4220 review (brief, but more to come)

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by AUindd, Aug 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AUindd

AUindd Pen Pal - Newbie

Okay, so I've had the 4220 for about a month now, and have been using it extensively. My specs are as follows:

C2D 2.0 ghz
    2.5 gig RAM
    I updated the HDD myself to a 120 gig Toshiba

Preface

I primarily use the laptop for Design work, so the programs are Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, and Sketchbook Pro. I can say that at first I was a bit dissapointed with the pressure sensitivity. It did a decent job of picking up pressure from medium to thick, but IMO lacked the sensitivity of a really light hand (or so I thought). Turns out that with the obvious adjustments to the Wacom preferences, and with a custom brush set up in Sketchbook, the pressure sensitivity is very workable and very nice.

Pen

The pen included is only average I would say. Maybe it's just me, but I feel the buttons are a bit too high. Pressing the top button is a little awkward at times as I have the bottom one set to double click and the top set to right click. Does anyone even use the eraser?! This thing seems more like an after thought than a useful feature. It's got a very stiff spring load to it which makes it very difficutl to tightly erase in PS or Sketchbook. I usually end up doing the erasing with the pen tip anyway. All in all it gets the job done nicely, but I feel they could have delivered a bit more here.

Screen

Absolutely no gripes here. Even with the screen protector on, it is very bright and clear. Viewing angles are really nice too.

Build

Overall, I would say very nice. My gripes lie in the latch, which seems very unstable to me. Also, when I have the laptop in tablet mode, it seems it is not flush. I get slight movement when I press to hard with the pen. This can sometimes be a nuisance when sketching.

--

So these are just a few brief observations i wanted to touch on. I hope to use it for a few more weeks and give a more detailed review. Even after a month of heavy use, I am very very very pleased with the purchase. It really is extremely useful, and a tool that cuts my work time in half! I would highly recommend it to artists as it blows through PS with ease.

In the meantime feel free to ask any specific ?'s you have.

2. Arquis

Arquis Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a question: I was planning on buying this tablet soon, and would like to know if the screen is durable enough to use without a screen protector, or if one is absolutely needed.

3. walkertx

walkertx Pen Pal - Newbie

Is your screen sxga or xga ?

4. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The pen feels a little cheap, but I haven't found any better stock pens on other tablets either. You might want to try some of Wacom's styluses ;-) though they likely won't fit in the pen holder.

I know what you mean by screen movement in tablet mode, personal investigation leads me to believe it is due to wear on the black rubber bits flanking the screen latch. While the white bits on the other side are still plump and round, the black ones seem to have been flattened and worn down. I wonder if Fujitsu makes spares for these? Hehe...

Is your latch made of black plastic as well? Mine is, and broke once on me when I set my bag down a little too hard... with my T4210 inside. P8RSON informed me that the T-series from Fujitsu Siemens supposedly comes with the latch made from aluminium.

5. Smoothcrm7

Smoothcrm7 Pen Pal - Newbie

I have been using the screen since I got mine without the screen protector and its held up perfectly.

6. Rieuk

Rieuk Scribbler - Standard Member

I would agree with, and can relate to most, if not all of AUindd's comments on the latest Fujitsu tablet (though I have a T4215 which has the same design). I especially agree with the screen not sitting flush - this was extremely annoying when taking notes since every time I lifted my hand to adjust the writing position and brought it back down there'd be a thudding noise which was embarassing in lectures.

What I did was stick some paper with sticky tape in the latch cavity to make the release grip onto it with no clearance and the problem was solved. Though now the release button has started moving around and the thudding has returned. Don't know what I'll do now.

I don't know about yours Kureshii, but the rubber bits on my screen never actually touched the base of the tablet when the screen was closed (due to the slight inset the touchpad is placed in).

I also never use the eraser function on the back of the pen since it limits your ability to erase both fine (you can't accurately tell the point of contact) and light (spring is too stiff).

7. kureshii

In laptop mode the rubber bits (white) do touch when closed, but not in tablet mode (black bits). The black bits are also noticeably worn down, perhaps due to contact with my bag. I'll upload a photo if I buy a digital camera soon.

I do use the eraser function, since tapping the eraser button is too trouble some for me... there's the erase cursor which helps me erase somewhat accurately. Overcame the stiff spring by playing with sensitivity settings.

8. AUindd

AUindd Pen Pal - Newbie

My screen is the standard XGA - I would have hoped for SXGA, but the resolution really isn't that much of a problem. There are rarely instances when I wish I had more screen. I would definitely say the screen will hold up w/o the protector, but they were there, so I was like, "what the hell." I see no reason to take it off now, because I honestly do not notice it there. I will say that I had a fun time figuring out the screen protector though. Maybe it's just me, but they include two of them. Each one has 3 pieces to it - a tacky, flimsy sheet, a thicker sheet, and then the actual screen protector itself. It took me a while to figure out which one was intended as the protector. Maybe I'm just an idiot (did anyone else have this problem?).

As far as the movement of the screen goes (when in tablet mode), I have thought of a few work arounds which I haven't tried. Doesn't seem like a big problem to fix, but it would be nice if they had done it to begin with :).

More brief notes:

- the speakers are really terrible on this thing, but they do produce noise... haha.

- I have grown to love the position of the pen next to the screen. It fits very nicely, and has no movement to it.

- The screen hinge feels very sturdy and nice. It looks like it will last a loooooong time.

- Battery life is acceptable - around 3 hours with everything running on blast. When I have the DVD drive taken out, it seems to last significantly longer. Also, you can very easily turn down the brightness via the Function Key.

- No Bloatware, really. Only a few programs to remove, which was a very easy task.

- The Scroll Button on the touchpad worries me a bit. I just have a sneaky suspicion that it is going to give out after lots of use. It also has a very stiff spring load. It sometimes makes scrolling smoothly a bit difficult.

9. kureshii

Ah, about the battery life, yes... it seems mechanical moving parts are one of the main reasons for battery suckage. Minimise DVD and hard disk mechanical movement and you save quite a bit on battery life (just wait til SSD drives are affordable...) Next would be the screen; as long as it isn't on full brightness the battery life should be pretty decent.

As for the scroll button, I don't use it to scroll... there's virtual scrolling and the nicely positioned pgup/pgdn for that =) My scroll up button is mapped to middle click, and scroll down is mapped to Windows+D. They're much more useful that way.

10. hokiecorps

hokiecorps Pen Pal - Newbie

Along the same lines as screen protectors, how often should pen tips be replaced?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.