$500-$650 convertible for artist-Black Friday recommendations

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Mooni_nooni, Nov 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

If you're not an American, BestBuy won't ship it to you anyway. -Unless something has changed in their policies. Such a pain!

You're pretty much on eBay.

Refurbished shouldn't be a big problem; if you're concerned that a wrong part was swapped in, you can always ask the vendor for verification that the screen works with the pen. I've found most sellers quite cooperative in answering questions.

This one looks nice, and it lists pen support in the details:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Thi...990414&hash=item4b2bd58e09:g:Ex8AAOSwggpZbrZT

Also.., have you considered the Dell 7568? It has a heeeyuge 15.6" screen and uses the same Wacom AES digitizer tech:

Here's one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Inspi...630478?hash=item3d4d953a4e:g:~P4AAOSwaEhZHXW8

And another for only $450 , (which you'd have to verify has FHD 1920 x 1080 and not 4k):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Inspi...286132?hash=item440eb171b4:g:zREAAOSwridZ7ixC

The downside on those is that you'll also have to find and buy a decent pen. (Which you'd probably want for the TY anyway; those toothpicks are only really good for quick and brief use; for artists, you really need something which won't cramp up your hand).

The other option, (if you feel like spending less than half your budget :)), is to look back a couple of generations...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fujitsu-Li...937457?hash=item2835a8a871:g:6G8AAOSwlMFZJ5~2

I'm pretty sure you can expand the memory on that model to 8 or 16. Old, but you get true Wacom EMR. Those Penabled beasts were and still are fine machines within their limitations.

Just a few thoughts.

Good luck!!!

EDIT**************

This is also one of my favorites. I came *this* close to buying one a couple of years ago when they were still going for $1000 used. (I wanted to hold out for a next gen tablet with a larger screen. Thankfully, people started making them.) But the Fujitsu t904 was ahead of its time. 13.3" 1920 x 1080 screen. You'd need to upgrade the memory and get a Penabled stylus, though, (but they're only like $20). But for $300 plus shipping, this is a sweet machine:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fujitsu-Li...061076&hash=item2cc9913f1d:g:mG8AAOSwsFpaBcv2

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    Mooni_nooni and SciuriusRex like this.
  2. SciuriusRex

SciuriusRex Pen Pal - Newbie

Further warning about TPY460: Earlier models had a nasty habit of losing battery connection when jostled about. Caused by a switch that's normally depressed when the bottom lid is screwed on. Chassis flex can let the switch open, which interrupts the battery connection. apparently it's easily remedied by shorting the switch terminals with a blob of solder (or any small, reliable conductor). The latest models do NOT contain this switch assembly: the corresponding location on my system board just had a small white block where the switch would be (probably a factory-installed jumper?).

...Maybe if you're lucky, you can find a "broken" earlier model with pen support, where the malfunction is solely due to this switch, and the device is otherwise functional.
    Over the last several weeks, I saw a couple of (non-Thinkpad) Yoga models on ebay that were pretty cheap, with the seller disclosing symptoms consistent with this problem. If you're handy with an iron, or can borrow somebody who is, it's a 1-minute solder job. Steady hands (and ESD-mitigating technique) would be encouraged.

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/HT102958

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkP...-offs-when-not-plugged-in/td-p/1854161/page/6

Mooni_nooni and thatcomicsguy like this.
  3. Mooni_nooni

Mooni_nooni BootLEG

Yeah that is true except that I'm using a online shopping service to buy and ship for me (I we actually don't have online shopping here directly)
    , their is company/warehouse is in Nashville. So I can technically buy from anywhere in the US including Costco. Which sounds great BUT WHY DID THEY CHOOSE TENNESSEE ...their buying tax is expensive.

I like those deals you showed me,they are worth considering. A lot especially if I fail buying anything on Black Friday,these deals are good. I would be happy just draw again at the least.
    I would like to try get the ty460 with the 940M still over the Intel HD 520. I could just basically go for the Miix 510 since it comes with the whole pen (I found a good deal for it on eBay just a Moment ago )

I would consider the t902 but I found a x230t locally ,the shipping of t902 will just make it 310$ (its heavy)
    I really like the T904
    I wanted it over the t902 & X230t
    I also do prefer wacom EMR cuz I know my galaxy note 4 pens will work on them straight away,without spending extra monies.

