitive touch when using sketchbook like programs.

Performance wise this is excellent for all my use, which is sketching products and then adding light rendering to them, I'm no artist so I work in relatively small layers, PPI etc. It does seem to have quite a bit of jitter when doing slow strokes which can be quite annoying when touching up small areas of sketches.

So far I haven't had any driver issues, the samsung drivers worked perfectly from the word go :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.