2D animation software?

Discussion in 'Software' started by grizzly, Nov 17, 2008.

1. grizzly

grizzly Pen Pal - Newbie

Anyone have suggestions for a good 2D animation program? Advantages/disadvantages with Toon Boon, Pencil, Plastic animation paper, or can you recommend any other program? I'm using a Fujitsu 5010.
    Thanks

2. poncedeleon71

poncedeleon71 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello Grizzly,
    i do have some suggestions for ya, since it seems like not many people want to bother to reply, sheesh! i am a rabid animation and technology fan, just like you. i got into the tablet pc craze for the sole reason that i could draw on the actual tablet just as if it was a canvas. i got into animation kind of by accident, and i saw that it was way cooler than just creating normal artwork. what drew me to animation was the fact that your actual drawings could come to life and perform amusing acts just by flicking a few pages.

i really got into it and soon i started looking for was to import my animations to the video format. i found out that back then it was not going to be easy, or cheap. before tablet pcs the only other way to do it was to have access to a vertical camera and some reel. but you and i know the only way to have access to that equipment is remote, if at all.

fast forward to now and the probability to make your own animated cartoons is far greater a possibility with the slight limiting factor of being employed and earning a decent living. what was once a hobby for the rich is now a hobby for the regular joe. back when i was researching how much it would cost to buy a vertical camera for cartoons, and finding out that the price of admission was about $60,000, i gave up on that notion and had no choice but to conform with flipbooks.

last year i was deployed overseas and i had plenty of time to conduct searches online about the subject. i soon ended up gazing at cool tablet pcs from many manufacturers. i knew nothing about what makes a tpc work, or the technology employed, i only knew i needed to find out how accurate it could replicate the actual strokes of somebody using it for artwork. i swear, i asked every computer geek i knew to tell me how it is to use a tpc and how accurate they are. not one person knew anything about them, and just one person said that he " saw on once", wow, very useful info!

anyway, i continued my searches and i eventually discovered on my own enough to make a good purchase decision, i bought a Thinkpad X61T. i imediatley put it to the test and it was in fact as accurate as i needed it to be. now it was time to get some cool animation software. i will tell you this, it took me about a year to find out enough info about what software to get that would allow me to express the natural way i draw without intervention of the application. here is the list of the software i recommend for 2d animation:

toon boom studio 4, flip boom & flip boom classic, tv paint, bauhaus mirage, toonz bravo, plastic animation paper, pencil, digicel flipbook, flash mx, flash pro, toon boom animation-ish, the tab and now toon boom animate.

i personally have all of these except for animate( i will get it soon, though). i trust toon boom with the cool software they make, even flip boom is a cool little app to make quick and easy toons. however, the apps that will yield the better results are the expensive ones on the list. you already know of the free apps to take for a test drive to see how far you can take them creatively. but for professional results i would recommend toon boom studio to be a great solution for decent animated projects. i hope i was of some help, post your animations for us to see what ch got, ok? :)

3. UbaidTPC

UbaidTPC Pen Pal - Newbie

4. kaylynGabriele

kaylynGabriele Pen Pal - Newbie

My Rating of animation softwares.
    1. Toon Boom Studio - one of the best animation studio for instant motion, talking and natural movement.
    2. Anime Studio Debut 9 - One of the complete animation software to make anime, cartoons and animation movies.
    3. DrawPlus X6 - easy to use and affordable.

thatcomicsguy likes this.