I heard that the dell wasn't so good tho? I mean the pen

4. Mooni_nooni

Mooni_nooni BootLEG

I'm going to scavange for broken ones now XD if THAT could be the case! Thanks this is good info
    I'm going to look into them now

SciuriusRex likes this.
  5. Mooni_nooni

Mooni_nooni BootLEG

I think I found what u said

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/263217914392

6. SciuriusRex

SciuriusRex Pen Pal - Newbie

I would advise caution: I'd been eyeballing that exact same one, but there's no way to be sure it doesn't actually require a replacement motherboard.

IMHO, an ideal find would be a laptop that boots, works normally, but ruins its owners' day by randomly shutting off when picked up, shaken, etc. I had seen an orange ("clementine") Yoga model fitting that description, but it sold a few weeks ago.

I only considered that ebay listing as a possible source of parts, a suitable host for a new (EXPENSIVE) motherboard, or a $300 gamble. It may be possible to part it out and make back the money if it's no good, but that's still a commitment.

EDIT:
    CASE 1: Assuming that the switch is always open (I.E: the bottom casing is not properly squeezing the contacts shut), I believe that the laptop should normally operate while plugged into the AC adapter (although maybe it will display "battery not connected" warnings?), but will still operate until the plug is removed, when the laptop will lose power; the laptop will only operate on AC power.

CASE 2: Assuming that the switch is normally depressed (closed), but flexing/movement of the case allows it to open. The laptop should pretty much work normally, except when physical movement allows the switch to open, spontaneously turning off the machine/ruining someone's day. The "battery not connected" warning only occurs if this movement happens while the laptop is on AC (I think it would just lose power & turn off if the movement happens without AC attached)

Assuming the "3 different chargers" the seller tried were all in good order, I can't be confident that this fits one of those cases.

[Edited multiple times on original post date for accuracy of technical advice]

Mooni_nooni likes this.
  7. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

If you can get the order through, then that's awesome!

The re-shipping service I was trying to use gives me a mailing address in New York state. -But BestBuy refused to accept the address. "We do not ship to known mail forwarders". I was surprised -and pretty stymied for a while, actually. They're really draconian about not selling outside of their territory. It's damned counter-intuitive. It may be worse for Canadians, since there's a BestBuy in Canada. I don't know what country you're in, but if they don't have a vendor which has some kind of non-competition agreement, the shipping rules might be less strict.

Solving the problem required asking personal contacts to receive and re-ship on my behalf. -That plus customs nonsense ended up inflating the price by a solid 25%.

It was worth it in the end. If you happen to find yourself in the price bracket, I can highly recommend the Samsung Notebook 9 Pro. (Not sold in Canada. o_O)

Mooni_nooni likes this.
  8. Mooni_nooni

Mooni_nooni BootLEG

Woah that really sucks actually, and damn unfair... To Canadians who are right next door!
    In my case if I had a solid contact in the USA who could buy it in store and just post it to my locker would be a dream come true!

I'm pretty sure they 100% I can get from best buy since I did almost order several times the yoga 720,but I can't fill my credit fast enough before those student deals were over.

I DId NOT NOTICE the open box Samsung 9 pro was such a good price ...BUT THE IN STORE ONE IS BETTER GOSH I wanna cry. Maybe this black Friday I could get it lower on best buy, it would be an epic long term investment since its got wacom EMR!
    Thanks for noting that

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  9. okieiam

okieiam Scribbler - Standard Member

Mooni_nooni likes this.
  10. Master Architect

Master Architect Pen Pal - Newbie

One of the best and most overlooked Wacom-equipped tablet PC's is the Fujitsu Stylistic Q775. They are super light and thin, and unlike the 704 version, they have full Pro-Workstation-class power able to run full-blown versions of Photoshop, 3D Max, Sketchbook Pro, and more. They have Wacom's EMR technology and support Wacom pens and almost zero parallax, plus multi-touch. They are really amazing but because they are marketed towards large enterprise businesses they generally run very expensive and have enterprise-class specs... but every once-in-a while one will show up on Ebay! If you're lucky, you may find a good one. Highly recommended.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    Mooni_nooni likes this.