$300 14" 1080p Windows convertible with Wacom AES? Asus TP401MA-US22T at Microsoft Store

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Shogmaster, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Found this thing by chance. It was displayed along with the Windows ARM 2 in 1 section at the Westfield Century City MS Store. It's got Win10S, Pentium N5000 quad core (which benched pretty decently. Should be on par with the 4415Y in the Surface Go.), 4GB of RAM and 64GB storage (probably eMMC). But seeing how this thing uses 14" chassis, the storage and maybe even the RAM might be upgradeable? Maybe. The screen is 1080p res and the viewing angle seems good. Not sure if it's IPS or VA panel. I didn't have time to poke around. Only for a quick video.

The surprising thing was that it was compatible with Lenovo Active Pen 2 from the Lenovo's Windows on ARM 2 in 1 device! So that would make this the cheapest 14" Penabled device?!? Unfortunately, the Wacom's own AES pens (Bamboo Ink and Smart) does not work with it. And I'm not sure if a pen comes with it at that price. I might have to "borrow" this one from MS store later...

Starlight5 and thatcomicsguy like this.
  2. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member

I for one would be interested as I'm sure you had a "road to Damascus" event not too long ago on another thread where you said Wacom AES was nowhere near on par to Wacom EMR?

3. Shogmaster

I just swapped out my top of the line Miix 700 for low end Helix 2nd gen for that very reason (my sister is getting my 2.7GHz 6Y54 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Miix 700 and she gave me back the Helix 2nd gen with 2GHz 5Y10 4/128GB). But it was worth it cuz Helix 2 draws sooooooo much better, even with a processor that scores only 70% of the Miix 700's. EMR definitely makes a difference over AES. Especially when the AES is not using official Wacom panel.

Having said that, I know that I'm on the "super sensitive" side of the scale when it comes to pens and most ppl will be more than happy with AES. And at least AES is better than MPP at in these cheap base devices that don't include any kind of acceleration chips or ASIC for the pen computation.

Anyways, I don't personally have a need for a cheap 14" AES convertible, but I always like having a cheap and good penabled option to recommend to friends or students of mine. If this Asus ends up decent for $300 for drawing, that's one hell of a deal.

4. doobiedoobiedum

That's where I'm coming from too. A few months ago I was got the chance to trial a Dell canvas for student use. Knowing how little care students give to equipment I didn't approve the purchase but I did spend quite a bit of time playing with it and bought one for myself. We also got a Wacom 16 Cintiq pro which I didn't get any chance to test but at the same price as the Canvas I just couldn't approve the purchase.

Some cheap tablets like this however - could be a gateway and the students who get serious about digital art would probably go on to buy something more expensive for themselves.

as you say, $300 is one hell of a deal for a good size drawing tablet.

Shogmaster likes this.
  5. Shogmaster

I made another visit to MS store with intentions of "borrowing" it and I found out some more info and a HUGE correction:

1. It's not AES! It's MPP. Now how the hell did I made that mistake? Because of an assumption that was in my mind a solid one: That Lenovo only uses Wacom AES these days. Apparently not so. I used the pen from the Miix 630, the Windows on ARM device from Lenovo. I should have known since the buttons were those familiar tiny circles of the cheaper MPP pens. BTW, all the Windows on ARM devices were using MPP pens, which means that the SD835 is too expensive for that price point. Makes sense since SD 835 has more transistors and is probably bigger physically than dual core 7th gen i7.

2. The price is a sales price and is not permanent. It's normally $399, not $299. It's currently on the back to school sales that MS stores is running. The price is good until September 16th.

3. The screen hinge on the demo unit was pretty loose. Way looser than any of the Yoga hinges I have seen thus far. I worry that it will be too loose to prop up the screen in a year or two.

4. The pen does not come in the box. There is no mention of pen anywhere on the box in fact, nor on the MS store display. It was pure chance that I decided to take the Miix 630 pen and try on it.

6. doobiedoobiedum

Doesn't sound like anything I could recommend to an art student then?

7. Starlight5

Starlight5 So what if I'm crazy? The best people are.

FWIW I had to tighten the hinge after 1 year of using (the hell of) my Thinkpad Yoga. The screw holding hinge cover to the hinge gets loose on one of the hinges however, had to tighten it recently (6 months after hinge tightening & reassembly).

8. Shogmaster

I can't write it off 100% without trying it but it certainly lost some points on that front...

For $299, you can't beat the value, even if you have to buy the pen for it for $50 or so. And for beginners, MPP won't be that bad at all. But for say college level, I couldn't recommend it. For grade school or high school students, it should be OK.