4215 SXGA - Is it Wide Angle?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by P8RSON, Dec 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

To be honest, apart from mechanical damage, I've not seen many screens having to be replaced.

They're not toughbooks but they can stand a fair amount of use.

Just remember to use a screen protector.

2. justauser

justauser Scribbler - Standard Member

I have a 4215 with the SXGA+ screen. Not sure how to tell what the viewing angle is. The manual technical specs section says "Standard viewing angle"

3. P8RSON

It's already been mentioned it is 45 degrees left and 50 degrees right.

4. sunn

sunn Pen Pal - Newbie

justauser,

Since you have one in your hands, and angle is difficult to visualize (out of 180 and 90°) perhaps you can tell us :

when you are sit confortably on your chair (your shoulder against your chair), the screen of the T4215 in slate mode flat on your desk in front of you is usable ? in portrait and landscape mode ? don't you have to bend above the computer to have the screen viewable ?

Of course, if you can post some pictures of the screen on different angle, at viewing limit angle, limit of colour fading angle... lost of us would be thankfull ;)

hope to read you soon :)

5. P8RSON

sunn,
    I mentioned in the post above yours of the viewong angles.
    Also, if you read this topic correctly and look at post 8, you will see that member TWN posted angles as well.

6. sunn

sunn Pen Pal - Newbie

P8RSON,

Thank you for your precisions and fast reponse, but I think i didn't express myself correctly (please, excuse my poor english) :

I did have read that viewing angle are :

H-left : 45
    H-right : 50
    V-up : 50
    V-down : 50

but,
    - since i cannot really figure out what is 50° (45° is more easy but ...)
    - those angles do not really tell if from 50° (or 45) the screen is totally dark or only the colour are starting to fade
    - beside those angles, how is it really when you work with, the computer on the desk, on knees...
    - Playing with a string as you did suggest is a good idea but no match with pictures
    - I also tried with my actuall laptop and moving around whil looking at the screen... sigh...
    and more :
    - how about the indoor only screen in a sunny day ? with partial shade ? is it still not usable even if you put your own shadow on the screen ?

well any thing that is adding information is welcome for me ;)

I did ask a seller to tell me about it and all the information that i got was "the SXGA+ screen is nice but the XGA indoor/outdoor viewing angle beat it by a mile" :confused:
    Well, hum, thanks to him but it is not one information that can help me to really figure out how it is...

7. P8RSON

No need to offer an apology for your English sunn, my knowledge of other languages is far more limited:)

I understand your concerns sunn but these checks you seek are very personal.
    As such the only way you will obtain an absolute true identity of the screen is by viewing one yourself.

Is there absolutely no way you can obtain this information at first hand?

If not, let us hope we can all contribute in giving you some guidance on this matter.

8. Bhaltair

Bhaltair Pen Pal - Newbie

Do NOT believe the Fujitsu Sales reps. I'm sorry to say this, but I purchased a ST5030D in the beginning of the year and had to deal with two major "lies" by the sales reps. The first main one was that they upgraded the video chip (to 915) and that it WOULD run Vista with all the options.
    I'm currently trying to get them to fix this issue. I'm in the last stage ("escalating it up to Customer Service" time).

I'm used to the 180 viewing angle on my ST5030. I'm not sure I'd want to go back to a "regular laptop" screen that starts to look poor when you move it around. Remember, this is a tablet pc. I lay the tablet on the desk and take notes all the time. Blah. Now I'm back to the original question of which one to grab?

I've also wondered how good the indoor/outdoor screens are, or to restate, how much do they add to grainy look?

9. P8RSON

Bhaltair,
    Whilst I appreciate your frustration in what you have received as issues, it is wrong however to assume just because you have experienced a problem the whole Fujitsu organisation of Customer departments are equally as bad.

Every company, regardless to how rich in experience will at some stage inhibit a problem.
    Provided these problems remain isolated, there is no need for concern.

Yes, if you have an issue, take it up directly with the department you liaised with.

However, both Fujitsu and Fujitsu Siemens have most probably the very best Customer and Tech Supp available.
    Hence why I use their machines on such a regular basis.

10. Bhaltair

Bhaltair Pen Pal - Newbie

P8rson,
    While I appreciate your dedication to the Fujitsu company, understand that I dealt with about 8 of their sales staff over the span of 4 months and since then almost a year via e-mail and technical staff. To be fair, America's calls go to Canada and that's where they're dealt with from what I've experienced.
    While I know that Fujitsu has been labeled the "best" in customer care, I also know that it's far from perfect. I never said the whole organization is poor. In fact, I like their machines. A few of the staff are very knowledgeable and very willing to help you with all of your problems. Also know that I've been waiting for almost a year for them to fix my otterbox.
    I do know that when I sent my tablet in for repair, it was not completely fixed. Fujitsu is very known for this problem. It's also fair to say that almost every computer company out there is also well known for this. I've read multiple websites with hundreds of users that state pretty much the same thing. There was a great thread over on the buzz that summed up my thoughts with Fujitsu as well:
    A person buys a ST50xx. The screen peels. They call in and get it "fixed." It is returned and not fixed. It's sent back to repair and returned. The screen peeling issue is not fixed still. It's sent back in and instead of a refund they gave her a refurb. The screen peeled on the refurb as well. The person never bought Fujitsu again.

While I'm not going to be like that user, I do think that the model does have some design issues. Besides their sales staff not knowing what they're talking about (Most never have used a tablet - I ask - and look at this post. It's about getting multiple employees telling different stories about a critical question in sales) they make verbal contracts while selling you a good. That's not good for their company. This is the main reason why I'm sending my unit back (if they let me) simply because they lied when I purchased it.

To be blunt - my next tablet WILL be a Fujitsu. I am not knocking their whole organization at all. I'm just saying it's like a car lot - do your own studies and know what you're talking about before you purchase your goods because in my opinion they don't.

Come on - (for labor) you get what you pay for.
    On the downside.. if this is the "very best" that is out there, then another company could easily swoop in and provide better care.
    I know they're ranked high, I just know my own experience with them. I also have read some others who love their service, but they also had machines that were sent in and got refunds on their purchase.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.