32GB vs 64GB How much memory is "Needed"

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by feeddagoat, Feb 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. feeddagoat

feeddagoat Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey everybody

I've saw a few discussions between people about 32GB vs 64GB storage on Windows 8 tablet. Currently only the 32GB is available on the tablet I want but I keep hesitating pulling the trigger on getting one based on those discussions. I have no experience with windows 8 or how much memory applications will take up so I'm asking the community what sort of programs and apps have you on mainly your atom based windows 8 tablet and how much storage do they take up? The main use of the tablet for me will be note taker, media consumption and reading code on the go. The apps I intend to install

Office and OneNote
    Notepad++
    PDF reader
    Netflix
    Steam
    Football Manager 2012
    Possibly some drawing program so I can learn how to draw.
    Some sort of RSS application

Will 32GB be a tight squeeze or would it still leave me with enough space for other programs and apps? I look forward to hearing your views and opinions.

2. WuBoy

WuBoy Scribbler - Standard Member

For the most part, if those are the only things you need you'll be fine. 32 GB isn't a lot, but you can download everything you named up there and have room to spare. You'll definitely need a micro SD card in case you want to store any media.

The one hiccup may be Steam. I forget, do you DL games or stream them using Steam. If it's the former, then you'll probably want the 64 because I can imagine games will fill that little space quick.

3. feeddagoat

Thanks for the reply. The likes of football manager will be downloaded and I might put a total war game on it for occasional lunches and the occasional weekend in Donegal where the laptop is more hassle than it's worth. Solitaire/minesweeper/mahjong I've been enjoying on my phone so they'll likely go on for bus journeys. My laptop is usually with me if I can predict having time free when I'm away from my desktop but there are time's I leave it and end up browsing or reading something on the kindle app on my phone which becomes a pain. I've also started taking a notepad with me everywhere plus the many at home for general notes or working on some problem which ends up torn and dog-eared so the tablet will replace that. The tablet will remove some of the reliance on my phone which really isn't built for those tasks and support the laptop/desktop.

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Will 32GB be a tight squeeze...>>

feed: Just my personal opinion, based on having owned a 32GB tablet (back in the Windows 7 days) and loading a few of the applications that you call out above. I'd wait for the 64GB version to be available, or look for another brand of tablet with 64GB of system storage. After loading Office, Adobe Reader, ArtRage and a few other apps, I only had about 9 GB of free space left, and I was not comfortable with that. Note that Windows 8 / 8.1 has a somewhat smaller installed footprint, and it can be made even smaller with some judicious "streamlining," but once you start storing media you're going to start using up your free space fairly quickly.

Again, just my opinion, but I've never bought less than 64 GB since...

Good luck with your decision, whatever it turns out to be...

5. feeddagoat

Thanks Steve. The 64GB option i certainly would feel more comfortable with. While the Venue Pro 8 almost fits the bill, the hassle of batteries for the pen and lack of confidence in the technology puts me off it. Reports on here tho on how much work has went into drivers for the venue tho have made the decision to settle for 32GB, grab the 64GB venue pro and hope things improve further or wait on both a very tough choice almost forcing the third option. How ever, i was ready to pull the trigger on a thinkpad tab 2 when i waited for the galaxy note 8 then heard about bay trail and decided to wait again. I feel if i keep waiting it will be another year on. Ive been burnt by promises of potential before that WYSIWYG Is the approach in starting to take and ignoring "potential".

6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I feel if i keep waiting it will be another year on...>>

...And I think that you're absolutely right. The promise of future tablets will always seem to overshadow the present. I always approach a tablet purchase as the device I'd like to live with now, bearing in mind that I'm likely to sell it in a year or two (or three - EP121) for that new model that I heard rumors about yesterday! Such is the pace of tablet development and mass production.

If your need is immediate, go ahead and buy that 32GB tablet and add a large microSD card, as WuBoy suggests. Take good care of it and resell it at the appropriate time. You will probably get back only about 40%, but that can still be a big boost towards getting the tablet that you really want when it finally becomes available (and it works!).

Again, good luck...

