$500-$650 convertible for artist-Black Friday recommendations

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Mooni_nooni, Nov 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mooni_nooni

Mooni_nooni BootLEG

Hi everyone (OK okay its me again )

So black Friday is coming soon and I hope my wait will be worth it. I really want to grab a good deal on a convertible(for an artist) in my budget.
    After a lot of technical difficulties I just had to eventually wait longer to buy a laptop I could draw with,but also good for my own entertainment.
    I actually found a used Lenovo thinkpad X230t at the market for $350(plus a free original extra battery) its a pretty good deal. My friend bought from the same guy the normal X230 and OMG it was actually faster at peachtree than our lecturer's Macbook.
    I totally loved it BUT BUT BUT...its graphic's card is too old for me .

So this Black Friday I will try and catch a deal on a more modern laptop. And I need help AND BUYING ADVICE (online buying advice too) ( I dealt with a lot of shady sellers on eBay)

Just recently as I chased after a Lenovo flex 5 believing its the ultimate deal for someone on a $500-$650 budget.
    A lot of people had complaints about it having keyboard and screen defects . apparently turning it from its normal to tablet mode actually has some negative effect on the motherboard or something.
    This scared me as **** since no warranty is going to help me where I live.
    I also saw some deals on eBay for thinkpad yoga 460, its not bad ..but what about the lenovo miix 510? (I actually really want the yoga 720)

So here are my requirements:
    Budget-$500-$660 (I want avoid US taxes..I don't live in the US so it feels a bit unfair. BUT If I have to pay tax,it should be into consideration on my budget ,since I would pay $50-$60 tax)

Cpu-- i5 6th or 7th gen (if I could afford an i7)
    Gpu/card- -520 to 620 Intel HD (I doubt if I can get something with a discreet GPU)
    RAM--8GB
    Size--- 12" or larger. I really like 13" 14" also with Touch.
    Active pen: I REALLY prefer Wacom but I can live with N-trig

(I only would accept used devices if it's for something really good or lightly used, I do not and would not consider refurbished products because of screen replacements)

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  2. Mooni_nooni

Mooni_nooni BootLEG

Okay I just saw some epic looking deal on best buy for some new Lenovo yoga 720 12.5" inch model
    It looks so tempting and good that it seems so suspicious, does it have thunderbolt C like the 13" 15" models? Can anyone show me physical images of it or has tried it? Is the build quality the same? Or did they just made it into a flex type of quality?

Also what do you guys think for a i5-6th gen /8gigs/nvdia 940m Used device for $650???

3. SciuriusRex

SciuriusRex Pen Pal - Newbie

Two weeks ago, I got a ridiculous deal on a floor model Thinkpad Yoga 14/TPY460 20FY (Best Buy version), and I've been quite pleased, except for an alarming event where it suddenly went from ~55% battery to a "Critical warning: 6% battery", and then shut down. Battery capacity went from 95% health (~49500mWh/52250mWh), down to 40% health (~29000mWh/52250mWh). Running the "battery calibration once brought it back up to 63% health. Not sure if it's just my device, or if others do that too.

Also, WRT this model: various sub-models do not support stylus input. If you go for one, make certain it has that feature (if that matters to you). Some (not all) models appear on this database: http://psref.lenovo.com/Product/Think_Tablets_and_Convertibles/ThinkPad_Yoga_14

Mooni_nooni likes this.
  4. Mooni_nooni

Mooni_nooni BootLEG

Hmmmm I see , I don't want to go through battery issues again like my previous laptop,but is the yoga 460 battery replacable ? Then if it is doesny sound so bad.
    Maybe they gave that deal because they weren't bothered to fix the battery issue.:')
    Yeah ,its really getting confusing latley,I'm trying to find new or open box of the yoga 460 that has the stylus. Some even put the picture of the stylus but it isn't the right model

5. Starlight5

Starlight5 Yes, I'm a cat. What else is there to say, really?

@Mooni_nooni there is no such thing as Yoga 470. There are Thinkpad Yoga 370 and Thinkpad Yoga 460; battery is easily replaceable on both.

Mooni_nooni likes this.
  6. Mooni_nooni

Mooni_nooni BootLEG

Lol sorry I keep making that typo
    I know its the 460.

SciuriusRex likes this.
  7. SciuriusRex

Battery pack is internal; replaceable like RAM or SSD: need to loosen six screws and remove bottom cover. "Easily" might be a mild overstatement. To be fair, I did open mine to replace the SSD & add a second SSD (M.2 42mm), and it took less than half an hour of cautious spudging. Also make sure to use the (BIOS) utility to deactivate the battery prior to opening the thing up.

Yes. Lenovo's been annoyingly rebranding this model over and over again.
    If there's any logic to it at all, I think it goes: Thinkpad Yoga 14 = Thinkpad Yoga 460 = Thinkpad Yoga S3

Models starting with "????" have 4th-generation (Haswell)
    Models starting with "20D*" have 5th-generation (Broadwell) Intel processors: http://psref.lenovo.com/Product/Think_Tablets_and_Convertibles/ThinkPad_Yoga_14
    Models starting with "20E*" have 6th-generation (Skylake) Intel processors: http://psref.lenovo.com/Product/Think_Tablets_and_Convertibles/ThinkPad_Yoga_460
    BB exclusive model: 20FY has (6th-gen Intel; FHD+stylus):

If you're buying online, you'll want to double-check the model number (appears on sticker on bottom), to check for stylus function. Or have the seller snap a picture of the Windows "System Information" screen, and check for "Pen and Touch Support with 10 touch points".

Mooni_nooni and Starlight5 like this.
  8. SciuriusRex

As for generic advice, I was probably looking around for similar models, and decided to avoid the Yoga 2 Pro & Yoga 3 Pro because there seems to be way too many of them for sale in otherwise great condition with failed motherboards. Same goes for the latest Surface models. And the Surface Book. Replacement motherboards are also hideously expensive for these devices (the last point applies to the TPY460 as well).

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I ain't got no warranty, either.

Mooni_nooni and Starlight5 like this.
  9. Starlight5

Starlight5 Yes, I'm a cat. What else is there to say, really?

@SciuriusRex fwiw I saw a cheap replacement motherboard for TPY 460 lately; when I got my hands on one with failed mobo it was not the case, had to sell it by parts instead of repairing.

10. Mooni_nooni

Mooni_nooni BootLEG

Okay I checked on eBay on ty460 models you said,most are refurbished.

Idk why its so hard for these companies to name their products properly. Until now I cannot tell any Dell xps 13 apart,especially the stylus ones.

I looked into that BB model -open box just looks so awesome to buy at $644 ,but what disappointed me ATM is that I'm actually going to end up buying it $704 because I have to pay $60 for tax, then 34 weight shipping and $17 commission.
    I'm going way over my budget so now I feel paranoid.
    Because that would apply to parts too if I end up with a fault.
    I'm a student and my work is only at summer. And I can't do art commissions without a computer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.