2740p Order Delay -- Official

Discussion in 'HP Elitebooks' started by Techfinance, Jul 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mazzarin

mazzarin Pen Pal - Newbie

Arguably the ones that are working fine out of the box should get more attention to push the bleeding edge with mods and tweaks :)

For the lose, haha.

Something like thatish, maybe 30% less. But still 4 hours was plenty for me at the time. I used Vista full time actually, I think I just kept the OSX partition around for firmware updates!

2. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Thanks mazz. Now would you tell me what "for the loose" means? :eek:

3. islou

islou Pen Pal - Newbie

you must have seen / heard FTW, for the win ? Well for the loose is the opposite. Ie the sony lost or is a looser.

Its all gamer talk ;)

Urban Dictionary: for the lose

Eagerly awaiting my 2740p which may be waiting for me at home right now !! (UK) Lovelaptops I've been following your posts closely for a while, some real usefull info. Cheers to everyone.

4. lovelaptops

Can't thank you enough for both the definition and, even better the dictionary! Now maybe no one will know I'm 54 and never played a video game - since Frogger, LOL! ;) Also glad my endless blog posts here are amusing, if not helping others.

As for the SONY Z, I decided to get one to try as I've spen to GD much $ There I get to return things within 45 days with NO restocking fee! I won't say too much more here or the Mods will strike me down, but after one day, SONY is definitely looking FTL ! :D ;) May be powerful (like my 2740), and have a much better screen, but the way they get everything to fit in that tiny fly-away case is to make it feel really cheap!! (which, of course, it is anything but!)

Will report more in a new thread I am going to start: "What I would buy if I decided a tablet was an expensive "toy" but I wanted an ultra-portable with i5/i7 power?" Gotta shorten the name, of course, and make it "catchier." As of now, 1 day into the side-by side, my answer is: I'd buy a 2740p:D :D :D Now that I have had a working tablet for a few weeks again, I've realized all over what makes them impossible to give up - for, what, a bettertiny screen to watch movies on trains and in hotel rooms? A really cool GPU I never need? A backlit (Versus nifty LED) keyboard light? Have I missed anything important? Oh yeah, 1/2 lb, which is saved by making the SONY feel like it's made entirely of thin, cheap plastic-even though it's made of really expensive magnesium and carbon fiber! (FYI: if anyone ever asks you "What's the difference between carbon fiber and cheap plastic?" The answer (s) are: 1) about $300 a pound and/or: "plastic doesn't have to be painted, so its Color doesn't rub off when you rest your palms on it!" ;) :D :D

Watch for my creative new thread, which will legitimize talking about non-tablet computers made by everyone except HP in a forum some people (DR Tigerlilly?) worked their butts off to create threads directly related to the product/mfr/topic. Perhaps I'll put it in the "Tablet PC Life" section.

5. islou

islou Pen Pal - Newbie

Lovelaptops, your reply made me laugh!

So I'm still waiting for the 2740p. This is KILLING me. Should be here coming friday.

They said it was shipped because they emailed me the care pack! Idiots !

6. lovelaptops

islou, (guess: is your name Lou? ;) If so, that is very clever - or has everyone done it already? Still, nice ho), I am glad to amuse you and even more glad your computer may at long last be coming to you. If you see my post under the "outdoor screen" thread, you will find that, after all my testing and ruminating, I may be bagging the 2740 for the Lenovo x201t afterall. Please don't take this as panning the 2740, and everyone's needs and perceptions are different, but I did decide to re-up with the 2740 by upgrading it to a factory installed SSD, a corei7 cpu and the "outdoor" screen, believing (without seeing specs) that, like pretty much all vendors of "outdoor" displays ar brighter - eg, Lenovo's outdoor screen is 400 nits, which is crazy-bright compared to all LED backlit LCDs; their regular screen is 300 nit,which is also extremely bright compared to most. (eg, HP just released it's "radiance" screen with the HP Envy 14 - to rave reviews - and it is 325 nit bright. Brightness itself does not ensure great colors, but with brightness comes the ability to adjust them to be just right.)

It now has been pointed out to me that HP's regular multitouch and "outdoor" variant are the identical screen - only 200 nit, and the only thing you get for your additional $150 for "outdoor" is an extra film that supposedly reduces glare from the already glare-resistant matte finish standard screen, HPs would be considerably brighter, as brightness is adequate, but no more than that on the 2740. I learned via a post to the screen thread that the outdoor screen.

Going back to praise, the 2740 is just a very comfortable and well built machine. It is light and easy to carry around and it does tablet functions extremely well. When I do not need to type anything longer than a search box input, I now use it almost exclusively in slate mode, and it is just a wonderful way to use a computer "on the go." It not only has a great deal of "cool factor" (just stay away from app-wieldin Ipad owners!) and if you didn't get an SSD, think about adding one. Though the standard HDD would not have made you think twice two years ago, by today's even spinning drives at 2.5" and 7200 rpm, some apps seem a bit slow to bring up. Not glacially slow as with an old single core 4000 rpm drive, but with the cpu so fast, the HDD is definitely the bottleneck.