7. WuBoy

WuBoy Scribbler - Standard Member

It's generally bad to put too much thought in what's over the horizons before you make a purchase. There are always newer and better things coming out. That's the way of the tech world. If you spend too much time worrying about what's going to be out in the future, you'll never be happy with a purchase. The only thing you can do is assess your needs and buy what's best to address them. If you feel there is something out now that can serve you just well for your desired time period. Then if something better comes along, it will be irrelevant because you're already getting what you need. Now if there is nothing available that fits your needs and you can hold off for a while, you might want to wait and see what pops up. What Steve suggests about buying and selling is possible too, but honestly, depending on what you get, even 40% might be a stretch. I mean the DV8P came out at $300, and you can already find it being sold brand new at $200, and it's only been out what? 3 or 4 months. In another 3 or 4 it might have dropped farther, further decreasing what you can hope to get back. Then you have things like the Surface Pro that is less than a year old, but is being sold brand new at 50% of its starting cost. So with the market the way it is, it may be hard to resell any tablet and get anything reasonable back, at least for the more popular brands.

8. quantumpcsupport

quantumpcsupport Pen Pal - Newbie

I can share my own experience. I am using an Android Tablet pc (Ice cream Sand witch OS) for 1.5 years. It has 4GB Memory. Few months ago the memory was 2.5 GB full and my tablet pc was not getting started. I took the Tablet to service center and they said it was memory problem after fixing. I think if you have much memory and you utilize more the chance of malfunctioning increases.

9. feeddagoat

With more memory it should be safer. Isn't it built into Windows something that checks wear levels on flash memory and use "less worn" cells to balance ware. With android I though most memory problems where cause by lack of Trim support causing things to heavily slow down.

Yea Wu I agree. The device won't go to complete waste as someone in the family would likely inherit it and probably give a good price for it too. We seem to have hit an insanely rapid upgrade cycle For example I was looking at the thinkpad tab 2 last April. I didn't really want to compromise portability and go 10" and windows 8.1 was around. After that all that appeared was the Acer W3 which was a train wreck of a device. After realising that a windows 8" device wasn't looking likely I waited till the SGN8 released and played with it but again could bring myself to pull the trigger due to it not being what I wanted. Enough information had came out about bay trail that when it released I hoped Lenovo would re release the thinkpad tab 2 with it and call it a day at least or maybe something will happen on the 8" front. Toshiba and Lenovo miix 2 released then the Dell which is the first I took seriously. Driver problems are what put me off it and within a month Asus rumour had started. So another month till January so I didn't feel the wait was too long and the vivotab came out, and again another compromised device with 32GB. Asus have now released the 64GB version in the UK (2 days ago) which has stopped me yet again just pulling the trigger. I was actually gonna go for the 64GB dell which at least will at least allow handwritten notes on some level if I could ever find anywhere in the UK selling the Pen. It would actually cheaper then the 32GB Asus overall. The problem with the 64GB Asus.... £412 launch, up to £450 within 5 hours on Amazon. I'll wait until it falls again but TBH if things continue we'll be seeing a SGN refresh, new thinkpads and new processors and by the time any hit the market the world will have moved on. There was no need for Asus to delay a 64GB launch and in the end are only loosing sales to the point no one is buying anything. It's the closest thing to what I need really so I guess I'll hold off. I've happily settled for last gen tech before (my desktop) some of the jumps made with atom are good enough to wait for. If it comes to having to weigh that into the equation, it will be done so at the time. Lets see how Asus plays it.

I looked up apps in MS store and estimated storage based on quoted sizes and other posts about available memory. I've decided that 32GB would leave very little room to enjoy the device and the while I'm under 32GB, it wouldn't take much to push it over.

10. Mela

Mela Pen Pal - Newbie

I just bought a Lenovo Thinkpad II 32 GB. After turning it on (so nothing more than Win8, Office and a few apps of Lenovo to optimise it) there is already 15GB used by the system etc. So of the 32GB I have approx 15 left. Said that, a 32GB micro sd is £20 so MUCH cheaper than the 64GB model and I can put all my files on it and leave the programmes on the tablet memory. If I were you I'd go for the 32GB if it has the possibility to be expanded with an sd card

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.