32bit vs. 64bit

Discussion in 'Asus' started by henryhu, Mar 3, 2007.

1. henryhu

henryhu Pen Pal - Newbie

I am ordering express upgrade for my R1F. I want to know which one is better in terms of performace. I know the advantage and disadvantage for both version. But I want to know how is either version on R1F? Does 64bit runs much faster than 32bit on R1F or vice-versa? People who have install vista on R1F, can you tell me which one do you feel better?

2. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

64 bit offers minimal speed improvement unless you have a native 64 bit app. Apps that typically run on a tablet are NOT the 64 bit type. Drivers for many devices and accessories are not available in the 64 bit flavor.

You probably would be better off with a 32 bit version for now.

3. henryhu

henryhu Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't mean in general, I mean specific on R1F, how is the performance in comparison?

4. mattj

mattj Scribbler - Standard Member

i found 64 to actually run a lot slower. It crawls along.

Whilst 32 is much closer in feel n performance to xp.

I was all gun-ho for 64, but 3 days with it n i just couldn't stand it anymore.

Despite what people say, half my software wouldn't install or would be buggy as hell and u really get only half of the drivers u need working anyways.

It's not pleasant. I'll tell u that much.

5. audiorealis

audiorealis Pen Pal - Newbie

I was on 64bit and have now changed to 32bit Vista. I figured changing to 64bit now would save time and hassle in the long run, but the hassle it caused in the short run wasn't worth it. RAM usage on 64bit sits in the low 70% range when idling which is crazy when there's 1GB RAM available. The deal breaker for me though was that Microsoft haven't bothered to come up with 64bit drivers for the "Print to OneNote" option, which took away a huge part of OneNote's functionality and forced me to change to Vista 32bit. Runs fairly well, RAM usage is still high when idling (around 50%), but it's a good OS and Tablet PC features are great.

6. leewalk

leewalk Microsoft Guy

My R1F still hasn't arrived, but I'll be putting Vista x64 on it. If the driver support is there for you, x64 is the way to go.

I run Vista x64 on all of my computers instead of Vista x86 because of the substantial security improvements. Vista x64 is *much* less supceptible to rootkits, etc than Vista x86 (which is already more secure than XP).

Memory usage should always be high on Vista due to SuperFetch which preloads commonly used apps, etc to increase responsiveness.

Vista x64 also has some minor differences in some default settings (like bigger default desktop "heap" memory) which end up making a big difference in app responsiveness / fewer hangs.

Now if my R1F would get here! :)

Lee

7. mattj

mattj Scribbler - Standard Member

all i can say is that i have 1gb ram onboard n use 1gb thumbdrive via readyboost. I know they recommend 2gb of ram, but seriously, this is ridiculously slow!

and i've had more blue screens in 1 month of vista than i have had in 3 years of xp.

I stupidly tried to install nhc (notebook hardware control) to see what was my specific battery wear and the system totally freaked out, then blues screened. Then continued to blue screen after 5 seconds of windows restating. That took a while to figure out that NHC was auto loading lol. N all of that was at the most convenient time too. Just b4 a presentation.

The next blue screen caper was when I was downloading a couple of big files (I have changed my partitions to make c drive really small n d drive the data one) n the c drive got to 2gb left.. now there must have been some conflict with ram n hard drive space, cause it shot up an error saying that i was running out of space then immediately blue screened. XP would just stop everything n say "Whoaa buddy.. delete some stuff or move it to another drive" n u'd have a bit of time to act on it. Vista just blue screens and it that of course corrupted a couple of files. But what is more scary, is that a blue screen can corrupt OS files just as easily as data files. So after 5 years of work, how the hell is vista an improvement?

Oh n by the way.. that BSOD was also right b4 a hand in and I lost a bunch of written work for it. WOOT!

I can't rely on vista to be the workhorse that xp was. N the only 2 decent things are the search n the windows media player. The rest i can live without.

8. leewalk

leewalk Microsoft Guy

What were the bluescreens caused by? (I suspect a bad 3rd-party driver.) I haven't had a single bluescreen on any of my Vista installations.

Lee