6"PocketPC running full Windows 10 enters crowdfunding

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by siddhartth, Oct 21, 2016.

?

What will you prefer?

1. Surface phone running windows mobile

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. third party pocketpc running full windows

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. SurfacePhone in one pocket and 6" Ockel Sirius in other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I will take Galaxy Note8 even if either of SURFACE PHONE and Ockel Sirius A becomes a reality

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. siddhartth

siddhartth Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Better than surfacephone?
    [​IMG]
    Ockel sirius A
    http://www.theverge.com/circuitbrea...el-sirius-mobile-computer-windows-10-portable

I for one have abandoned my one device solution completely. Presently i believe in 2 to 6, device lifestyle. But those who still are trying to realize the dream of living off of a single device that can fit in your pocket, it's the only hope you have.

May be we need another forum now pocketpcreview.com

And please people don't forget to cast your vote, Surface phone vs Ockel sirius.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
    Marty and nnthemperor like this.
  2. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I might just mention that this concept already has been here for 3 years, with the Dell Venue 8 Pro tablet running Win8.1 originally and now Win10, in an 8" form factor (which I prefer).

3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

4. siddhartth

I considered Dellvenue 8 pro when it was first released, but it was not pocket-able being a large 8"tablet, also it didn't have a single normal sized USB.

Ockel at just 6" is very pocketable. And has the necessary ports to transform it into a full pc if peripherals like keyboard, mouse, monitor, external hard disc, cd drive are available. Also the touch screen let's you work any windows 10 programme. Even with out the peripherals.

I think except for a possible niche crowd, a full windows 10 for a phone is a mega overkill.

WindowsmobileOS is a thing of beauty, battery efficient, good performance, intuitive. Current gen phones android/iOS/windowsmobile are capable devices, what they lack is proper Notetaking applications and good styluses. Also the applications by Adobe and Microsoft are quite good for rough work. voice recording, dictation, handwriting, a good display. This is what makes Samsung Note7 so powerful SNote synced with Evernote, a good pen, no wonder it out sells 8" full windows tablets.

A penabled Surfacephone is still what i will prefer over Ockel.

But I am glad now we have an option for a real 6" pocket PC. It's just not for me.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  5. Mikerman

I've adapted to Windows and full Windows programs on an 8" screen with the Dell, just manageable--I can't imagine on a 6" screen. Although, I guess, in a pinch . . . .

6. siddhartth

At the cost of long term EYESIGHT reduction?

May be we need a cultural shift. A rethinking of modern wardrobe. Evolution of pocket. The side and hind pockets of our pants and jeans -
    • Are too prone to get picked
    • May cause bending of metal frame of devices
    • Increase our hip dimensions sideways which is not good for modern transport i.e. largely public in nature.
    • Are too close to genitalia
    infact that's now how nature wants us to carry stuff. I think front and back of our trunks are good real estates that dresses evolved in 17th century fail to take advantage of. I will highlight my point with practical points-
    • Abdomen of pregnant mammalian females grows more in the front than the sides to accommodate growing baby.
    • Marsupial pockets of kangaroos are front of the abdomen.
    • when given a baby carrier parents prefer to carry their babies in front instead of on the side.
    • Military, trekkers and hikers till now prefer backpacks and front packs. There are no sidepacks in military.
    • Even the side holster for daggers and firearms has been replaced by holsters that wrap around chest and belly.
    • Mobile phones larger than 5 inch dimensions often cause problems while bending to tie laces, or jumping a fence.
    So, may be belly pockets in normal shirts will help, fanny packs are ugly.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
    Starlight5 likes this.
  7. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Respectfully disagree...consider every usecase in their marketing video (except monitor connection) is essentially what people already do with their phones:

Without cellular capability, most people will just think "why not just use my phone?" rather appreciate the Sirius A on pocket pc merits.

siddhartth likes this.
  8. Mikerman

Not in the least.

9. thierryb

thierryb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Make it 8 inch, with a pen, and I will buy it.
    Add it cellphone capabities and I will buy two.

nnthemperor likes this.
  10. Mikerman

Isn't that the Dell Venue 8 Pro? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.