314 Media Center + Tablet?

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by vphifer, Jun 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vphifer

vphifer Pen Pal - Newbie

This may be an absolutely stupid question, but as I start to build a boot disk for a 314, using an XP Media Center disk set it occured to me that it might be nice to have the multi-media features combined with the tablet features? Is this a good/bad/great idea:confused: Any thoughts on the best way to go about it?

2. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I assume you are talking about the Acer C314 Tablet PC? I think your idea is great provided it suits your needs. How you would go about combining the functionality of both OS's is another story. I know we will see this type of combination available in some Vista incarnations. However doing this now may be a bit of a challenge if it's even possible. Good luck!

3. nfwolfpryde

nfwolfpryde Scribbler - Standard Member

My favorite is a program called BeyondTV. That's what i use in my Media Center PC, and it's world's better than Microsoft's thing, and a lot cheaper too. You can also use Beyond Media to view pictures and stuff, if you're not recording TV.

4. afinemetsfan

afinemetsfan Pen Pal - Newbie

There are software options other then microsoft MCE - I use SageTV on my HTPC, but a tablet doesnt serve much of a purpose as a DVR back end since hard disk space is limited and the quality of external TV tuners isint that great.

You could use the tablet as a front end client - and use another computer as a backend server - hmm wow I might even do this myself :)

If you want to try out the MCE/tablet combo - I reccomend installing tabley first and transferring the MCE services/registry entries and software from a MCE installation. -Its a longshot, but seems like it would be nice thing.

5. vphifer

vphifer Pen Pal - Newbie

I'll try that when I get the MOBO back for my HTPC

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2015
  6. Gautam

Gautam Moderator

IF you don't mind taking the risk of a few bugs, Vista Beta 2 (available to all people) has the media center and tablet features built in one release called "Ultimate"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.