4210 Dual Display Resolution

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by caeci11ius, Jul 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. caeci11ius

caeci11ius Moderator Moderator

I've been hanging out to buy a convertible tablet for ages, and was about to go with the M400 but in the last week or two the T4210 has become available in Australia. As I don't think i'll miss the extra resolution on such a small display I think i'll get the 4210, particularly as you can't configure the machines here and it comes with twice the RAM (faster RAM too) and is just a teency bit smaller and lighter with a longer battery life...

edit: they also include the dvd-rw which Toshiba don't...i'm definately getting the Fujitsu now, particularly as everyone seems to have a good opinion of Fujitsus in general and their tech support, whereas Toshiba seems to spark highly variable opinions...

Anyway, my question is this. The US website quotes the maximum resolutions for the tablet as:

"Maximum internal display resolution: 1024x768, 16M colors; external monitor resolution: 1600x1200, 16M colors; simultaneous display resolution 1024 x 768"

Personally I find this very odd, particularly as the Apple MacBook (which is known to have an underclocked GPU of the same type) is able to output a display at 1920*1200 with its own display running at 1280*800 simultaneously. Is it possible that Fujitsu have listed the max res for a mirrored display (i.e. with the displays showing the same picture) in which case this would make sense? Or perhaps assigned some arbitrary limit in software which you could change easily enough?

Perhaps one of the few people who actually have the machine could have a go with this and let me know what they can find out?

2. PYROTAK

PYROTAK Scribbler - Standard Member

i hope its not actually dually 1024x768 becuase thats boardering on joke status.

even my laptop from SIX years ago could manage better than that.

i really hope its a typo or something. either that or integrated graphics is an even bigger joke than i thought. (i have never used integrated graphics ever! since the beginning of time!)

3. caeci11ius

It would seem odd when a machine with the same graphics chipset can output a much higher dual display res. It's actually quite irritating that for most hardware it's not possible to find stats on what the maximum dual display resolution is. Apple seem to be the only ones keen to publish it...Fujitsu haven't listed it on all of their international websites. Toshiba don't list a figure at all for the M400...

4. butanamine

butanamine Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah, I agree with ridiculousness. The lack of ability to display 1600x1200 externally and dually is crazy! This would be the only redeeming feature that would make me consider this laptop again after realising no SXGA+.

5. PYROTAK

Same. Without SXGA+ it better be able to do a high dually/single WIDESCREEN resolution.

Someone fireup ULTRAMON and tell us whats the story with the dually resolutions!

6. butanamine

butanamine Pen Pal - Newbie

Oh and by the way, 2 of 1024x768 (1572864 pixels) is less than 1 of 1600 x 1200 (1920000)... ):

7. PYROTAK

i don't know man this is kind of suspect. my 64mb geforce4200 go, which is a pretty lousy graphics card can do dually 1920x1200 + 1680x1050 at the same time.

maybe i just have to hope that the asus has dedicated graphics.

8. jerrmorn

jerrmorn Pen Pal - Newbie

Here is an actual field test!

I would have done this sooner, but I am a Realtor and when things get hot I have to focus on my clients (they pay the bills so I can buy more gadgets!). I use my T4210 solely for mobile use and don't connect it to another monitor. But I installed UltraMon (which I use on my dual display desktop), connected to a 17" Dell CRT laying around, and this is the answer:

The T4210 displays 1024x768 on it's LCD while 1280x1024 max on the external display simultaneously.

Now, I could be doing something stupid, but that is the best I was able to configure it. In general terms though, I have no problems with the display for my purposes. Your requirements may be different, but for typical mobile use it works and looks just fine.

Let me know if any other questions.

-Jerr

9. DragonFly

DragonFly Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, that's awesome! The 1280x1024 max migth be due to the LCD's max resolution - I'm sure it can do higher than that.

10. caeci11ius

Thanks for the test Jerrmorn, just a few questions:

* Did you test to see the max output res with lower colour depth and refresh rate (e.g. 16bit/60Hz) (please try setting this on both displays if you didn't try it before)?
    * Are widescreen output resolutions supported for the secondary monitor?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.