64bit's dirty lil secret

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by JJ*, Jan 27, 2010.

1. meng-chieh

meng-chieh Pen Pal - Newbie

I too am in the market for a HP tablet. Unlike my friends down south in the states, I have to settle for retail tablets that come pre-configured. But even in this case, I still have a choice between Vista 64-bit and 32-bit, and for the past few weeks I've been contemplating which one to get.

Seems to me that 64-bit has been initially (and some would argue continue to be) plagued by software-compatibility issues, but most have now been solved. The consensus(?) seems to be that the 64-bit Vista is now much more useful and stable - is this true?

The 64-bit model that I can buy comes with 4 gb of RAM, while the 32-bit comes with only 3 gb. If 64-bit Vista does in fact use up an additional 1gb of RAM, then in my mind I might as well go for the 32-bit and save myself $50. Furthermore, it seems to me that since the laptop is physically limited to 4gb of ram, there's really no incentive for me to get 64-bit anyway.

In addition to the extra RAM, however, the 64-bit model also comes with blue-tooth, and an extra 70gb of hd space. However, the 32-bit comes with OneNote, while the 64-bit version doesn't come with anything, but can have Office 2007 + OneNote 2007 installed for an additional $100. What should I do?

2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

do you need the bluetooth, are you going to use it? or is it just a nice spec addition to you?

I think it's more important to buy the specs you like, in the final analysis you can always change/buy another copy of the OS or other software if it comes down to that, check the procedure if you want to change to a 32 bit OS, and if you can do that w/o having to purchase it again, i don't remember the specifics.

But for the most part you can't change the specs of the machine, so go w/ the one you're happy with.

3. bozo8787

bozo8787 Pen Pal - Newbie

I know this thread is over 1.5 years old. But, that is precisely why i'm posting.

Back then 64bit, could be a nightmare. However, some time has passed and thus win 7-64bit has been on the scene for bit now.

How do you guys feel about 64bit today?

4. Tiezep

Tiezep technology enthusiast

meh, it performs fine and I can use my 4 gigs of ram now.

however halo 2 sees a bit of frame skipping with the same exact settings as it used to have in 32 bit win 7.

not mention my ram is faster and has a higher clock rate, and all it can pump out is a sub par experience to 32 bit halo 2 with slower ram

that or the ram is damaged on arrival... doubt it though because windows gives it a higher score than it used too,
    -Tyler

5. 2.0™

2.0™ Been Inkin' Staff Member

I've had 64bit Vista when the TX2500 came out. No problems then.

I have since upgraded to win7 64bit, and no problems with that either. Runs even better with win7.

I also have a 60GB Vertex SSD, 4GB RAM and a 2.1ghz Turion Ultra.

You can't beat that blazing fast combo. Love my TX2500. Use it everyday.

6. R1C47

R1C47 Scribbler - Standard Member

I still have no use for the 64 bit. None of the applications I use require it, and even though I upgraded the ram to 4gigs I don't use that much.

On another note, the tx2510 that I had, suddenly one day decided to stop working.(Not buying HP ever again)
    I had left it sleeping like I always did and next day when I wanted to "wake it" it didn't and the caps and numlock keys just kept blinking...
    Iḿ still waiting for the motherboard I bought a few weeks ago to replace it. :(

7. Phatwheeler

Phatwheeler Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the HP TX1120US upgraded RAM to 4GB, added 320GB HD and Bluetooth. Right now I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit and loving it. No driver problems and boot up time is much better than Vista.

8. JJ*

JJ* Pen Pal - Newbie

Win 7 64 bit also has the ability to run 32 bit programs.

It makes a folder called Program Files (x86) under the c:\ and installs all 32 bit software in it.

I have not had one issue with windows 7 at all running any of my older software. Some of the real older software needs to be swithed to compatibility mode. As for drivers I install 64bit video, sound , and scanning with no problems. And unless you have an old device to hook up and need 64 bit drivers to operate it that is where the headache comes in, but that is not microsofts fault it is the device maker that has to issue 64 bit drivers for it to function. If you have an old camera or scanner ect.. the company would rather see you buy new then spend time making a driver to appease a customer.
    When upgrading to win 7 it is best if you do some research to see if drivers are available for all your devices, Either that or learn to dual boot.
    Win 7 is a nice OS been very happy with it, Im just disappointed MS does not offer the family pack version anymore and that it is a tad over priced.