64 Bit Windows Venue Pro to be released shortly??

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Mool, Dec 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mool

Mool Pen Pal - Newbie

So, figured I would put this out there and we can discuss if it makes sense to return or hold off on the Dell Venue Pro series...

Now I know that the existing processor in the 8 is a 3740D, 64 bit and the question is will there be an upgrade path to this...also, a dual boot to Android is in the offing...

But read and post thoughts...

Intel Bay Trail tablets with 64-bit Windows 8.1 to be released in Q1 2014 - Neowin

2. Mool

Mool Pen Pal - Newbie

Interesting...seems no one cares for either the notion of 64 bit processor/more memory or the ability to dual boot to Android...

3. Greg_E

Greg_E Scribbler - Standard Member

It was only 6 hours, do you expect instant gratification?

Yes it is very interesting and I'd love a dual boot with android or even really good and functional Android emulator.

As far as 64 bit OS and more memory, not really sure why they limited these things in the first place and is one reason I've held off getting one. The price of ram is so cheap that none of these should really be running less than 4GB.

4. rushmore69

rushmore69 Scribbler - Standard Member

If there is only 32gb or even 64gb, seems a hollow opportunity due to constrained storage space. Especially since Android forces most of the app data to be installed in the internal storage.

Unless app juggling is an acceptable standard process by the user. That or if you are a light app user.

5. Alchemist

Alchemist Scribbler - Standard Member

There isn't alot of advantage to running 64bit windows on the current hardware as they don't have enough system memory to take advtange of it. Also, Windows 8.1 still only supports connected standby on their 32bit version of windows so until Microsoft supports connected standby in 64bit thats another strike against using it on baytrail.

Dual booting to android would be nice though, as a developer I could really use that.

6. Mool

Mool Pen Pal - Newbie

well, the 3740D in the Pro 8 only supports 2 gig of memory....connected standby for 64 bit is completed...hence the release of the 64 bit tablets...

Looks like I'm going to send mine back and wait until next month for the new kids to hit the streets...

7. efjay

efjay Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I doubt there will be many 64bit/4GB Windows tablets at 8", seems like it would defeat the purpose of producing cheaper devices to compete with low cost android tabs. Maybe the leaked 4GB 11 Pro will actually be released bur I don't see the same happening for the 8 Pro.

Sent from my Lumia 1020 using Tapatalk

hp2 likes this.
  8. bugelrex

bugelrex Scribbler - Standard Member

You have to ask yourself, why do you want 64bit with less than 4GB of RAM. There is simply no advantage on a low spec tablet or PC. Its great for number crunching and enormous graphics/server apps with lots and lots of RAM.
    The answer is most likely "because apple said so"

In about 3 or 4 years, it will certainly be the norm when hardware catches up though

9. gammite

gammite Scribbler - Standard Member

I would like more ram so 64 bit is interesting.

as for android, I really don't care. I don't see the big appeal to dual booting with android.

hp2 likes this.
  10. Mool

Mool Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, Asus is releasing an 8" so I would imagine other manufactures would also...for me, it's more about the "let's see what I can do with this", rather than the "need to use for real work"...Android has the jump on Windows right now...let's see what new management does to the app situation...

ASUS planning 8" dualboot tablet with Windows 8 and Android

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.