575 Budget - Need assistance.

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Fritomaster, May 3, 2020.

1. Fritomaster

Fritomaster Pen Pal - Newbie

General Questions.

1. What is your budget?

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    I want refurbished or used its the better deal.

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    Perfer a form factor that I can draw with. ^ style doesn't seem that great. Would really perfect tablet style or a 360 fold.

100% needs to be windows.

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    • 5 to7-inches
    • 7.1 to 10-inches
    • 10 to 13-inches
    • Above 13-inches
    Don't care. Perfer 12+ tho.

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    USA west coast.

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    No. Perfer amd typically because price/performance.

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    2+

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)

Drawing and low poly work.

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?

Windows 100%. The mobile apps for 3D suck and drawing apps dont have the features I need typically.

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)

Aseprite/Photoshop - Blender (Low poly work. No sculpting.) Unity for quick testing.

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.

Nothing that requires anything fast... however I do use blender.

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    4k 60fps output through hdmi would be nice. I have a nice desktop that I use nvidia stream/moonlight with.

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?
    Doesn't matter 1920x1080 or higher though.

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    Would be nice.
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom EMR, AES or N-trig?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance

Yes 100% have to have a pen. I need something that doesn't jitter. So far the ipad pro at 120hz is the best thing I've ever used for drawing. But right now my main tablet is a xp-pen 22inch pro.
    Its decent. But has alot of parallax. Terrible contrast/colors are good enough but could be better.
    The pen works good. Also has a ton of ghosting. So its not good as a actual screen for anything moving. (Doesnt really effect drawing that much.)

So I really would like something better than that at least.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?

8gigs ram min. Perfer 16. Idc about HDD

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?

Don't care. Would like a newer hdmi or something that supports 60fps 4k.

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?

Right now I'm set on this.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BGDMQVY

I have two concerns with this.

1: Never used any surface line. How well are they for drawing?
    2: The low powered GPU. Is there anything that has amd? or better gpu/drawing?

Last edited: May 11, 2020
  2. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Over 12", under $575 and with a GPU really limits you to the Lenovo Yoga 530 / Flex 14.

Drop the gaming requirement and you can get much nicer machines.

3. Fritomaster

The flex 14 with 3500 ryzen and vega 8 seems good. It blows away the i7s/intel iris in this price range. 10gigs of ram is good enough (It has upgradable slot anyways.)

Hows the drawing on it? It runs about 550 new with pen on amazon.

I think the only downside is the color sucks/brightness. It looked from what I saw that it doesn't even hit 70% of sRGB but the surface has over 100%. Also surface is a bit more portable but it has 1/2 the gpu speed and 70% gpu power for the surface 3 i7

My worry is the drawing quality on the flex 14 is much better? I'd rather have that then a better screen honestly.

I don't care about gaming on it however I use 3D programs and programs that use gpu.

Edit: What options do you think If I don't need the gpu? Also thanks for the help man!

4. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Hmm well for 3D you might be able to get away with an integrated GPU... but it will be a pain.

For $550 you can get a used Lenovo Yoga 720-13, 720-15, 920-13, Dell Inspiron 13 7386 2-in-1, HP Spectre x360, or a Microsoft Surface Pro 6. If you get something with Microsoft Pen Protocol I recommend the Raphael 502 pen, it's the best. If you get an AES device, only use a pen that came with the device, which may be difficult to find, or the Wacom Bamboo Smart 2-in-1 which is equally difficult to find. The Bamboo Ink and Ink Plus have bad wobble on a lot of AES devices.

As for EMR, you maybe possibly could find a Samsung Galaxy Book 12 for that price, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I highly recommend the HP Spectre x360 with the Raphael 502 pen.

Fritomaster likes this.
  5. Fritomaster

What do you think of a flex 5 with the 4k screen i7 8850/16gigs ram/512 ssd and a geforce mx130 (and lenovo active pen 1)
    I found one in perfect condition for 570$ (It was made 2/2018)
    So not very old either.

6. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Price is unbelievable and you should be able to sell it for almost double if you don't like it. The build quality of all the other devices I mentioned is a lot better, the Spectre x360 being the best in my opinion. AES 1.0 is great but works really horribly with the Wacom Ink Plus so you're stuck with replacing batteries every couple of months.

Fritomaster and thatcomicsguy like this.
  7. Fritomaster

First off thanks! You post alot of good help in here. Helped me out a ton even some of your other response.!

Went and looked at it. The only scratches were small ones on the top of the outside.
    No fading or dead leds/pixels. Looks super unused.
    Inside was spotless no worn marks. It had the box all included stuff. Pen works fantastic.

I'm repasting it now even tho its only two years old. I find grizzly stuff lowers temps a few cs.

So far everything but one thing exceeded my expectations.

I knew this from the reviews but the srbg color isn't very good on this.
    Oh well its good enough and its sharp.

I'm super happy tho!

It came with the lenvo active pen 1. Does anyone know if the active pen 2 works?
    or is there a better wacom aes 1.0? ( thats what I need) supported pen?

upload_2020-5-14_15-37-27.png
    upload_2020-5-14_15-29-28.png

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2020
    ATIVQ likes this.
  8. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Congrats!
    Lenovo Active Pen 1 and 2 are the same except for the Bluetooth button.
    I'd wait for Wacom or anybody else to release a rechargeable AES 1.0 pen that doesn't suck at slow diagonal lines.

9. Fritomaster

Oh? all the reviews made it seem like it was smoother. No big deal then.