2740p shuts off during high demand application

Discussion in 'HP Elitebooks' started by Gromit, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Gromit

Gromit Pen Pal - Newbie

So i have to use movie maker on my 2740p because it supports 1080p encoding whereas my desktop is xp and doesn't. Now that that is out of the way what i am finding is when the 2740p is doing video processing and the fan seems to be at maximum (high cpu usage) the computer will suddenly shut off completely, as if i held the power switch to the right to reset it. Upon restart there is no windows 7 (64bit) message about windows encountering an error so i figure its hardware, perhaps memory, heat etc. Anyone have similar experiences and knows of a fix or diagnosis? Thanks.

2. Lehto

Lehto Scribbler - Standard Member

Heat problem most definately. Either your unit has a faulty cooler installation or its placed in a place where the cooling fan is blocked off in the bottom. I'd suggest sending it to warranty.

3. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It sounds like the thermal limit was reached, making it force shutdown... take off any of the accessories (slim battery, slim dock), and either use a laptop cooler or prop it up and put a fan on it. Also change the "Power Plan" to either "Power Saver" or "Balanced".

If doing all that doesn't help, then ask for a replacement unit from HP (don't bother with a repair if you don't have to)

either way post back here about what happens!

4. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

A note of concurrence. The 2740 generally runs very cool, even under high-stress use, though there is a significant degree of units with defects in either thermostats, fans or thermal paste. If you are within your first 30, even 60 days, I say DEMAND a new unit, though don't be too upset if they refuse; this is fixable.

5. Gromit

Gromit Pen Pal - Newbie

I have to say ive had more issues with this tablet pc than with all 2 previous 2710 and 4400 combined. Lots of cold reboots where it appears that it failed to properly enter hybernation, lots of failure of touch input upon resume, and other what i consider to be basic issues, not application dependent. I suppose i may have some defective hardware (ram???) i will run windows memory diagnostic, how do i do it without a cdrom drive or floppy drive?

6. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

You can run memory diagnostics at least two ways:

1) invoke command line from Accessories and type:
    chkdsk /R (this is a HD test, but it could be your problem

2) tap the key they direct at boot up (I think it's f8, but it may be esc) and go into the BIOS, where you will find you can do memory tests. I think you can also do memory diagnostics by not going into the BIOS, but invoking SAFE Mode, which then gives you various testing options

3) I've had a number of 2740s with a number of small but annoying problems, but never the kind you are reporting. In fact, in terms of day to day reliability, I have never had a better laptop. I have the Intel SSD, if that may be making a difference. Had more problems when I had models with the Hdds.

Definitely get an RMA and get them to replace it; if you ask nicely but firmly, you should be able to get one.

7. doebeli

doebeli Pen Pal - Newbie

I had several thermal shutdowns in the last few days while doing OCR or converting video files. I didn't have these problems in the past (my unit is about 6 month old). What could be the cause?
    Why isn't there at least a software solution which slows down the cpu when it's getting too hot? Just powering down without warning isn't well behaving...