2740p keyboard

Discussion in 'HP Elitebooks' started by bilzebub, Dec 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bilzebub

bilzebub Pen Pal - Newbie

Just got my 2740p, and it's great except for one flaw. Coming from both a tc4200 and tc4400 (and my wife having a 2710p) I was expecting an absolutely ZERO-FLEX keyboard, and the tabletpcreview.com review suggested I should get just that. However, I have significant (if not consumer laptop-level) flex under the keys W-E-R, S-D-F, and X-C-V in rows 1,2,3 respectively. Is this a flaw I should report, or is it just the way it is?

Cheers,
    Bilze

2. beckyb

beckyb Scribbler - Standard Member

Don't know about the 2740, but on my 2730, there is no flex in the keyboard. Sounds like maybe there's a screw missing in that spot, or it's not catching?

3. pmatulew

pmatulew Scribbler - Standard Member

The 2700 series are very fussy to assemble. Most likely it's not put together quite right.

When the motherboard gets attached to the base casting there is a tin shielding piece in the middle of the motherboard with flanges that point downward and are visible from below with the hatch cover removed. If they are misaligned it causes the center of the motherboard to bulge up and and that makes the keyboard humpy also.

4. bilzebub

The keyboard sits flat, not humpy, but sags downwards. If it is not put together quite right, or missing a screw, hard to know without disassembling -- do you think HP support would deal with a (to them) relatively minor issue like this? I know it's minor, but a solid keyboard is why i spent 1200 rather than 800 on a consumer series tablet :)

5. in4mer

in4mer Scribbler - Standard Member

We paid tonnes of money for this machine, so I'd suggest that you get a hold of HP CS and tell them to send you a new keyboard.

Any issues I have, HP usually does that I tell them after I do what they tell me and it doesn't work.

6. Incitatus

Incitatus Scribbler - Standard Member

It's odd, but I had the exact same issue with my new 2740p

Same location, centered around the "d" key was a circle of flex, considerable flex. More flex than I would expect on just about any laptop.

I swapped Keyboards from one of the refurbs HP was pawning off to me prior, and discovered that the problem seems to be not with the assembly, but with the actual Keyboard itself.

Try to get them to initiate a customer self-repair ticket and mail you out a new keyboard.

7. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

As the proud recipient of 5 2740s (long story!) I can tell you I have never had a keyboard with a bit of flex. If you are still within 30 days, definitely get a full replacement. Otherwise, I would send it back to HP rather than do a do it yourself, but that's just me. I'm concerned if you have them send you a new keyboard (which I am sure they will, even if you have to escalate once to get it approved) and you still have the same problem or, heaven forbid, you screw something up, they might be less accommodating to fix it.

8. robdam1001

robdam1001 Scribbler - Standard Member

no flex whatsoever on my 2740p KB - send it back ASAP.

9. bilzebub

I will be contacting HP pronto!

[Edit == just did; they're shipping me a box! Thanks for your support, all]

10. bilzebub

Update -- had a great warranty experience -- mostly, with an amazingly fast turnaround time -- received the box 24 hours later, and the computer 2 business days after that. They replaced the keyboard, and about 90% of that flex is now gone. There is now not zero flex, but almost.

Thanks for the help guys

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.