2740p Ultra Slim Battery: battery wear?

Discussion in 'HP Elitebooks' started by Neverwinter, Sep 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neverwinter

Neverwinter Scribbler - Standard Member

Has anyone had problems with battery wear on their ultra slim battery? What was causing it?

I was thinking of buying one, but I am wondering if playing games, like Civilization 5, especially when the room temperature is pretty high, will cause significant wear on the ultra slim battery.

What are your results?

2. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

AFAIK battery wear will happen slowly over time as batteries sit, but any excess heat will end up killing the battery faster... the Slim batteries are usually great, for the most part, but because it doesn't leave much of an air gap between the bottom and the battery things can heat up to a higher temp (still safe temps, just not very comfortable or good for the battery when the computer is under heavy use)

But TBH a battery should be seen as a 'consumable' part of a computer, meaning that most likely it will be mostly used up within 2-4 years time (4-5 if you are lucky), so buy it, use it, and don't worry about it

When you run Civ 5 what temps internally does it reach? (use CPUID's HWMonitor 1.16 from here CPUID - System & hardware benchmark, monitoring, reporting), on my 2730p the highest temps I've ever seen are barely into the low 70's C which is well below the 85-90C 'danger zone' for internal temps

3. Neverwinter

Yeah, I was visiting my parents, and over in their area, it is hotter than most surrounding areas. But I ran Civ5 in that heat, and it got so hot it shut off my laptop. But if I run in under cooler conditions, it runs fine... still very hot, but okay. Thanks. Let me check it out...

BTW, do you run Civ5 on your 2730p?

4. MikeNg714

MikeNg714 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey Guys!

Sorry for hijacking this tread! But my question pertains to the slim battery. I've finally decided to purchase it through amazon.

Amazon.com: HP 2700 Ultra-slim Battery: Electronics

The amazon title says it is 2700 without a specification it being capable with the 2740p.

I understand that the Ultra Slim battery works on all the 2700+ models but my main concern is with the expansion dock.

I have an expansion dock specifically for the 2740p and am wondering if this slim battery will dock with it. This would be horrible if it didn't because one reason why the slim battery appealed to me other then giving me more juice is the mere fact that I can have a 2 tier docking system which I wouldn't have undock each piece by piece. I would rather keep the slim battery on at all time and dock and undock with one motion. Let me know Thanks!

Mike

5. Neverwinter

Is there a difference between the slim batteries for 2710p, 2730p, 2740p and 2760p?

6. MikeNg714

MikeNg714 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey Neverwinter,

Through all my research. There is no difference. I just read on a few forum that the difference is with the connectors on the 2010p and 2040p that make it incompatible to the docking station. That's why I'm hoping for some verification on this.

Mike

7. rjh

rjh Pen Pal - Newbie

AFAIK, for the battery to be compatible across all the 27xx models, the connector is most likely to be a straight pass-through connector (except for the power related functions), so it won't matter what the individual connections are used between any system and its dock.

I have a 2730p, and a couple of batteries. The connector definitely appears to be a straight pass-thru system - there physically isn't any room for it to be any more complex than that.

I'd be very confident that it will work with no issues across all models.

The slim batteries are the best purchase I've made for the 2730p (~$50.00 each), at the cost of some bulk and weight, it gets the battery life up to something usable. I never remove the battery from the system, so reduce wear on the system docking connector and the main battery as well (I undock to use the system, dock to recharge, several times a day).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.