2nd source memory and hard drives for FujitsuT4010

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Brian, Jan 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ydssc

ydssc Pen Pal - Newbie

Long story short- I promised my daughter, a student at Univ. Colorado where everything is WI-Fi enabled a laptop for Christmas. In researching which laptop to buy for her, I got excited about tablets. So excited that I bought a base model Fujitsu T4010 for her and one for my use. My maybe not so bright idea is this-- I want to take the 256M memory card from mine and put it in her machine giving her 512M, then buy two 512M "compatible" memory units for my machine giving me 1G. Is there a reason why this won't work? Do you have any suggestions about adding 2nd source memory to Fujitsu machines?
    While I am at it, what about switching out the 40G hard drive for a second source larger, maybe faster, drive? Thanks, Mike

2. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

RAM is easy to work with, that unit has two slots so you can go up to 2GB in total RAM. I'm fairly certain that the memory is standard 200 pin PC 2700, so you shouldn't have any problem finding more at somewhere like www.newegg.com. Just double check the memory type first.

The hard drive is a little more tricky, but certainly doable. You probably don't really need to upgrade it though unless your daughter needs a lot of storage for MP3's or whatnot. If you want to go through with it, the easiest way to do so is to buy an enclosure for the new drive, which can also be found at New Egg and a program like Norton Ghost to make a mirror image of the current drive. Then you should be able to switch them out with little trouble.

Brian Beeler
    Editor in Chief
    www.bargainPDA.com www.SPOTstop.com

3. arclite

arclite Pen Pal - Newbie

I've been researching forever to buy that tablet PC.

I couldn't find anyone who owns one as it is fairly a new product. I was wondering if u could share some inital impression about the product.

ie. is the fan loud? runs hot? Anything would be appriciated. [:)]

4. Brian

Fujitsu is known for top quality, that's what you get with this and any other model. I haven't used it extensively at all, but in my short testing I didn't notice fan noise, in fact I haven't noticed it on any of their notebooks either, including their desktop replacement with a powerful P4. We're meeting with Fujitsu tomorrow actually, we'll see about getting an update on their tablet plans for you!

Brian Beeler
    Editor in Chief

5. arclite

arclite Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you Brian :).

That would be really great.

6. ydssc

ydssc Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks, Brian-- your post gave me the nerve to try adding memory to my daughter's and my T4010. I contacted Crucial and ordered two 512M modules. The installations were easy and after less than $200 my daughter had 512M and I had 1G. The machines continue to run flawlessly and are absolutely a pleasure to use. While there is very little bundled software, the XP for Tablets operating system is incredible. The bundled Microsoft "OneNote" and "Reader" software open whole new areas of use which I had not even considered before using a tablet.
    Thanks, again.

7. Brian

Hah, I knew it would work out for you! We also talked to Fujitsu and saw their tablet line again. They're committed to tablet and will continue to make great quality products to serve their corporate, education and small biz customers.

Brian Beeler
    Editor in Chief

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.