2740p Latch Issue

Discussion in 'HP Elitebooks' started by mazzarin, Aug 10, 2010.

?

Does your 2740p have a 'loose latching mechanism' when in slate mode

1. Yes, my unit has the latch issue

11 vote(s)
    55.0%
  2. Nope, the display is held securely down.

8 vote(s)
    40.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mazzarin

mazzarin Pen Pal - Newbie

In an effort to get more data about whether the 'play' with the 2740p latch is more widespread, just thought I'd start a poll.

Specifically I mean when in slate mode, there's a few mm of travel since the latch isn't holding the screen all the way down / snug.

2. in4mer

in4mer Scribbler - Standard Member

OMG... it is annoying...I think maybe the first batch is stuffed. Hopefully I can get this fixed... along with the endless list of other issues that everyone else is experiencing. Hopefully some new drivers and all will start rolling out after numerous calls to HP

Update:
    I called HP and they said they'll send someone to "fix" the problem. I'll have to do that when I go to the UK so whoever has this problem, let me know how it goes!

3. runningcode

runningcode Pen Pal - Newbie

mine is held down, but i can imagine how frustrating this would be.

however, every once in a while my latch doesn't latch. i just have to lift the screen up a centimeter and put it back down and it works fine.

4. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I'm thinking this is not a binary works/doesn't issue. My latch holds the screen securely, but there is a little bit of play, such that if I push down on the area farthest from the latch, it will move an mm or more, but remain secured. I would be happier if the screen fit very snug and tightly, but frankly thought this was just a design defect, so it is encouraging if HP considers it a mfg defect and will fix or replace those that do not close tight and snug. I have a new 2740 coming to replace mine (RMA-ing mine and upgrading to: 160GB SSD, outdoor multitouch screen; decided not to go to Core i7 cpu because of reports of significant heat issues and virtually zero performance diff. vs. Core i5-540

5. pirate.bill

pirate.bill Pen Pal - Newbie

Mine has a good deal of play when in slate mode and it is driving me nuts! Every time I write on the screen I have to hold it down again the computer, taking up the slack, so that the screen doesn't bounce as I write. I wasn't sure if this was true with everyone's notebook or just mine and I had considered velcroing the screen's backside so it would form a closer fit with the computer in slate mode.

6. pirate.bill

pirate.bill Pen Pal - Newbie

A quick update many months later. I finally decided that I might want to sell my 2740p and sent it into HP to be serviced to repair the latch. I apparently did have one of the earlier, malfunctioning lids because now the screen lies flush and secure when in tablet mode - sweet! HP also replaced the hand guards, hard drive and a fan which must have come up as malfunctioning in their diagnostics, because I hadn't mentioned them.

Sadly, only now does this notebook seem like a fully-formed product, almost 2 years after it was purchased. I like the idea and form of some of HP's computers and notebooks but their software, drivers, and quality control are really atrocious. If I had purchased this notebook now for $1000 or less in the state it is now, I would be satisfied. Having paid almost $2000 including the service plan and the quality of the initial product I received, I am less than pleased. Now I am not sure if I should sell my 2740p or not...

7. GreenStorm

GreenStorm Pen Pal - Newbie

Having a 2760p which basically has the same latching-mechanism I can report, that I have the same "issue" - though it is mostly not an issue for me. Sometimes though when I am using the tablet in slate-mode during a lecture it can get annoying, when the display has some millimeters in move when I try to rest my palm on it. Feels more like the display flexing downwards though, than the latch not holding it in properly..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.