So do report in (move to the "first impressions" thread) as soon as you get it and tell-all! Before you do, would you kindly remind me the configuration you purchased?

Best,
    isjeff (Jeff!)

7. samaarons

samaarons Pen Pal - Newbie

Mine is coming in on Thursday. 5 weeks waiting..

8. islou

islou Pen Pal - Newbie

Apologies for the late reply Jeff, had an absolute killer week :(
    On the plus side this has meant the days have been flying by!

So called HP today after they said on Monday, yep CONFIRMED we will have it for the 19th and you'll have it on the 20th!

"Sorry sir I'm afraid your still waiting on an item"
    Ok, what item, do you have the laptop.
    "Yes the elite book is available".
    Right, so what item is stopping my order not shipping today then ?
    "Well the quick case is not in stock" (even though the webby said it was when i ordered !)
    So why was I given a shipping date of the 19th ?
    "Well that's why we say expected date" (By this point i was fuming but managed to keep my cool)
    Right, if you had used expected I would have understood but you clearly said it was a confirmed shipping date, remove the bloody bag and send me my laptop (since I paid for it a month ago !).
    Guy goes away and gets the bag removed and says he will call me back to confirm. Comes to 5pm and no calls so i called back.

Spoke to a very helpful and understanding lady who assured my it will be dispatched from warehouse today and will be arriving tomorrow :D YAY

My name is Louis, islou is me swapping the parts round !

Sorry to hear that your sending back the 2740p. Coming from a purely selfish point of view you were a good person to have in the community of owners ! :D I've got no need for a super bright screen as it will spend most of its life in lecture theatres / libraries etc. May go outdoors every now and then.

I also grabbed two slice batteries off ebay. £40 for the pair delivered. Could be shot but I thought with two one of them should be ok. They were described as looking unused.

samaarons, did you get your 2740p today ?

EDIT** Forgot Specs - I need sleeeeeeeep

Its the standard WS272AW:
    HP EliteBook 2740p Tablet PC (ENERGY STAR) (WS272AW), (WS272AW#ABU)

BUT tagged on this: HP 2-GB PC3-10600 (DDR3 1333 MHz) SODIMM (AT912ET), (AT912ET#AC3) so will end up with 4gb ram

The SSD models are far too hard to get hold of in the UK and are way more expensive. After pricing it up (by today's ssd standards) it was cheaper to buy the lower spec model and upgrade the ram and HDD myself! So I'm going to wait till SSD drives drop, which should be soon as they are being driven plenty by other small devices.

9. lovelaptops

Louis,

Boy, am I ever a sucker for flattery! :) Seriously, so kind of you to acknowledge my contribution in a way that truly touched me. And believe it or not, I got several similar comments on other 2740 threads (I just hate the way they insist on breaking this up into many little "specialized" threads when, on NBR, 90% of the good blogging and tip exchange is done on the one, general "[your model] Owners Lounge." I have argued it several times with the Mods on this forum, so far without success. At least I was able to convince them to dedicate a forum to the 2740 (they initially responded that this was just a "niche" product and didn't have much of a following, lol ;) :D .

So now for the good news - assuming you meant what you said ;) : I decided to stick with (go back to1) the 2740 - for good this time - though I cancelled the one I ordered with the outdoor screen since it is $150 for the equivalent of a plastic anti glare screen protector you can buy for $40 and it apparently can actually make the image quality worse in indoor light. I also made some careful decisions involving tradeoffs of cost, speed, battery life and heat. Ended up with the following:

1) Core i5-520 (after much study, the i7-620 does not have power my use will benefit by, but it does run noticeably hotter and takes a tad off of battery life, which can the 2740 can ill afford!) Why the 520 and not the 540? Same issue as the i7 - I won't notice the power difference - and $50 saved is, well, you know. (I even went so far as to delete the internal 56K modem - $25 savings - it's an opt-out feature, few notice the cost, even fewer the feature; was tempted to opt out of the "Intel vPro Technology, $19, as it appears to be very security oriented and otherwise a business IT tech feature, but decided it could be important to someone at resale time and, hey, what's $19?), and all the nickel/dime deletions were made in the name of:

2) 160 GB Intel G2 SSD with TRIM support. From all that I have read and heard from others far more tech savvy than myself, for some 90% of "regular" users, we'd be way better served with the lowest level Core i3 cpu and an SSD than a Core i7 Quad (which I have in my HP DV8 DTR) and even a 7200 rpm HDD. The SONY Z series miniature powerhouse I demoed had exclusively SSD storage and, frankly, I was a bit underwhelmed by the difference in "feel" (this is not a benchmarking thing, but a thing that makes you go "wow, that was amazing!) and neither the boot up time nor the app load time were quite in that league, but the benefits of the SSD (speed, battery life - some have reported on these pages savings of 2 hrs on each battery!) and cooling are so well documented and universally praised that I took it on faith that once I use it for a while I'll find that I too can never live without it :rolleyes: again!

