5Ghz Wirelesss N Capability

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by pcaddict66, Apr 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pcaddict66

pcaddict66 Pen Pal - Newbie

My new TM2 will be here Thursday. I had the pleasure of trying out the preconfigured model at my local Microcenter store before ordering mine with the custom configuration.

My dilemma is this: I read that the Broadcom wireless card in these is model BCM 943225 HMB.
    Link. Broadcom.com - BCM943225HMB - Single-Band 802.11n and Bluetooth 3.0 Half MiniCard Reference Design

Although this is a great card it only operates in the 2.4ghz frequency range. I recently bought the Netgear model 3700 dual band wireless router. This unit broadcasts both 2.4ghz and 5ghz simultaneously. It has 4 separate broadcast radios working at once! I broadcast four different SSID's.

1. Home network G (2.4ghz for other laptops in home running G)
    2. Home network guests only (same 2.4 but with NO access to network shares)
    3. Home network HD (5ghz only for wireless A & N clients only)
    4. Home network HD guests only (5ghz for A & N clients with NO network shares)

So my kids laptops run on network #1 because they only have wireless G cards. Friends run on #2. My wife runs her iPad (a toy) on #3 because Apple was smart enough to put a wireless N card in it that runs on either 2.4 or 5ghz.

I really want to run my new TM2 on the 5ghz channel exclusively ( less interference ). So I ordered an HP branded Broadcom replacement card model BCM943224HMB.
    Link: http://www.broadcom.com/products/Wireless-LAN/802.11-Wireless-LAN-Solutions/BCM943224HMB

Evidently some other HP laptops use this card.

My plan was to simply remove the single band card and install this dual band (and drivers of course) but i JUST found out that the antenna in our laptops is a 2.4ghz antenna ONLY! I never thought that the antenna would be different! STUPID ME.

Do you think I just wasted $43.00 plus freight or do you guys have any ideas. I could always order a 5 ghz compatable internal antenna wire pair but I do not want to take apart the LCD to feed the wire up there.

Any ideas?

2. grommet

grommet Pen Pal - Newbie

You will have to blaze some trails here alone. Feel free to try it, and tell us how it turns out. HP will in no way support this configuration, of course. :)

3. dgitalchaos

dgitalchaos Guest

The connector is the same, but the cable is smaller for the 5GHz line. The tm2 has two connections for the wireless card, one of them is the primary, the second is the auxiliary. What you can do to get both working is to connect the 2.4GHz to one of the primaries, and connect the 5GHz to the Auxiliary. The 5GHz might be more prone to interference since the cable's not the right diameter, but if it's the only signal in the area, you should be fine. Another thing of note is the connector for the bluetooth... you might have to choose between 2.4, 5, or bluetooth, unless the bluetooth shares the same connector as the 2.4GHz connector. Only way to tell is if there are three connectors on the wireless adapter or two. Please keep us posted as I would like to get this card as well. Thanks.

4. pcaddict66

Dgitalchaos.

Good points about the wire. I received the NEW dual band card already and there is only 2 connectors so thats a PLUS. It must share the wire and connector (primary) for 2.4 and bluetooth as you said.

I bet that those of us that get the bluetooth option get the Broadcom card with bluetooth on board and those who order their TM2 withOUT bluetooth probably get the Intel branded card.

Anyhoooo - If my TM2 makes it on time from Fedex I will be trying out this swap this weekend. I will be sure to post the updates here.

Thanks!

5. dgitalchaos

dgitalchaos Guest

Actually, those that order with bluetooth still get the Intel card. The bluetooth module is located in a separate area all together.

[​IMG]

That's still a pretty sweet card you got for $43. I hope the BIOS accepts it. HP has locked the BIOS on these machines, so it's hit or miss with these cards. I tried my friend's Intel 1000 card and my tm2 rejected it. Definitely keep us posted though.

6. pcaddict66

WOW.

Thanks for the photo. So since the bluetooth module is separate from the WIFI card it must have it's own antenna.

Sadly I just found this "specification" information in the USERS maintenance and repair GUIDE from HP.

Wireless Integrated wireless local area network (WLAN) options by way of wireless
    module (includes two 2.4-GHz antennae in display assembly)::mad:
    Atheros 9285G 802.11b/g/n 1x1 WiFi Adapter + Bluetooth®
    Atheros 9285G 802.11b/g/n 1x1 WiFi Adapter
    Broadcom 43225 802.11b/g/n 2x2 WiFi Adapter + Bluetooth
    Broadcom 43225 802.11b/g/n 2x2 WiFi Adapter
    Broadcom 4312G 802.11b/g WiFi Adapter + Bluetooth
    Broadcom 4312G 802.11b/g WiFi Adapter
    Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1000 802.11b/g 1x2 WiFi Adapter + Bluetooth
    2 Chapter 1 Product description ENWW
    Category Description
    Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1000 802.11b/g 1x2 WiFi Adapter
    Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1000 802.11b/g 1x2 WiFi Adapter + Bluetooth
    Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1000 802.11b/g 1x2 WiFi Adapter
    Integrated wireless wide area network (WWAN) options by way of wireless
    module (includes two antennae in display assembly):
    Supports 5 antenna bands (2100/1800/1900/800/900)
    SIM card option for UMTS module

So if they explicitly state that it has a 2.4 ghz antenna behing the screen then it is safe to assume it will not see my exclusive 5.0ghz broadcast with good strength - heck it might not even see it at all!! Maybe I could install my own 5.0ghz compatable antenna. Tape off the leads for the one that is there now and route my own somewhere in the base. I don't want to open up the screen but I am ok opening the base and finding a couple of opposite corners in there somewhere for the ends of a pair of 5.0 ghz compatable leads.

Can't wait to try it all this weekend.

MORE INFO TO FOLLOW SOON!

7. dgitalchaos

dgitalchaos Guest

If the BIOS accepts the card, I honestly think you'll be fine.

8. pcaddict66

Not worried about the bios. Just this part of my post concerning the antenna from the repair guide:

Wireless Integrated wireless local area network (WLAN) options by way of wireless
    module (includes two 2.4-GHz antennae in display assembly):

9. dgitalchaos

dgitalchaos Guest

Sorry, I already addressed that:

"The 5GHz might be more prone to interference since the cable's not the right diameter, but if it's the only signal in the area, you should be fine"

Could you please post the link where you bought the card from? That's a very decent price for that card! :)

10. pcaddict66

Sorry. Looks like I paid $46.00 for it not $43.00

Here is that link:

DIRECT from HP Parts:
    582564-001 In stock
    Broadcom 43224 802.11 a/g/n WLAN module USD 46.55

HP Parts Store - HP Computer Parts - HP Printer Parts - Compaq Parts

Enter part # 582564-001 in the box. I could not link directly to the part for some odd reason.

I'll take a picture of it when I get home tonight. Let me be the tester before you spend you money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.