5th.. or 6th RMA? I've lost count!

Discussion in 'Asus' started by eva04, Jul 13, 2007.

1. eva04

eva04 Scribbler - Standard Member

G'day everyone. Friday 13th, unlucky day for some! Here's some reading if you will =)

*after numerous unit replacements, motherboard replacements, unsuccessful static servicing and battery replacements*

So this is the story this time:
    I emailed our good friend Andrew from the Sydney Asus repair centre and got an RMA of which 3 weeks ago I dropped by the Melbourne repair centre to get my battery exchanged. On that day Chris, the technician who replaced my battery once before, insisted that he wanted to "change the motherboard and do further testing". I insisted that they had done it before and that the problem was unresolved and as our friends from the Sydney repair centre said to check for wear and immediately do a swap accordingly. Noting that the last time this happened, he checked it and I was out the door in 10minutes with a new battery! So I left it at that and asked when it would be done. He said "1-2 days". I took his word for it and went home.

1 week later....

I called the Asus repair centre several times, I could just not get through! It either was busy or rang but nobody picked up. Finally after several hours of dialing I got through and I asked what was going on and he said it should be ready by the end of the week (this was on Tuesday) and that they would call me.

another week later....

Still no call from from Asus so I decided to call them instead! Kept calling them all day when I had the opportunity but again, busy dial tones and deaf ears.

yet another week later....

Called Asus up again, managed to get through this time, and what do ya know! it's Kenny, the guy that took my 2nd RMA! So I asked what was going on... the guy couldn't find my ref. number so asked for my name.. couldn't find that either so asked for the model number. Reluctantly, it was located and by the sounds of things it was just collecting dust over those weeks. I demanded it back the next day and well yeah... I really don't think they changed the motherboard or anything, just switched the battery. Hell the guy still didn't admit it was an Asus problem. My warranty is going to run out in 3 months, if I notice wear in the next couple weeks I'm gonna deliberately stack more on and get another RMA. =)

You know there's somethin wrong when you know the names of all the technicians at the Asus repir centre! That's my Friday the 13th =)

2. lyl

lyl o_0

Hell, 3 months? you can fit 8 more RMA's in by that time! happy 13th to you too :)

3. eva04

My close encounter...

Today I accidentally left the R1F on without the power plugged in and went for lunch. When I got back the battery was totally drained! I feared the worst, 4-5% battery wear so I fired up NHC and it showed 0% wear... then I let it charge to 25% then rebooted and checked NHC again, still 0% ... charged it to 100% and what do ya know, still 0%!

Could it be possible they fixed the problem? I really don't want to drain it again and again just to find out..

4. cecirdr

cecirdr Scribbler - Standard Member

Oh I hope you're right and they figured it out. I'm wondering if they had a huge batch of "possibly bad batteries" and opted to swap out our known bad ones with the batch they had that was "possibly bad". ...maybe figuring that eventually they'd get through the batch and we'd all end up with a decent battery in the long run. But what a PR nightmare!

Right now my battery life is still holding in there, but I haven't let it discharge below 30% or so. Thankfully, my machine is also now able to use wifi while on AC power. So I'm cautiously optimistic.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

5. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Scribbler - Standard Member

My last RMA took about a week to complete and I got the battery back with 0% wear, but after about three weeks of 0% wear, it suddenly jumped to 5% without warning.

I've since bought a modular bay battery for 141$ off CDW.com and had it overnighted to me. Upon receiving it, I find that the modular battery is the first one to be used (at least according to NHC) so the main doesn't get the deep discharge that would damage it. But I haven't had it long enough to know if the modular will start taking 5% hits as well...

6. Horsepower

Horsepower Pen Pal - Newbie

And I thought I could complain about having to RMA the second battery. The tech support department pumps in nitrous and the techs observe the golden rule: rule number 1 Asus is always right, rule number 2 if they are wrong refer to rule number one. I was SO thrilled to get my R1F, but now even Toshiba looks good.

7. eva04

Buddy, I couldn't agree less! Asus always say they are right and don't give a flying #*&$ what the consumer thinks. I'm glad more and more people are coming out with this. I've been informed that the techs now know of the problem, however they still believe it is and isolated case. People have to start RMAing their batteries to make a noticable dent in their warranty claims to bring it to the attention of higher management...

8. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

......... in search of the 'Flying #*&$...[​IMG]

...and it's not localized either.

ASUS UK are abysmal in Customer Service/Tech Support.

9. Horsepower

eva04, P8RSON - You misunderstood. The nitrous comment meant that always act like they are on drugs, and the rule comment meant they never admit a mistake. I won't even start on the fact that they are LAST in line to write/fix drivers.

10. Horsepower

On this battery, I checked the serial number and it's OLDER than the one I RMA'd (I think because number is lower) I am going to try a full charge then removing the battery, and then the other remove the battery when plugged in and bios beep as indicated in other posts.