6"PocketPC running full Windows 10 enters crowdfunding

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by siddhartth, Oct 21, 2016.

?

What will you prefer?

1. Surface phone running windows mobile

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. third party pocketpc running full windows

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. SurfacePhone in one pocket and 6" Ockel Sirius in other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I will take Galaxy Note8 even if either of SURFACE PHONE and Ockel Sirius A becomes a reality

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

There are two visions for future of personal computing that are being pushed by Tech companies for consumer Market -
    1. Mobile OSes will be the future of personal computing i.e. iPad pro, Windows phone + continuum
    2. With mobile OSes, tech companies are just buying time till they make mainstream full desktop OSes efficient enough to be able to run on a Mobile SoC. After that windowsMobile and android will be killed. And phones will run full Windows & Andromeda OS.
    But the truth is these tech giants are themselves confused, because users do prefer to at least 2 devices-
    • one with a large screen
    • and a smaller device that fits into the pocket, which also makes call.
    A person generally wants a full OS in a portable device when his computing needs are very specific, and precision input methods like a physical keyboard and a trackpad/trackball are expected to be part of the package. That is why clamshell form factor is here to say, as the vast majority is not complaining, about the weight and size since Macbook Air, HP 360, Xps and surface. Since majority will continue to buy 10"or more for personal computing needs, it's hard to sell them a device smaller than 7" which also runs a demanding primary OS.

I am not saying this pocket PC should not come with cellular voice call & text. In fact I believe all every device smaller than 8" should come with cellular capability, irrespective of the OS it runs. The point I am making is about futility of a device that runs full desktop OS in a form factor that is smaller than 7".

It's very easy, technologically, to add cellular ability in larger form factors like a 12" notebooks and tablets but it's impractical as users won't be able to use the cellular features because of lack of pocket-ability. Similarly, it's futile to cram in a desktop OS in such a small device, without proper inputs like pen, physical keyboard and trackpad/ball. Multiwindow/multiapps/multitasking is one of the feature what makes an OS a desktop OS. On a 6"device where the touch keyboard itself takes up half the screen, multiwindows/multitasking, drag and drop etc will be difficult. This divine has again opened the Pandora's box - Primary us Secondary device & Desktop VS Mobile OS.

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/your-dream-device-for-personal-computing.70864/

It's better to buy Intel core i5 miniPC/macmini boxes at that price, instead of this overpriced Intel atom box. OS is less important than Apps.

My Solution for devices like these -
    • Go one step ahead of Universal windows platform make consumer level windows OS itself universal, an OS that adapts visual elements to screen size, suppresses those function which are not needed in phone mode - like virus scans, update downloads when not charging and lying still.
    • Make compatible hardware like clamshell laptop docks, with a physical Keyboard and trackball/ trackpad and a pen Silo.
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/thr...ble-with-typecover-loaded-with-battery.71018/

Last edited: Oct 24, 2016
    Starlight5 and Marty like this.
  2. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I agree, which is why I would love to use Windows on my Note 5. :D

But there needs to be a first step, there needs to at least one pocket-sized full PC (with screen) for MS and other software developers to be motivated to adapt the UI to 6" and below.

Windows 8 Metro already laid the groundwork, now it's the OEMs that need to start building the devices.

siddhartth likes this.
  3. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

No, it's the HP8EN if that device had a cellphone capability, I wouldn't bother about another cellphone.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

4. Marty

I'd just like to drop in a comment on this fascinating dichotomy you point out in mobile OS evolution.

Somehow the tech industry seems convinced that desktop OS 'do not belong' in the mobile space. This has fueled the perception that full desktop functionality is somehow 'archaic' and 'the future' is in app-siloed, file-systemless, single/dual-task orientated OS design.

In reality, these were merely concessions necessary for low-power operation during the infancy of mobile devices.

But now you have Apple trying to turn these into sought-after features, with Tim Cook proclaiming the iPad Pro as a full laptop replacement "without the laptop baggage".

