7.2 Inch android stylus notetaker -Huawei Mate 20X

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by kneehowguys, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Mini is superior in specs for sure but lack of file system for me is a killer.

nnthemperor likes this.
  2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm purposely trying to go as long as I can without itunes and all that syncing crap with my Mini 5. Dropbox thus far seems a reliable middleman. Can export PSD and Clip files right into Clip Studio, Videos in VLC, Images into the default photo app, and comics into Comic Flow......it adds time....no where near as speedy as just thumb driving stuff......but it will have to do. I'm also using the free 2GB account which may account for the slow speed. I can see this being especially dreadful while traveling abroad and not having as reliable high speed internet connection. Even locally its a problem....sometimes for a life drawing class I attend monthly....I like to start out on my Galaxy Book and then move my old iPad Pro 9.7 to finish up later at a different bar....with crappy basement cell reception and speed caped wifi.....just moving a 30MB file can take upwards to 10 minutes sometime. Even mobile hotspotting in my car can be painfully slow. Far cry from 2-5 seconds it would take to thumb drive in and out.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    Shogmaster likes this.
  3. paprikaleapt

paprikaleapt Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm a bit out of the loop- does android have a great file system? I do hear about Samsung's dex dock, but I gather that you are referring to something else?

I guess I'm the only non-artist so the clip studio is a nonfactor for me. The 1080p resolution on the Samsung tablet at first doesn't look great but I do hear that the PPI on a small tablet is still great.

The lack of the "pen always on hand" that you would get for silo'd/magnetic pen tablets seems like the biggest issue to me. I wonder at the ipad mini's low weight if I'd be willing to carry the thing around with a cover with a pen loop ling all of the time despite the added weight of an entire cover.

Adhesive pen loops just seem like they would fall off if I really want the device to be a "grab and put in a bag sometimes" sort of thing

darkmagistric and nnthemperor like this.
  4. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Another non artist here. Samsung makes its own files app, but nothing as in Windows. However, The Microsoft launcher enables you to transition smoothly from Windows to Android.
    Having said that, the 8.9"thickness of the Tab A is a non starter. If only it had been an answer to the mini. I'm also worried about the pencil, a loop might be the best option as I have putting cases on my devices, but I can see how it'll leave the already fragile pencil exposed.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

5. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Don't get me wrong. Android file system isn't great. But it is allowed and there are decent 3rd party ones you can use without rooting and is usable. It's way better situation than iOS.

6. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

For the iPad Mini....a better solution is there are cases that have a full built in slot for the pencil. Pen looping the 1st gen Apple pencil is just begging to lose the cap. I ordered one such case off Amazon, should hopefully come in next week.

As for the File System....honestly Android's file system is kind of crappy compared to good old Windows Explorer. That being said....it at least has an Open File System....which allows you to do really simple things that you would take for granted. Like....you can create a photo album, and actually move the photos around. Apple's default Photo App keeps everything in the same single camera roll....with Albums being mere filters to that roll. And lets say you have a Larger Windows Laptop or Tablet.....and you want to move files....Movies, Comics, Images, MP3s, etc..... to the Samsung 8-incher....(or vice versa)....its literally just a simple matter of plugging in a USB cord....or a thumb drive....open up your file app....and copy or move the files. And with USB-C speeds.....it takes seconds to transfer large files.

With Apple, iOS, and the iPad.....you really can't do that.....aside from Thumbdrives or harddrives just not being supported at all....you need a middle man....usually Itunes (which creates the whole syncing nightmare) or a cloud service like iCloud or Drop Box....and you have to transfer your files to those services, and export from those services to your app of choice (over Wi-fi or Celluar Data). Its do-able....but honestly it royally sucks....especially if you have garbage wifi, data caps, or spotty cellar connections. With the Samsung 8-inch Tab.....because of the Open File System....that's not even an issue.

Apples method....although technically inferior and a royal pain in the ass at times.....does fundamentally curb piracy...it doesn't eliminate it....but it takes extra effort to get pirated content on the iPad......and some avenues to pirate content....like Bit Torrent or just downloading MP3's from your web browser...you can't do in iOS......in practice, this in turn makes Apple's apps and paid for services more profitable then their Android equivalent.....which is partially why iOS apps get more updates and exclusive premier Apps like Clip Studio and Photoshop, since its more profitable.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
  7. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

fyi usb-c is a standard not a speed, USB 3.0 and 3.1 are speed ratings. I think the Pro with USB-c is 3.1 speeds and the Mini, regular and Air are 3.0 with lightning.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    Shogmaster likes this.