2740p Dithering

Discussion in 'HP Elitebooks' started by user125, Oct 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Incitatus

Incitatus Scribbler - Standard Member

Just got my new 2740p, had the same "dithering" issue as you described.

This fix worked fantastically! Thanks for the info!

2. pwnsweet

pwnsweet Pen Pal - Newbie

Does the 2740p have different panel options when you customize to order or do they all use the same panel?

3. Incitatus

Incitatus Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't think you can choose your Panel beyond standard options. They Use Hydis BOE panels for all Outdoor Models, and so far I've only seen Samsung SEC panels for the other touch enabled panels.

4. pwnsweet

pwnsweet Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks very much for that info Incitatus. Can you please confirm that I'm reading your post correctly - are you saying that all outdoor models use Hydis panels but are NOT touch enabled?

Also, I believe SEC panels are actually made by Seiko-Epson.

5. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

This is a delayed response to your post, but it needs correcting. First, the Boe Hydis outdoor panels on the 2740p most assuredly ARE touch enabled. In fact, contrary to a post I saw in a different thread, I am 99% certain that you can't buy a 2740 tht is not touch enabled. The Lenovo outdoor screens DO only come in pen only screen input. They are also much brighter, at 400 nits vs. about 250 for the HP outdoor and 300 for the Fujitsu.

What I can't confirm - nor can anyone else - is that all outdoor panels for the 2740 are made by Boe Hydis. Until September sometime, the outdoor and indoor panels were made by SEC, which, I believe you are correct, refer to the Japanese joint venture Seiko-Epson. Since September, when HP changed it's product data sheets to describe the outdoor screen differently than before (increased brightness, contrast and anti-reflective layer, etc.) the outdoor screens they have been using are Boe Hydis, but with HP you never know, they change vendors like I change socks!

Oh, and, FYI, the Boe Hydis panels are among the nicest I've seen in 12" matte finish form. Only the Fujitsu outdoor screens give them a run for their money, probably exceeding them in brightness and color saturation, but both have a bit of graininess due to the multi touch digitizer, the Fujitsu being far more grainy of the two, though it IS available as a pen-only active digitizer, which has no graininess whatsoever. You can eliminate all the graininess of the dual digitizer screens by using a screen protector, such as the Photodon Crystal Clear. The downside of that is a reduction in the touch sensitivity.

Whew! Lotta info there. I think it is accurate, but anyone who knows more, please chime in.

6. Lehto

Lehto Scribbler - Standard Member

it states in HP software packages that:
    "DEVICES SUPPORTED:
    Monitor\SECxxxx="Samsung Panel"
    Monitor\BOExxxx="BOE Panel"

This still doesnt mean that it couldnt be made by seiko-epson, but I've never heard of a Seiko-Epson IPS panel. But times the first time... or so they say.

EDIT: I am not sure of this, but I think I might of found out the reason why the dithering appears with newer drivers. The drivers no longer detect the display as connection through LVDS so it disables GFX dithering when it has no clue the display is a laptop display. The same thing also now happens with the newest xorg-intel linux drivers and the LVDS is now called eDP1.

7. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

I had rolled back to the earlier Intel drivers based on your recommendation but have recently re-installed the most recent drivers to fix a different issue and I see no dithering. FWIW, I have the Boe Hydis display.

8. Lehto

This could very well be a firmware issue in the 2740p monitor (more like the samsung indoor paneled versions?) not telling through the embedded displayport that GFX dithering is needed.

9. Concentrate

Concentrate Scribbler - Standard Member

Did you guys try my fix for the other thread?

10. Lehto

Yeah it fixed the flickering. This is a problem that the graphics card stops emulating 24bit colorspace as the display is only capable of 18bit colorspace.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.