2740p SSD Adapter

Discussion in 'HP Elitebooks' started by molecularman, Jan 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. molecularman

molecularman Pen Pal - Newbie

I think I created an account before with this site, but apparently it could not be found so I just created another account now.

I have a few questions.

My first question is would I be able to use an msata SSD in the 2740p or would I need an adapter to convert the msata drive to usata?
    Would either of the adapters in the following links work and would these be good prices? mSATA to Micro SATA Adapter Addonics Product: 1.8" mSATA - micro SATA adapter
    This is the msata drive I'm looking to get. CT128M4SSD3 - 128GB, mSATA Solid State Drive , from Crucial.com

My second question is does HP load their laptops with a lot of bloatware? I ask this because my 2740p seems a little slower than it should be and it really heats up under a heavy load.

My last question is has anyone had trouble registering their fingerprint with the HP security software?

Thanks for the help.

2. rjh

rjh Pen Pal - Newbie

I can't see there would be any issues with your proposal, I wish that there had been more options like this when I installed my SSD a couple of years ago. Still, I'm happy I did it. Its bizarre that usata is physically larger than msata.

I wiped the original installation and downloaded new installation disks from a Microsoft distribution partner, you get a legal, clean install that you activate with your own product key. There are instructions on how to do this over at notebookreview.com. You can then download any necessary drivers from HP, but Windows 7 supports almost all the main hardware OOB.

I really don't like the security software, and find the fingerprint reading unreliable; it is just another layer of stuff that can go wrong, so only install it if you really need it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.