3) Docking station (the flat one, with DVD and eSata and display port (+ adapter dongle = HDMI :D :D ) for only $149 ("smart buy" price for one and all - no further discoutning, but it's a 50% price cut from regular price 3 months ago and a truly great accessory at a steal of a price.

4) Of course, the slice battery. One thing I screwed up on, but I could not go back and change because I had already done so twice :eek: , was to opt out of the standard 39 mwh "long life" battery in favor of the (few bucks cheaper) 44 mwh battery. That extra 5 mwh is 12.5% more than the standard battery, and that should mean as much as 20 minutes more on the base battery. Now, it could be that this battery will start losing capacity quickly and hit the 39 mwh level and keep falling as it approaches it's allegedly earlier death than the "long life," but frankly, it's really hard to trust that data, and 20 minutes is a lot of extra battery life on this power-sucking computer. Worst of all, my neglect cost $54! - the largest "hidden" opt-out option (total of these is $87 - not chump change for me - it's 5% of the computer cost; how'd you like a 33% discount with that computer, sir, instead of 28%?! Oh well; look at the bright side and assume the long life really does last longer, have more capacity after 6 months and save landfills from dead batteries. It does have a 3 yr wtty - vs. 1 yr for the 44 mw version, but I think the fine print might make that very hard to collect-on. This is clearly obsessive thinking on my part. It's done, it's fine. :)

Now, here's the main reason I decided to firmly plant my flag in the HP camp: Since last report-ins, I have found an excellent tech group (Indian call center, best reached week days, 8-5 EST), and when you find a tech person you like, ask for his email address (and work schedule) and you will normally get an email or call within the hour of your email, provided they are on that day/time. Second, I found a superb sales rep:

Samuel Kramer
    Hewlett-Packard Small and Medium Business
    Inside Sales Representative
    Phone: 1-800-888-5858 X 7810836
    Fax: 1-505-796-5183
    Samuel.e.kramer@hp.com

This guy is the real deal as a responsive sales rep, who says "yes" "let me check" for the questions all the other HP SMB sales reps say "policy makes that impossible, nothing I can do." When I changed the order to delete the "outdoor' screen, downgrade the cpu, delete the modem and upgrade from 80 to 160 GB SSD, he actually tried to get the changes through without having to cancel and reorder, and wait an extra week. When he found he couldn't, he said he would put an "expedite" on the order (salesmen past said there was no such thing; I believe Samuel, he doesn't seem like a liar) and gave me free Fedex shipping. Use him, refer him (I get no referral fees!), and your experience of buying and dealing with delays will improve. You will also feel like they care about your business, even if you are only buying one computer.

I may have earlier mentioned the "heroics" the Order Processing Dept" did for me to get me my present 2740 before my July 9 surgery, at a time when HP was sending emails to all open order holders that they were short on compents and would not likely ship until August. Well, mine arrived on July 5, but get this:

1) I got an extra $260 discount, courtesey of Order Processing for the "wait" (thanks to them, I'd gotten the computer in 28 days!)

2) I sheepishly called O.P. when I ordered this replacement to see if they could re-apply the discount. Answer: "sure, but we can give you $300 off because it's a more expensive computer (I think their limit is 15%).

3) I told my personal "buddy" there after I had to re-order to save some $ and asked if it would be a problem discounting if my RMA came a week or two before the new purchase arrived. Answer: "no problem, and besides, we can authorize you to keep your current one until your replacement arrives!" (some 45+ days after receipt of the first one.

So, I'm in with both feet and, wouldn't you know: I'm loving the one I have more and more now!

Thanks again for the really nice compliments; they warm my heart, and they made me want to stick around this great forum - not to get more compliments, just because yo are all temendously nice, and helpful.

Best, Jeff

Here's another thing that put me over the top: I finally found an excellent tech support person, who gave me his email address and really responds and I found an awesome sales rep (Samuel Kramer

10. islou

islou Pen Pal - Newbie

Jeff, thats honestly fantastic news! Although its now looking like I might not be around soon!

It seems my HP horrors have begun. Just got the tablet but it has no multi touch screen fitted !

Its the WS272AW#ABU model. Says in the specs on the page i got it:
    "Use the pen or the pen and finger touch (with multi-touch gesture support) to easily navigate applications, turn pages and complete tasks."

Staff & Student Store item details - HP EliteBook 2740p Tablet PC (ENERGY STAR) (WS272AW)

RAGING like no other at the moment.

Tablet is lovely, super fast, well built. But "(insert f word) me" are HP useless!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.