3rd Year Anniversary - Q702

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by XJ12, Mar 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. XJ12

XJ12 Scribbler - Standard Member

Our two Q702's are still going strong after one year. (two years now)

A couple of weeks ago the touch screen started to be unresponsive near one of the edges while the pen would work fine in the same area. Huh, maybe one does need to calibrate the screen once in a while. That worked! Went months since the last time it was calibrated after a Fujitsu software upgrade.

Loving the dock.

Actually took the Q702 and the Surface Pro on last business trip. Now computers are small enough, throwing in a second one was hardly noticeable.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  2. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

It's amazing how inexpensive a refurbished Q702 is in the Fuji outlet. The I3 version is selling at auction for less than I paid for my Bay Trail Atom, 8" Asus M80TA tablet. Fujitsu Stylistic Q702 11 6" i3 Hybrid Tablet PC Slate Refurb | eBay

Edit: Sold for $442. I3 Ivy Bridge CPU, HD4000 graphics, HD nonglare display, N-Trig touch and pen, keyboard/battery. I paid $375 for Quad Bay Trial Atom, nerffed HD4000 graphics, gorilla glass display, Wacom, no keyboard. The Q702 is really tempting.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  3. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

At one point, some auctions were closing on the $400s, but then, the device got scarce to the point of completely disappearing from the Fuji store.

It's been back this week, but some of the auctions now do not include the keyboard.

4. fuji

fuji Pen Pal - Newbie

Lucky USA... for that price I'd buy mine, but as I'm living in Europe, I'm not going to pay an overprice for duties, shipping,etc.

5. XJ12

My Q702 Setup
    Q702station.jpg

6. XJ12

Still miss my old TC1000 dock where one could articulate it down into a writing position. As usual with a lot of these technologies, two steps forward and one step back.

Actually looked into getting a monitor with touch/digitizer that articulates. Unless you're willing to pay two grand, there's not really a good option out there. Some with capacitance touch can use a stylus that just is a substitute for your finger. Then there's the whole aspect ratio issue where 16:9 1080p is dominating the market. I like the portrait mode and 16:9 leaves very little real estate for width (also an issue with the tablet). Found very few 16:10 offerings that had a VGA input (as Fujitsu dock only has VGA out). Thought I'd better hurry and buy one now before they don't exist anymore. The 24" HP ZDi fit the bill with 1920x1200 which matches the native out from the tablet. Has to be IPS also as cheap TN displays being sold look terrible (text is blurry) when rotated into portrait.

ykvishal likes this.
  7. XJ12

Hopefully others can benefit from my random sharing of info.

Since the Q702 is my only computer at work it has to function as a desktop also. It was a very difficult decision to buy the Q702 as it only offered a 120GB HD. We have a 3 year refresh policy at work so it almost broke the deal. But, I've grown tired of worrying about a spinning drive that is one drop from not working. Solid state in a mobile is almost mandatory in my book.

Back to the 120GB limitation. Made the hard choice to store ALL data on an SD card. So far it has worked flawlessly for over a year now. Almost feels like the old days when I got a new computer, I'd pull the data drive out of the old one and install it into the new one. Pop out the SD card, put into the new one. Still one of the fastest ways to transfer data that I know of. 64GB in 3 seconds.

Bronsky likes this.
  8. XJ12

more random info:

started "Paperless" effort back in 1997. Like to keep everything. Working a major project, had a desk covered and paper stacks along the floor to the point my office door wouldn't open all the way. Had five full file cabinets in office and running out of room. I had my files along with ones I inherited from a predecessor.

Now have 21,000+ documents in 1000+ folders on my computer occupying less then 14GB.

Observation: No matter how much I store on my computer, the computer keeps getting smaller.

I could actually put the files on a smart phone these days.

Down to two file cabinets that are mostly empty and my desk is clear. All the files are OCR'd and can be searched in minutes. All in a 1.87 lb device that I can carry almost anywhere.

9. XJ12

Subject: Cell Phone Tethering

Last business trip, hotel by airport didn't offer free WiFi. Really? I had one e-mail that I really wanted to send out. Had my cell phone with me and thought I could tether my Q702 through it. I thought all normal/approved tethering required a paid option on the cell phone carrier. A little desperate I was googling a work around... Then discovered my Win 8 phone had it baked right in with no issue. Internet Sharing under settings. You can buy these phones at Walmart for $99, as a prepaid deal, but I swapped my sim card from my regular t-mobile account. Was surprised to find it all works and was able to connect my Q702 through WiFi to my cheap phone/plan.

10. XJ12

Finally, after a year and a half, got the low battery warning on the pen:
    battery.jpg
    low battery.jpg

dceggert likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.