2740p Dithering

Discussion in 'HP Elitebooks' started by user125, Oct 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. user125

user125 Pen Pal - Newbie

I just recently bought a HP elitebook 2740p. I read the indoor/outdoor panel thread and found that depending on which panel you have the contrast/brightness may vary. However, I couldn't find any articles on the dithering. If I goto hulu, instead of a clean gradient of grey/black its like 5rows of different shades of grey. If i watch a video on youtube, i can see artifacts or dithering. Someone mentioned that the panel can only output 14bit color even though the intel hd video card says it can do 32 bit true color. Is this just a limitation of the tablet or will switching out the panel fix the issue. I am a quality freak and passed the tm2t in order to get this.

2. whazzup

whazzup Scribbler - Standard Member

in the intel hd video card settings, is it already at 32bit color setting? i had this problem earlier, albeit with my 2730p, where the color setting was at 16bit after a driver upgrade.

3. Lehto

Lehto Scribbler - Standard Member

I dont understand how I never payed attention to this until I thought about calibrating the display.

This test, my desktop monitors (HP LP2475w(H-IPS), Samsung 226BW(TN), very old 19" tft(TN)) all are capable of smooth gradients. Even my fathers cheap consumer laptop can do smooth gradients. When I hook the 226BW to 2740p, the gradients on 226BW are smooth but internal LCD has a lot of banding.

To see if yours can do proper gradient without banding go to here (preferably with IE as it doesnt do dithering). It would be interesting to hear if others have the same problem, this is totally unacceptable behaviour from an IPS panel in such an expensive laptop. How is anybody supposed to do graphics with it when the banding is so crazy.
    Gradient (banding) - Lagom LCD test

EDIT: My 2740p internal looks exactly like this.
    Pick @ lagom.nl

EDIT2: Ok... for the hell of it, im just going to reinstall windows and see if it affects anything. Because everything works fine under my debian installation... though the linux install might do dithering.

EDIT3: Windows reinstalled, gradient bandings gone now. Now to figure out what the hell was causing it!

EDIT4: Newest intel drivers from Windows Update brought the crazy banding back into action. ANNOYING!!!

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. repray

repray Pen Pal - Newbie

I went to the lagom website and, as far as I can tell, no gradient bandings on my monitor. (Phew, thank god.)

Looks like the problem is definitely caused by the new Intel driver.

5. runningcode

runningcode Pen Pal - Newbie

so let me get this straight, you are using a highly compressed video as a reference and you noticed some color banding and your first assumption was that it was the display panel?

6. user125

user125 Pen Pal - Newbie

@runningcode. so in answer to your sarcastic question, read my original post again, then you'll get it "straight" =)

Who said I was viewing highly compressed video? It could have been 1080p for all you know. I was initially talking about the grey banding on the sides of the video in hulu which has nothing to do with the quality of the video.
    In addition to that, I have other computers too.
    When the display cannot show a grey gradient theres a problem. My first guess was the video card couldn't handle true color but thats not what the manufacturer says. So i googled 2740p and dithering and i came across several pages on this site. Some refered to the panel only being able to output 14 bit color. However, since that wasn't the main topic of discussion, no one discussed that point further. So I decided to open a thread that focused on that matter, and as a result, it was found that the newest drivers cause this problem.

7. Lehto

Banding problem solved, must use the "first" HP drivers available for GMA HD through their site. The later version doesnt work properly... ARGH I HATE THIS! Should propably call their support and whine about it just for fun.

8. solsavr

solsavr Pen Pal - Newbie

So Lehto...you gonna post up the linky so we know exactly which one to install? ;) :p

9. Lehto

No! Oh wait... yea!

sp47619.exe

10. pirate.bill

pirate.bill Pen Pal - Newbie

I installed the older Intel driver that Lehto posted and it seems to have taken care of the flickering and contrast issues with my screen. So for now it looks like my problem may have been fixed - thanks for the info!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.