2740p Order Delay -- Official

Discussion in 'HP Elitebooks' started by Techfinance, Jul 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Techfinance

Techfinance Pen Pal - Newbie

I hope you are right. I have checked with HP three times on this same issue and received answers of yes and no. Before placing my order I had the HP sales rep check with his supervisor and he assured me outdoor does not have multi touch. I believe this because neither does Lenovo. I would highly doubt Lenovo would not have that feature if HP did. I am checking with my sales rep one last time to verify.

2. samaarons

samaarons Pen Pal - Newbie

I hope for everybody's sake (mine, HP's) my 2740p unit is touch as the 2 invoices they sent me via email shows, their specs and their sales rep.

3. Jonndz

Jonndz Pen Pal - Newbie

samaarons,

Just talked to HP and they said that there seems to be some mix up on the outdoor screen. When you go to the configuration page for CTO orders it appears that by selecting the outdoor screen means you are without multitouch. However the HP rep I spoke to (2 of them) after investigating the matter confirmed that the outdoor screen does come with MultiTouch:D .

4. Nichod

Nichod Scribbler - Standard Member

Arg. That is not helping me decide between the tm2 and 2740p. Now it has a nice outdoor screen that DOES have multitouch. I really want to see a demo of CS5 and a 3D app using the 2740p.

5. Techfinance

I am SO upset. I specifically did not get the outdoor screen because they told me it did not support multi-touch!!!!!!! I ordered the Smart Buy unit because of this and now I cannot get a hold of my sales person! I am irate that a company as large as HP cannot even train their sales people correctly. I cannot afford to constantly be on the phone with HP telling them what they should already know. This is just ridiculous!!!!

6. Techfinance

I just checked in on my order and was informed shipping will be delay 2 weeks beyond the estimate. They upgraded me to overnight shipping and took an additional $50 off the price of the unit.

I check Lenovo and they have drastically reduced the base price of the 201t, but it still comes in well above the HP even after a 10% discount. I will await the 2740p and see if it lives up to my expectations.

I was also informed I could have the outdoor touch screen, but I would have to cancel my order and reorder, which I didn't want to do for time reasons.

7. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

aaarrrrggghh! After 2 TM2s in April/May, now my second 2740p (May/July - first one defective), I am sick and tired of trying to decide: keep my Smart Buy 2740p, upgrade it to CTO now that it is so much cheaper to do so, get the X-201t, my original choice, now that it is finally available. I just wrote yet another comparo and erased it once I realized I keep repeating myself!

Why I ruminate so on this decision, I cannot say. I believe it suggests that I am not completely happy with either choice, and at present prices I am considering three alternatives:

1) Get a TM2 (again, sigh!) since they're (probably) better now, for about a grand, let it be my (flawed, but usable) tablet for a year or so, then replace it with what I hope will be more choices and, as ever, more computer for less money

2) Get a SONY VPC-Z, since this computer choice fills two bills for me: 1. My tablet; 2. My thin/light travel notebook PC. The SONY is way more computer for the money, but is not a tablet, so it is a functional as well as a product decision. I don't NEED a tablet, I just really like working on them, and when I've been between tablets due to all the RMAs this spring/summer, I missed having a tablet, but not as much as I missed having a thin/light/power notebook (see my portable computing options, below).

3) Get a LIFE! It's just a COMPUTER, and I own 3 other notebooks. HPs all: DV8, DV4t, G60 (I didn't choose my screen name at random :)

Still, as I think while writing, what I want is the power (and phenomenal multimedia capabilities) of my DV8 (the truly underrated diamond in the rough among DTR's, and CHEEEP!) in a thin/light package, that is a tablet, in that order. The SONY is looking pretty good just now. I'll really miss being a "Tablet Person" but I'll still lurk and post here, and likely sell the Z (great resale value!) once the "perfect" tablet comes out.

Guys, stop me before I RMA myself again, this time out of the tablet world - if you think their may be a flaw in the logic of preceding paragraph.

And I was the one who led everyone to covet my 2740 when I got it before anyone, in early May :D

8. Jonndz

Jonndz Pen Pal - Newbie

lovelaptops,

Your ditching the 2740p? Please say it ain't so. You convinced me to get one:D . If you are pondering the Lenovo for a better screen and longer battery life I think you will be disappointed. The screen on the HP2740p I think is equal to if not slightly better than the Lenovo capacitive screen according what I read somewhere (I think JKontherun). And if you take a look at some of the comments concerning the Lenovo screen it is not very reassuring. And that is not to mention the loose bezel problems that has been plaguing the Lenovo tablets for years. As far as battery I think you get more juice with the slice then with the Lenovo extended battery. I think considering the options available today given the existing technology in my opinion the HP 2740p has the competition beat hands down. Yes it is not perfect but it is top of the line convertible right now.Why not just keep the 2740p for a year until a better version comes along by then.

