$300 used Q550's on ebay.....worth it?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by sudermatt, Nov 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sudermatt

sudermatt Scribbler - Standard Member

ebay has a bunch of used q550's for around $300...these are the 64gig units.

I'm trying to decide if it's worth it. these have slower processors than my daughter's cell phone....

should I put the $300 away and save up for th Q702? which is what I really want....
    but those are $1000 for the base model....

Decisions..... what should I do?

2. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

It is difficult to project the value since it depends on a lot of factors. Many avoid the Q550 (and will the Q702 as well) because it has an N-trig digitizer. Others will tell you to avoid anything with an Atom chipset (apparently they never used the old Cetrino devices like the TC1100 or LS800 which are slower and less capable). I have no issue using my Q550 as my daily planner and digital companion for more than 1.5 years now; and it still looks and functions well. I have learned that it is limited when it comes to graphics intensive projects like video editing or large Visio files, but it handles most everything else acceptably for a mobile device (to those that say it just will not cut it I can say it also runs TurboCAD and I can update all my CAD drawings with it while I am in the field). I am also not interested in playing 1080p video on it like what most complain about that it cannot do; I cannot tell the difference between 1080p, 720p, or 480p on this size screen; it plays 720p just fine.

What the Q550 has going for it:

- 10.1" 16:10 screen making it compact to almost go anywhere and you can still use it in portrait mode for note taking
    - a full SD card slot, a full HDMI slot, and a full USB 2 port
    - a changeable battery pack
    - a good 6.5 hours of use on a charge

What it has against it:

- the N-trig digitizer pens are junk, plain and simple. They require constant contact cleaning to keep working correctly. When the contacts are clean they function well but they poop out at least once a week and need cleaning. I can field strip my pen now in a matter of seconds and get it working again while I am in meetings. It is aggravating but there is a lot of life left in my Q550 to toss it away because of the pen
    - to get acceptable performance, Aero needs to be turned off (Fujitsu provides a utility to optimize performance and touch)

Some other considerations in your options:
    - The Q702 has a larger (11.6") 16:9 screen. Good for movies in landscape but what else? In landscape I find the height too narrow for Office work due to the ribbon. In portrait the devices are too tall and too skinney to work well. All future 16:9 devices are off my list for good (I have had 2 now and do not care for a 3rd); it is disappointing that MS picked that format for the standard with Win 8. The only new 16:10 device coming out is the HP Elitepad 900 and that is on my potential list but I need to read how the Atmel digitizer works.
    - The Q702 is also N-trig but v4 hardware. The jury is out on operation.

So, is saving $700 worth it? Depends on what you want to do with it. The Q702 is not an option for me at all so I would pocket the cash in a flash. However, there is one other option to consider...a sort of in-between option that blends the best of both. You can have the small and portable 16:10 device of the Q550 AND the increased speed of the Q702 with a Q552. The Q552 will not be $300 but it may be available for $500. I saw some new ones going for $729 so used should be getting reasonable as well.

When available I will also be trying a Q702 pen with the Q550 to see if it works better. I am always on the lookout to solve the pen issue if possible. Also keep in mind that all of this is coming to you from a person who has 2 Q550's; one for me and one for my oldest son. His is going strong every day as a Lawyer in Training as well and he also carries his everywhere.

I hope this helps and doesn't just add to the confusion!

3. sudermatt

Thanks for the detailed reply...that's exactly what I was looking for. I just have to believe that $300 is worth it for an everyday, alway keep with you, light notetaking, surfing around, communications device.....

4. Ian426

Ian426 Pen Pal - Newbie

I'll throw my two cents in -- my girlfriend caught the tablet 'bug' from me and decided to jump for a good deal we found on the q550, and it has been absolutely great. If you go in expecting it to be all-around speedy, you will be out of luck, but if you are really just hoping for a light, extremely-portable device that is more than serviceable for note taking and web browsing, there really isn't a better value at the moment IMO (unless you shoot for, say, a legacy device like the ls800, which is by and large my favorite tablet that I have ever used).

If you have been reading any early reviews of the q550 which commented on there being a huge amount of lag when doing something as simple as scrolling on a web page, take them with a grain of salt -- drivers have been updated within the last year and a half, and it really is a much more enjoyable experience than early video reviews would lead you to believe.

One recommendation -- if you aren't satisfied with the inking experience on it, consider buying one of HTC's Styluses for the Flyer. A forum member here recommended them as being superior to the one which Fujitsu ships with the device, and I definitely second their suggestion -- inking seems a lot more 'fluid' with it.

5. sudermatt

Thanks again,

Yeah, like you, I have another device, a t732, i5, 8gb ram, 128 ssd....it's a screamer and does my heavy lifting....but sometimes you just want to run to a meeting and take some quick notes. The real question is...are you willing to pay more than double for more speed and a cool docking keyboard (samsung Series 5). I don't think I am.

6. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

So, did you snag one of the two $265 64GB Q550's on eBay yesterday?

7. sudermatt

Missed it! shoot! I guess I just have to look every day

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.