2740p Order Delay -- Official

Discussion in 'HP Elitebooks' started by Techfinance, Jul 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeffghs

jeffghs Pen Pal - Newbie

They are using HP part numbers, so I would venture to say they are HP. I have noticed all including HP have 2 different numbers for the dock. One is listed as WA995UT#ABA labeled smart buy. The other is WA995AA#ABA. I have searched these on HP support site and tried to determine if there was any difference, but could not find any at all. The same applies to the batteries and stylus.

2. Fishface

Fishface Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't think code size is going to grow at anywhere near the same rate as HDD sizes so the 80-160GB ballpark should be quite future proof. This does not apply if you're using a lot of media-heavy applications like lots of image/video editing or games of course.

3. mazzarin

mazzarin Pen Pal - Newbie

UT is smart buy which is a just a "pre-configured discount." AA is the full price option, no difference in product.

4. Techfinance

Techfinance Pen Pal - Newbie

Jeff,

The "the apples to apples" Lenovo came in at $3085 before the discount. That is the i7 processor, 250GB drive, larger battery, 3 yr warranty, docking station, 4GB of RAM, Office 2010 and the camera. With the 10% discount AND AZ sales tax the total was $3009.

The HP I just ordered was the $1,699 Smart Buy with slice battery, ultra slim dock, Office 07, a leather business bag and 3yr warranty. It totalled out, with tax, at $2,680.

That is 12% lower than the lenovo and the HP return policy made it an easy decision to go with the HP, since this will be my first tablet.

And since they are still quoting "Build 7/15 Deliver By 7/31" I will call if there are delays and get them to discount the order further.

5. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Mazz,

Take heart, I was having a bad-2740 and a bad-HP-SMB day! I am both persuaded and comforted by your analysis. I am frustrated with a few functional problems with my 2740:

1) Can't get the fingerprint reader recognized to save my life! (see my posts in 2740 First impressions thread)

2) All my touch/pen functions work great until I try to use my finger to click on a taskbar icon. Not only is the calibration for touch (not for Pen) thrown off by, well, about 2 icons worth, but once I try to touch-click a taskbar icon, sometimes (but not always) it messes up my screen-wide touch calibration and I have to do it over. I called HP SMB tech support today for help with both (after spending many hours following everyone's suggestions and my own ideas for the fingerprint reader to no avail). Spoke to a woman who clearly preferred Chinese to English, had to re-explain the issues for about 10 mins, then she put me on hold...I hung up after 23 more minutes.

I should know better than to stay on the phone when luck draws a bad tech, but I am finding the SmB tech dept way worse than the HP consumer tech support, which has become awesome over the past year.

Anyway, then I learned that the Lenovo had a 270 nit screen and ours only 200 nit and then that Lenovo was offering healthy discounts over the phone...

Think I said it best: a bad-HP.2740 day! For some reason, the more I know how to get things to work on a computer, the more intolerant I grow when I can't solve problems-NOW. Like, I really can live without using my finger to click on taskbar icons until I find the solution and, while I seem to be alone with this fingerprint reader issue, that should be a comfort that it HaS to be fixable. I went through so much to get this, my second 2740 (my first was the first anyone reported receiving, in early May, and it was just an early production lemon), that I'm being a bit of a brat about tolerating problems - like I never owned a Windows computer before, lol.

I will make full use of my 30 days to be sure I am satisfied that the $2,000 investment, but I think it will be a keeper, especially with such swell buds as you all are on these threads.

Note to self: got to get a dedicated 2740 thread created to consolidate all the individual threads and draw more people in. One thing that was great about owning a TM2 for a while (until unit 1 and unit 2 both failed!) was the great community they have. I can see now that what we needed was more people who could actually own the product so that we could have critical mass. I have to say, the rapidly growing 2740 community on TPCR has the potential to rival the best of these forums.

IOW, thanks for the "buck up" message and for properly shaming me (oh so gently ;) ) over my apparent fickleness with my beloved tablet.

Jeff

6. Jonndz

Jonndz Pen Pal - Newbie

According to the official HP 2740p Quick Specs the Outdoor Screen only comes in MultiTouch:

12.1-inch diagonal LED-backlit WXGA ultra wide viewing angle anti-glare (1280 x 800) – digitizer only or digitizer & multi-touch
    Optional Outdoor View, (Outdoor view only available with digitizer and multi-touch)

7. mazzarin

mazzarin Pen Pal - Newbie

I read that a couple of times and always thought that was a typo... but it makes sense. Has anyone here even gotten an outdoor view machine?

You know what else is weird? Page 19 of the HP spec sheet, the two displays have exactly the same spec, bah.

8. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Nice work Tech Finance.:D I didn't know this was your first Tablet-there is a lot of great info on tablets and best programs that are pen/touch enabled in the TM2 thread. You will learn a great deal of useful information and get some great links in the Sticky threads. Also, though we're getting some great new owners contributing here, the TM2 forum has more people with more knowledge (than the likes of me!) on those threads.

By the way, I am an independent financial advisor to emerging growth technology Companies, so if that's the meaning of your screen ID, send me a PM and we can see if we home more in Common than computer brands!

Good luck, and let me know if You wont to be "vocal "about your ship date. The names I provided you are people who will remember me by name, as I eventually spoke to them or emailed every 2-3 days and mode some "human interest" by explaining that I was having spine surgery and Rehab, so I really needed a small, light computer I Could write on when I couldn't type. Truly. It not only worked in getting me my Computer 1 day after they said it would be a mouth, but it had the rare advantage of being the truth!

9. samaarons

samaarons Pen Pal - Newbie

I order an outdoor view and in the line item detail I have this: (1360458 VB529AV 009 LCD 12.1 WXGA UWVA OTDR LED TCH ). I believe TCH = Touch.

10. samaarons

samaarons Pen Pal - Newbie

I am waiting for mine. I did order the outdoor view because I was assured by a couple of the HP small business sales rep that it is multi-touch, plus the spec says it is. And the confirmation order via email I got from HP shows a line item as ==> 1360458 VB529AV LCD 12.1 WXGA UWVA OTDR LED TCH 1 .00 .00 .

I pray I get it the first week of August. I order it 7/12/2010 with a ship date of 7/28/2010

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.