So which vision will win? I am eagerly awaiting when power-efficiency of desktop OS reach about 10-12 hours on a handheld devices and we'll finally get to see a real contest. :)

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
    siddhartth likes this.
  5. siddhartth

I am myself divided on this issue -
    • The idea of having one And only one personal computer that is scalable from 5" to 15" with the help of peripherals is fascinating.
    • But idea of evolving mobile OS separately from desktop OS, seems more practical and energy and environment friendly.
    While in the previous post i advocated for a unified windows platform, in which there is a scalable single OS i.e, windowsOS, instead of just scalable universal windows Apps, but in this post i will make a case for the latter point, i.e. separate mobile and desktop operating systems.

Working seamlessly between multiple devices is becoming easier and easier, because of features like -
    • Apple's continuity
    • Syncing of Chrome browsers between mobile and desktop
    • Universal cloud based clipboards and keyboards (evernote, swiftkey, cortana etc)
    • Microsoft continuum
    A Gurkha's khukri besides being an excellent Combat knife, can be his axe, his shaving razor, his dagger and even his sword. But it never matches the efficiency that a proper wood cutting axe, a common cheap shaving razor, a proper sword, can achieve. And to be honest, using a khukri as an axe or shaving razor is too much of an overkill and expensive solution. Same can be said for using the power of full desktop windows just to make calls and texts. Which is what most people will end up doing.

I think evolving Mobile OS separately from desktop OS is the key. The reason why windows has failed to evolve as a great pen based OS is, because Microsoft has to keep in mind all windows computers, ranging from modern pen tablets to the non touch-keyboard-mouse desktop that my parents bought 10 years ago. @WillAdams finds 25 year old PenpointOS much more pen-friendly than even the current surface and windows10.

A common OS for device of every size will mean a lot of compromises and wastage of time and energy to find the consensus or balance to make everybody happy, which is impossible.

Only thing that can make one device solution possible is arrival of foldable/rollable displays and tabletPCs.

Then i will be able to wear a 14"surface pro on my forearm. And make calls with it or jot down notes. An avegant glyph visor will also be sweet.

I had wanted these two technology since i was 19 years old. And ability to write on display since i first saw a computer, that is when i was 7 years old. My childhood dream has come true with surface. But in the original imagination i was writing on the screen of a big CRT monitor. :)

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
    djas, Starlight5 and Marty like this.
  6. Marty

What a colorful analogy! :D

A master swordsman has the flexibility to choose or craft a well-balanced off-hand weapon to suit his combat style.

As a computer user, I am given only two options (for now) of companion OS, none of which are specifically crafted to be used with my primary OS.

Following the analogous line of thought, the best solution would be to run a custom linux kernel on the phone, with specific modules coded to sync with a linux pc...which remarkably, actually is technically the best solution!

(Also requires years of dedication and training, just like a master swordsman. ;))

I love this analogy!

siddhartth likes this.
  7. siddhartth

Exactly, there needs too be a full range of secondary devices for the main computer ranging from - dumb phones and music players, to pen abled smartphones cum cameras, internet of things type smart health bands, not all these devices need to have an interactive screen. They just need to work with the mAin cimputers.

8. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

This $350 already shipping 5.5" palm computer seems much more useful with much bigger battery.

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/GPD-...ss-Screen-1280-720-Type-C---Black-367872.html

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The specs have been upgraded since that IGG campaign image. It's now running Z8700 instead of Z8500. And it's got 6000 mAH battery.

And GPD isn't some johnny come lately company either. They are well established device maker. I own one of their previous devices (5" Android version of the GPD WIn)

siddhartth likes this.
  9. sitongia

sitongia Scribbler - Standard Member

These small computers look good, but isn't the Atom going away? They need much more powerful CPUs and cell modems. They they should become the heart of a continuum of pluggable platforms.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. siddhartth

@nnthemperor will like this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.