2740p Windows 7 Handwriting Recognition Woes

Discussion in 'HP Elitebooks' started by Spike15, Jun 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spike15

Spike15 Pen Pal - Newbie

So I got my HP EliteBook 2740p ~5 days ago, and I must say that I love it.

Great hardware, Windows 7 is a fantastic OS, etc..

I blew my own copy of Windows 7 on it straight away, and then had a ~3 day adventure trying to track down what eventually turned out to be KB976755 (wake from sleep touchscreen fix).

My second problem with the tablet is the handwriting recognition.

I absolutely love the handwriting recognition to death. I didn't think it'd be that great when I ordered the tablet, but now it's just invaluable. I love having it in tablet mode reading an eBook and being able to just seamlessly go into MSN and handwrite a message with the Windows 7 Touch Input Panel's handwriting recognition.

The caveat though, is that in handwriting recognition (and only in TIP's handwriting recognition -- never experienced this drawing or writing in anything else; BluBeam, OneNote, Paint, etc.), and with annoying frequency (happens once or more every 10 minutes), the stylus pointer just locks up, and I can't use the stylus for 5-10 seconds, after which it'll work normally for ~5 seconds, and then lock up again. This continues for an indeterminate amount of time, after which it "clears up", but obviously this kind of dysfunction for any length of time is ridiculous and unreasonable.

In trying to fix the issue with the touchscreen not working after sleep, I went through 64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate, then 32-bit (thought maybe it was the 64-bit drivers), and then back to 64-bit (when I realized it wasn't the drivers), and the problem has been present across all of them.

My kneejerk instinct was that the digitizer was defective, but the fact that I've taken notes in OneNote, played around with BluBeam, drawn in Paint, and even sent MSN hardwritten messages (not using handwriting recognition, MSN has support for drawing on the screen and sending that drawing as a message), as well as controlling basic Windows functions with the stylus, and never experienced this problem outside of TIP handwriting recognition.

Any solutions/thoughts? I've searched, but haven't seen anything...

2. pirate.bill

pirate.bill Pen Pal - Newbie

Spike,

I just received my 2740p on Friday and have also experienced the same thing. Last night in fact, I was writing with the pen to input a small line of text into Chrome and had the pen input hang-up and lag several times. I am not sure what the problem is but my guess is that it has something to do with some kind log-jam of Windows processes running. I wondered if those users who installed an SSD drive are experiencing the same thing.

I purchased this notebook to take notes during medical school and I will be really frustrated if it hangs-up in class.

3. ScubaX

ScubaX Level 90 Mage Senior Member

I seriously doubt a SSD would make any difference. Maybe more ram, but not HD. Sounds to me like a driver issue between touch and pen. Can you disable touch and see if the problem continues?

I personally would not use the TIP for taking notes in class. Use either Onenote, Journal or Bluebeam or similar. I also never use text conversion as it is too slow with the TIP, and not accurate enough in general. Except of course for entering info on a web page, URL etc., title on a ON page and similar tasks.

Since ON searches your handwritten notes just fine, to me it becomes a memory aid seeing my own handwriting.

4. Spike15

Spike15 Pen Pal - Newbie

My 2740p has 4 gigs of RAM, the M540 i5 (2.53ghz), and the 5400RPM 250 gig HD.

The system is literally idly when this happens, just running Outlook, IE8, and MSN.

If this is a system hardware issue...

As for disabling touch, I could try that, but I don't see how that would do anything seeing how as this doesn't happen in any other application...

As for taking notes with OneNote etc. rather than TIP, I do that, my use for handwriting recognition is sending MSN messages while in tablet mode, and inputting URLs and searches.

Does this issue present itself with any other hardware configurations? I.e. the TM2 etc.?

5. RonaldReagan

RonaldReagan Pen Pal - Newbie

Try updating the wacom driver to the one on the hp site.... I read this in another thread, someone was having a similar problem and fixed it by replacing the the wacom driver.... no personal experience with this but hope to install win 7 soon .

6. Spike15

Spike15 Pen Pal - Newbie

I am -- and have always been -- using the most recent Wacom digitizer drivers from the HP website.

7. MikeFM

MikeFM Pen Pal - Newbie

<<the stylus pointer just locks up, and I can't use the stylus for 5-10 seconds, after which it'll work normally for ~5 seconds, and then lock up again. This continues for an indeterminate amount of time, after which it "clears up", but obviously this kind of dysfunction for any length of time is ridiculous and unreasonable.>>

I had the same problem and it was driving me crazy. Here's the solution: Apparently the pointer stick on the keyboard protrudes just enough to come in contact with the back of the display when the pc is being used as a tablet. When this happens, the tablet "switches" to the pointer stick as being its primary input device (hence interrupting your handwriting). After a moment of inactivity it returns control to the stylus. I disabled my pointer stick and Voila! - problem solved. Deactivating the stick wasn't much of an issue for me since I use the Stylus or the Touch Pad anyways.

8. Spike15

Spike15 Pen Pal - Newbie

How do you disable the stick?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.