2740P touch dead zones

Discussion in 'HP Elitebooks' started by mazzarin, Aug 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mazzarin

mazzarin Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey all,

Absolutely loving my 2740p since I got it, but two small issues continue to bug me:

One is the latch, which isn't such a big deal. Maybe I'll get it fixed.

The other is the deadzones for touch. It works surprisingly great most of the time, but I encounter the following deadzones (in red) which make the touch... annoying while in normal laptop mode.

[​IMG]

Can anyone else confirm/deny? Everything else in normal laptop mode works fine, and slate mode works great because those deadzones don't matter. It's only when I go to press X (never can), or press start (sometimes, has to be deliberate often times) that I run into this issue.

2. runningcode

runningcode Pen Pal - Newbie

yeah i can confirm this, when calibrating i cant even touch those points i always have to touch closer in and that make the calibration awful

3. mazzarin

mazzarin Pen Pal - Newbie

Actually... I have to take my post back. I booted up the computer this morning and as I was showing it to a colleague... those deadzones worked fine and continue to work fine. Weird!

4. Gunre

Gunre Pen Pal - Newbie

I have an identical issue with my new 2740p. Immediately upon starting to use the laptop I noticed that there were dead zones in the same spots as mazzarin's. I found it to be very annoying because I would like to use the touchscreen in both orientations, and these dead zones make that hard when in notebook mode.

Also, on my device these are not just dead zones. If you touch in the boundary region of a dead zone the touch will register at predictable places on the touch screen up to 2 inches away from where the touch actually occured, and always directly horizontal or vertical from where the touch occurred. The effect is very noticeable when you drag your finger along the boundary region as you can see where the touch cursor jumps to and moves.

Initially I troubleshot it myself, found and installed the latest firmware and drivers for the devices, tried calibration over and over again, but to no avail.

I called HP support, described the problem, and they said it sounded like a hardware problem. So I sent my 2 day old 2740p in for repair. It came back with a replaced LCD, but the exact same issue was present.

Initially I thought that perhaps they had not replaced the LCD after all, or had replaced components of the LCD but not the touchscreen layer. Also, my HP case had the wrong problem listed in the notes, so I thought that perhaps was why it had come back not repaired. So I called HP support again and went over what had happened. They issued me a new support ticket, then sent another box to get the laptop in for repair again. I sent the laptop back in yesterday.

Today, I had voicemail waiting when I came in, and it turned out to be from an HP repair tech. He told me that the issue with my 2740 was fixed by calibrating the screen. I am rather incredulous, but I'll be glad if its fixed.

If not...
    Mazzarin - any idea what may have caused it to suddenly start registering touches properly?

5. Gunre

Gunre Pen Pal - Newbie

I got my notebook back from HP a second time and it has the exact same issue, despite what the repair center said.

I made a short video demonstrating the problem.

YouTube - HP 2740p Touch Screen Dead Zone

Hopefully by explicitly showing the problem to them I can get more help.

6. digital-doc

digital-doc MedicalTabletPC

I wonder if calibarating with Touch vs Pen is part of this issue?
    I have the same problem on occasion.

7. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I have searched and searched for a post I found somewhere about a month ago that described a methodical process for fixing this problem when I had it on my previous 2740 - fortunately my just-delivered replacement seems to have no problems with dead zones or miscalibrations. I'll keep looking, but do search around TPCR and Google and you should eventually find directions to uninstall all the touch and WACOM digitizer software and, one by one, in a particular order, reinstall from the HP download site, each time restarting the computer and then adding the next touch/digitizer program, restarting, until all are back and it worked perfectly for me. No dead spots at all and no touching here and having the impact 2 inches away. I do find regular recalibration to be useful, at the first hint of even a very minor irregularity. Finally, some have reported better success using either the WACOM Bamboo drivers from the WACOM web site and the Fujitsu drivers. I never needed to do it, but in my searching I found numerous references to success curing this issue on HP, Lenovo and other non-Fujitsu models.

It is certainly unacceptable for this problem to persist in a $2,000 tablet. Even the TM2 has rare reports of this nature these days. In the end, it is a driver issue, so one day it should become fully cured. But I would keep asking to elevate it to higher management in Tech Support (and call Monday-Friday, 9AM-5PM US EST because that's when calls are routed to the tech support call center in India. Outside those times calls are often routed to the call centers in China, and my experience with them has been dreadful, while my experience with the Indian techs has been quite good.

Good luck. You will lick the problem, and it is highly doubtful that it is hardware related.

8. Incitatus

Incitatus Scribbler - Standard Member

I was almost very upset as my Brand New 2740p (and the 5th elitebook I've been sent) had the dead zones.

I almost had an anuerism, but then I did a fresh install and tried first the fujitsu drivers (didn't work at all) then the most current drivers from the HP support page.

Dead zones are GONE now. :)

9. shyam111

shyam111 Pen Pal - Newbie

I think I have found the reason for this problem. I think its to do with power cycling. I too had dead spots on my screen on the corners which was quite annoying. I had to install some new ram in my machine so I took out the battery and held the power switch in the "on" position for 10 seconds. Ram installed just fine but when I went to boot up the capacitive touch screen stopped working. I tried to do a windows restore but that didn't work. tried to take out the ram again, and it didn't either. So it wasn't to do with the ram.

Then I turned the machine off, and power cycled it i.e. battery out and drained the charge. Plugged it into mains power (minus the batt) and turned it on. The touch screen worked and the dead spots were gone.

So basically, try and power cycle the unit and it might make the touch screen function normally. But beware, it can stop the touch screen from working at all. I tried to reproduce this result and it took a 3 power cycles to get it to work - at one point I thought I had ruined it for good, so i guess its not for the feint of heart.

Hope this helps!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.