64bit vista any thoughts.

Discussion in 'Software' started by alphaswift, Nov 1, 2007.

1. maxout

maxout Pen Pal - Newbie

i am looking to buy 64 bit vista.. my real question is

does all the softwares support 64 bit? i mean some of the major soft like

- office/adobe/winrar etc.

any bad points about 64 bit vista? :confused:

2. Chocobo

Chocobo Scribbler - Standard Member

CS3, I believe, has a special 64 bit version that's optimized for that system. The major problem would be that very few manufacturers offer drivers for 64 bit systems, and since that's Vista, the driver problem would be even more severe.

3. Cougar281

Cougar281 Pen Pal - Newbie

I've found the RTM 64bit Vista to be pretty good (The little I've used it). When it was in Beta/RC, the 64bit was HORRIBLE for driver support. As for apps, I assume typically Vista works like XP64 where it'll run the 32bit app with Windows on Windows (I think that's what it's called).

64bit Vista will fully support 4GB RAM, whereas I have not gotten the 32bit version to recognize more than 3.5GB (Even with the /PAE switch).

4. The Niles

The Niles Scribbler - Standard Member

I am running Vista 64 on my R1F and I love it in a lot of respects but it has problems as well. For me one of the biggest problems is that it refuses to run either Skype or Google Talk. This is a major pain obviously but I have not been able to solve it (other Vista 64 users report that Skype does run for them).

Beware if you go down the Vista 64 route. It's going to be a bumpy ride.

5. Cougar281

Cougar281 Pen Pal - Newbie

I just took the plunge and installed Vista Enterprise 64 bit on my tc4400 and got drivers for everything. The video driver was the only 64bit specific driver, and you need sp35308.exe for the TI flasmedia controller.

6. phiquach

phiquach Pen Pal - Newbie

i got 64 bit on my desktop and everything works except my bluetooth and netgear NAS. but netgear sucks because they don't support 64 bit. Other than that, everyone works fine for me

7. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If you're a developer, don't do it. I've had all sorts of trouble with tools and went back to 32 bit.