3rd Year Anniversary - Q702

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by XJ12, Mar 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. XJ12

XJ12 Scribbler - Standard Member

Looking like I'll be sticking with my Q702 also. Next year would be the earliest at the three year mark. Hearing talk around the water cooler that IT department is considering four year refresh cycle now. That and we're still on Windows 7. With my early retirement possibility in 2017, the Q702 might be my last work machine!

2. XJ12

Updated Title to reflect 3rd Anniversary

Two units still going strong.

Power button on mine sometimes doesn't register when cycled. The only noticeable wear and tear.

Started charging the battery 100%. Had the setting last three years set to only charge to 80% to extend life of battery. 100% works great, feels like a new machine. Hopefully it will last another year till official company refresh.

Used it a few weeks ago outdoors in mid thirty degree weather for several hours. Previously noted the N-trig acting up in cold conditions. Surprisingly, it worked well. Possibly having it in the portfolio the machine could keep itself warm. Had a few stray clicks now and again. But didn't render it useless as previously experienced.

3. XJ12

machines' future may be coming to a close.

we're considering going to HP's x2 1012 G1 with the m7 as a replacement.

Following considerations/benefits:

1) Nearly same performance as Q702
    2) about same weight
    3) built to same Mil spec
    4) has 3:2 aspect ratio
    5) USB-C that is Thunderbolt compatible
    6) much better battery life
    7) maybe better digitzer with Wacom AES
    8) fanless
    9) WiGig dock solution
    10) external GPU through Thunderbolt?
    11) lighter weight keyboard option
    12) smart card reader in keyboard
    13) has fingerprint reader like Q702
    14) has SD card support in tablet like Q702
    15) has WWAN capability
    16) twice the memory of our Q702's
    17) Four times more disk storage

4. XJ12

Just upgraded SD card to a micro 128GB SD card using an adapter. Preparing for a new machine which only accepts the micro SD card. For those wondering if the machine can run the 128GB card, it can and does. Full SD 64GB card has been a champ with over three years of daily use.

5. XJ12

It's done. We now have the new machines and the Q702 is in a drawer. Still need it to compare old setup to the new machine. Little by little, the new machine is replicating the old. The Q702 was rock solid and a good run for 3 1/2 years as my main machine. Still may find a use for it. But for now, won't be my daily driver anymore.

Two things stand out the most between the Q702 and new HP Elite X2 1012 G1. Not that the Q702's fan was really loud, just because it sits right next to you in a dock makes it noticeable. The new fanless design is really nice. Would it be too bold to declare that the Q702 is my last tablet that will ever have a fan? The second thing I like better is the aspect ratio. Now have 6 5/8" of writing width in portrait mode, where the Q702 was almost an 1" less.

kvoram and thatcomicsguy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.