Cheers

9. mazzarin

mazzarin Pen Pal - Newbie

I'd lean towards #2 or #3.

TM2 will feel like a big step down after the 2740, but hey maybe you can live with that. You'll definitely have your complaints and annoyances with that too, that's guaranteed on any consumer HP product.

Following up with Jonndz, the x201t isn't really that much different tbh. Despite higher reviews on the appropriate sites, I'm pretty sure the 2740 has a lot more people buying it and talking about it. I'm also sure the 201t community here is pitifully small, and that's saying a lot considering how small our group is.

Seriously, I looked at *every* current and upcoming laptop in the market with no regard to cost. Requirements: Power, battery life, aesthetic/weight, function. I didn't care about HDD because I was going to put in a Intel SSD or Crucial C300 no matter what.

My final picks? 15" mbp, 2740p, Envy 14, or Vaio Z. Distant fade was the Panasonic C1 but it's availability was so low that I had no faith in it.

Envy - Wasn't released yet, HP prosumer/consumer concerns, blah blah.
    Vaio Z - Felt insubstantial (too light), proprietary components, lesser build quality. Further, every person I know to have owned a Vaio swears that they always fail, but will continue to buy them oddly enough :)
    MBP - Really no reason to knock it out. I used to have a 17" mbp running Vista full time and it was a fantastic machine.

It came down to mbp vs. 2740p, and the functionality / ability to pen/touch won out.

So in closing, Vaio Z ftl ;)

10. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Thanks for the thoughtful response, mazz; just what I was hoping for. A few thoughts:

For what it's worth, with the TM2 I do know what I am getting into, as I have had 2 (!!) and, once working right their only major knock is awful screen angles, which I learned to live with. Funny thing is, I just realized, though there is more cash to outlay up front, I would probably lose more money selling the TM2 in a year than selling the Lenovo or SONY; don't have a fix on 2740 resale value. Maybe that rules it out, in the end.

I haven't heard that (negative) perspective on the Lenovo, (but Jonndtz seems to agree) -I had this impression they were near-perfect. Plus, the reports of battery life, both with max batteries, varies from 2740 (4-8 hrs), Lenovo (5-10). Everyone exaggerates batt life, but I only source owner comments. I know I only get 2.5 hrs on my 2740 w/o slice, and that is very disappointing. Battery life is an important consideration for this purchase; it's to be the machine I take on the road. Plus, even at parity, the Lenovo is almost a pound heavier, each with max battery. No conclusion here, but really appreciate the input. And, no question the size and quality of the 2740 thread is far better here. I do note that a valid theory is that the fewer the posts over time for a brand that sells well, one might conclude that there are fewer problems with the products (Lenovo forums are small both here and on NBR).

If you read the Sony Z threads on NBR, you do get such a mixture of pro and con it is a bit hard to draw conclusions, but I do get a general take that you are right: their quality is spotty and the proprietary components do raise concerns. Still, there was a poll that they did and 38/42 were keeping their Z's and many wrote in to the unhappy person who started the poll and said he either got a lemon or was a malcontent. It is my take as well that, despite having problems with their products, people keep buying and re-buying Sony and I'm not sure if that says more about the brand or it's owners, lol. Finally, I am lame, but what is "ftl"?

Re: MBP: the only one that fits the thin/light bill I need is the 13 and f----n Apple decided, in it's typically arrogant and anti-consumer way that "people don't need Core i cpus in a $1,500 computer in late 2010. Macs are beautiful pieces of work and I have always coveted them, but even if I was willing to pay their inflated prices (eg, on the 15 and 17), you can't BUY a 13" from them that is not anemic. Plus, I read their battery life is cut by almost 50% when in Boot Camp mode (is that what you experienced?), and I'm not at all sure I would become an OSX kool aid drinker after 30 years of MS operating systems. Not that they are better, may be worse, but old dog/new trick issue ;)

First of all, you guys rock! Thanks again for the quick and thoughtful replies. You might be right; though I am not sure about 2740 resale value (I am for the Lenovo and Sony), I do now know the machine and it can work for me for now. Later will always be better, so if you buy quality, sought-after products, you can usually update with fairly little depreciation hit. Just having the "HP" name, Elitebook or not, the HP is likely to depreciate the most. Then again, maybe it will just be fine, and I'll keep it for a long time.

I gotta decide how much I want a convertible tablet now, or the SONY would probably get the nod. I am a "Silver Preferred" customer at Best Buy, which means I get to try stuff for 45 days and return them with no restocking fees, so I can at least be protected against early failures.

Anyway, thanks again for helping me get out of my silly rumination on the purchase.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.