32 and 64 bit Vista: Driver link list anywhere?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by pinky, Nov 24, 2006.

1. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hi,

I'm going to upgrade next week ( yay for MSDN ), and I was wondering if anyone has a consolidated list of Asus, Intel & other third party drivers for Vista yet.

2. Gautam

Gautam Moderator

Is there a specific driver you are thinking about? Most built in devices should be covered by standard Windows drivers. If you have third party devices, visiting the support links in the manufacturer's sites will help you to find the newest drivers.

3. Tsukiyomi

Tsukiyomi Scribbler - Standard Member

I believe there was a press release a few weeks ago stating that the R1 was the first computer to be completely WDM compliant, meaning that in the RTM version of Vista, all devices in theory should work out of the box, not requiring any non-MS bundled drivers.

I could be wrong.. I don't have Vista RTM installed on my R1, but I'm sure that most of the things under x32 work, if not x64.

4. Gautam

Gautam Moderator

That may be true for a few months, but there isn't really a way to have future device compatibility (i.e, new devices or technology).

For example, if someone wanted the driver for the Creative PCMCIA Audigy 2ZS for their beta2/RC1/RC2/RTM release, they can go to the Creative support page and download it. There are separate drivers for 32 and 64 bit Vista.

5. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I have access to MSDN, which posted Vista last week. I can tell you that absolutely there are a number of things NOT working. ATK gets installed, but lots of things are not working and that includes simple stuff like going to tablet mode and switching the screen orientation. I'm back on XP and going to wait until the spring until I think about trying this again.

6. saranya

saranya Pen Pal - Newbie

switching the screen in tablet mode and buttons work fine for me in vista. you do have to install the latest intel graphic software though.

although, I can't adjust the brightness. so that's one drawback.

7. Pyxus

Pyxus Pen Pal - Newbie

Can't you adjust the brightness using the mobility center slider?
    Just curious...

8. adamb78

adamb78 Pen Pal - Newbie

I tried the German drivers with RC2 (running this now). That gets everything working except some crashing LComs driver which I think is modem-related. UAC is annoying about the hotkey driver.

Other than that the volume hotkeys don't work and the fingerprint reader doesn't either (I found the driver but there is no "registration" software).

9. Gautam

Gautam Moderator

This may work, provided that the graphics card and hardware work together properly.

Usually, brightness is hardwired - look for an Fn+Left or Right arrow (maybe different buttons) that will adjust brightness.

10. saranya

saranya Pen Pal - Newbie

mobility slider does not work either for brightness.

the designated brightness function keys don't work either (the arrows do not either)