32 or 64 on R1F

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Smoothcrm7, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Smoothcrm7

Smoothcrm7 Pen Pal - Newbie

Title pretty much says it all. Which version of windows comes pre installed on the Asus R1F if I purchased a vista business one it would include the 64 bit or the 32 bit of vista?

Thanks in advance!

2. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You need to order the 64 bit DVD from Microsoft.
    See here for further information.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. jdwilson

jdwilson Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, those of us who purchased the upgrade were told by Moduslink that Asus decided the 64-bit version wouldn't work with the R1F due to driver compatibility issues, and we had to accept the 32-bit version instead. I am not sure how accurate this is (since all we have is the reports of people on this forum and the word of Moduslink reps, rather than an official statement from Asus), but that was their excuse for canceling many orders by people who had selected the 64-bit option when it was originally offered.

4. Horsepower

Horsepower Pen Pal - Newbie

I bought 64 bit for mine because of the l-o-n-g wait for the upgrade. It's a "cop-out" for Asus or any other manufacturer not to support 64 bit because it's been around since 1960, and hit personal computers in 2003.

5. sunny

sunny Pen Pal - Newbie

Moduslink did this AFAIK with everyone, not just Asus customers. However you can still install 64bit, so no need to worry. There are just a couple of apps that are quite troublesome with vista64.

6. russki

russki Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, as we determined a little while ago, the R1F's chipset does not appear to support addressing over 4Gb of memory, so the benefits of the 64bit version (other than the slightly more secure core - which is, I give you, huge) are not as pronounced. And still you have to deal with shaky driver / software support. So I would say, for me, 32 bit.