6/6/17 Best Buy is giving you $75 credit for any laptop that boots!

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell, Trade and Tablet PC Deals' started by Shogmaster, Jul 6, 2017.

1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Finally figured out how to get the best value/best chance of accepting. Go through the trade in website and set the paraneters yourself. Save it as in store trade in. Then go have the Best Buy rep pull it up in their system.

They were gonna give me $80 for my 2008 HP but i went through the website and save it for in store trade in and got 140 instead.

They also let me do 2 at a time through the website pre check. I saved 2 machines to my phone number, she pulled up both machines by my number and did both trade in at the same time. YMMV on that part.

So my total take for 4 ancient mzchines are $440. My XBox One X is almost paid for. :D

surfaceproartist likes this.
  2. Shogmaster

Do I go for 6? I kinda feel that my Asus Vivotab Note 8 will break on me soon and will be useless, but she works like a champ atm... EBay says she's worth between $50 and $120, but after she breaks she'll be worth zero so maybe I'll just take that $75 now...

Starlight5 likes this.
  3. crazycat

crazycat Pen Pal - Newbie

Considering the Asus Note 8 being the only 8 inch EMR Windows tablet in existence, and that it's the Windows tablet with the most consistent performance in the 8 inches category, I would say hold on to it. Computer board actually don't die that easy, unless you push software it can't handle onto it or the power supply part broke.

But again I'm a hoarder and have no access to the deal you mentioned so take my advice with a grain of salt :p

WillAdams and surfaceproartist like this.
  4. Shogmaster

There's also Dell Venue 8 Pro 5855. Much faster one with AES.

The problem isn't the mobo for the Vivotab Note 8. It's the EMR digitizer ribbon cable. Mine still has the original so It'll probably go soon. Also, Z3740 Atom is too damn slow. X5 or X7 would be noticeably better.

Starlight5 and WillAdams like this.
  5. crazycat

crazycat Pen Pal - Newbie

That Dell model is so damn hard to find though, it's like they put it up and then take it down very quickly and quietly, expensive and no included pen. I actually find Baytrail more stable and power efficient than cherry trail (having seen many Cherry Trail devices plagued with overheating, wifi and boot problem). Not sure about Z8500 but I find my Z8300 tablet perform only about the same as the Z3740 Note 8. In the future there might be Windows on ARM, but I doubt desktop program will perform as well as on native x86 processor.

It's your decision though, so if you are in the position to get a better device, then by all mean go ahead ;).

PS: I'm also on my first cable and have been opening the tablet up every 4 months or so to massage the touch cable, so i guess you should trade in if you don't want to go through the trouble to replace it.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

7. Shogmaster

Scores a blazing 270 on Passmark!

Pentium III M 1.33GHz in my old Toshiba Portege 3505 (the very first MS tablet PC!) beats that! Granted only one sample tested, but still...
    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Mobile+Intel+Pentium+III+-+M+1333MHz&id=1383

TBH, I have found 8" to be too small to draw for my hands. I think 10" is more comfortable and still small enough. Been looking at Venue 10 Pro 5056...

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    Starlight5 and Bronsky like this.
  8. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Starlight5 likes this.
  9. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

10. Shogmaster

You can ALWAYS blame ol' Shogmaster *salutes*

Bronsky and surfaceproartist like this.