5 linux distros on Acer W500

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by xyzaid, Sep 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xyzaid

xyzaid Pen Pal - Newbie

2. Greg_E

Greg_E Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks, I think I tried Fedora 17 and had a horrible experience, same with one of the older Ubuntu distros. Good to see something is happening, I'd really like to get Fedora working well while I wait for more "new UI" win8 apps.

On another note, have you been able to upgrade the graphics driver on the w500 and still have rotation?

3. Greg_E

Fedora 19 is pretty close straight out of the box. Autorotation isn't working, you can't click on things on the top tab bar, and the onscreen keyboard doesn't work in all the text boxes (like software installer), no noises when you click on a key on the onscreen keyboard. Bluetooth is working for a keyboard, 2.4ghz wireless mouse works fine. Wifi works out of the box, volume key works, Windows key open the applications window.

4. Greg_E

The more I play with it, the more work it still needs. Onscreen keyboard stays up even if it has a BT keyboard attached, and man it is slow! Not sure if the slowness is from the stock 32gb drive or something else, but slow beyond belief for a Linux device. I'll try posting a message in the Fedora forums and see what happens, but I don't expect much, they seem to be living in a mostly desktop world still.

5. xyzaid

xyzaid Pen Pal - Newbie

hi

yeah ubuntu is also very slow on the tablet, thanks to unity
    i think my next try will be lubuntu, as i failed in upgrading my windows 8.1 preview to final windows 8.1 (0x8070003 error :-(
    lubuntu | lightweight, fast, easier

6. Greg_E

I think a lot of it comes down to getting the ATI driver installed correctly which I wasn't able to do. Think I may swap back to my win8 SSD and try the 8.1 update for a while. I really like what they've done with Gnome, but I need to get more features working before I can commit to using it. Fired up a Ubuntu 12.x LTS machine last friday on an Intel Atom computer, I just don't like it much and it won't let me set the correct resolution without trying to turn it 90 degrees. Again probably something with the Intel graphics that I need to work out.

7. Greg_E

The latest Fedora 20 is working reasonably well even without fooling with theAMD drivers. Firefox doesn't like touch scrolling, you need to grab the scroll bar, but I'm typing this with the onscreen keyboard. There are some things to work out, rotation doesn't change automatically, not sure it ever will on this tablet.