5.1 sound ?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by tm2touchsmartuser, May 1, 2011.

1. tm2touchsmartuser

tm2touchsmartuser Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi guys,
    Does this tablet support 5.1 sound system? I'm thinking of buying 5.1 speakers and connecting it to the tablet. Is it doable? I've heard sound card has to support 5.1 sound. I've searched internet but couldn't find soundcard model HP put into TM2 :/

2. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Out of a normal audio port, no it does not, the Tm2 has only one audio port (and it is just a stereo audio output/ mic in combo port)

Now, the Tm2 has a HDMI port that AFAIK supports 5.1 surround sound, so you would need to go Tm2 ==> HDMI ==> Home theater decoder (whatever its called) ==> 5.1 speaker system

To get 5.1 your only real easy option is to get something like this Amazon.com: Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro USB Audio System with THX SB1095: Computer & Accessories, and it would basically be plug-and-play so it is easy to use

Have you bought a Tm2 yet? if not I would recommend getting a different Tablet PC for equal or less than the Tm2's cost (the Tm2's screen is junk, among other issues)

3. tm2touchsmartuser

tm2touchsmartuser Pen Pal - Newbie

Thx for the info Agent_9. I'll look into it.
    Yes, I have bought it already unfortunately :(. Although it's working fine it feels like I overpaid for it. What else would you recommend ? I guess the one from your signature is a lot better :). Damn, I've read so many reviews of TM2 and everyone (here included) was saying it's a good buy overall.

4. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hey, sorry for the delayed response (I am getting bogged down by end-of-semester work that I have to get done)

I would recommend one of the good Core 2 Duo Tablet PC's (typically $400-700 used from Ebay); or one of the upcoming 'Sandy Bridge' Tablet PC's if you can afford it (2nd generation Core-i series, not out quite yet, but $1,200 and up will be the price for half a year or more)... the Arrandale (first generation Core-i, $700-1,200 used from Ebay) were IMO very poorly implemented [this is Intel's fault, as they ran hot, have short battery life, and were barely a improvement over the Core 2 Duo processors the replaced]

So the C2D models to look at are the HP 2730p, Lenovo X200t (available with a touchscreen as a option), and the Fujitsu T4410 & T5010 (the T5010 having a 13.3" 1280x800 screen, so if a little more screen space would benefit you then this is the only real option). The SB models to look at are the HP 2760p (not out yet), Lenovo X220t (available for pre-order, but not actually out yet), Fujitsu T901 (the SB equivalent of the T5010, and this one is out in some countries, but not the US)

Again, I would recommend avoiding these as there was really very little improvement with these, especially with them running hot while having short battery life; but here they are anyways: HP 2740p, Lenovo X201t, Fujitsu T730 & T900

The Fujitsu's are all 1.5" thick with a sort of rounded look to them, while the HP's and Lenovo's are 1" thick and look like a 'business notebook'. but anything but the computers I listed are really not worth it at all (only possible exception is the ASUS EP121, but it is a slate only Arrandale based Tablet PC -short battery life)

If you are looking to maintain the ability to game extremely well (actually it would be a HUGE upgrade from your Tm2) the best option is to get one of the Tablet PC's I mentioned (not the ASUS EP121 in this case) and put together a DIY ViDock for $250-350 using the ExpressCard slot (so it is a easy plug and go setup for you)... basically you would be able to play nearly any game at high or ultra high settings on your internal, simply by having the 'dock' connected properly through a expresscard adapter (it has somewhat limited frames per second -around 30 usually on internal screen; and it requires a fairly powerful processor to tackle the big titles -a SL9400 OC'd like mine can do very well, but a better C2D processor would be better -like the Full Voltage C2D's in the Fujitsu's; otherwise a Full Voltage Arrandale/ Sandy Bridge Core-i processor would be best)