2740p BSOD

Discussion in 'HP Elitebooks' started by in4mer, Aug 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. in4mer

in4mer Scribbler - Standard Member

I've finally got my hands on the 2740p. I've upgraded to intel 80GB SSD and programs are flying open.

I know this machine just came out and I'm sure there would be problems, I just wish it wasn't the BSOD. (I hate the latch thing, but hopefully someone will have a `quick fix`for this.

My machine has been sporatically restarting (even though I set it NOT to automatically restart). I have reinstalled everything and downloaded all the latest drivers, installed microsoft office, diskeeper with hyperfast, adobe, and battery care.

It makes a staticy sound with the speakers (which makes me think it has something to do with the speakers) and then restarts. I cannot check the minidump file because it doesn't create one...really weird. The event log logs it as an unexpected shutdown.

Just wondering if anyone has this issue. I've had this issue before with my TC4400 and it just drove me nuts. I might just pop in windows 7 and DVD drivers without updating them and hope that will solve the problem.

2. robdam1001

robdam1001 Scribbler - Standard Member

Did you install the SSD yourself or did HP ship it installed?

3. in4mer

installed it myself

4. Lehto

Lehto Scribbler - Standard Member

Thats very odd. A memory stick is broken from factory?

5. runningcode

runningcode Pen Pal - Newbie

ive been getting bsod that im also positive are coming from the sound driver. i really dont trust idt.

as for the mini-dump, make sure it is enabled in your settings. right click on my computer then click properties, advanced settings, startup and recover. make sure dump is enabled.

6. in4mer

@runningcode You think it's the sound because when it shows the BSOD, it makes a crackling static noise and then it's rebooted right? That's what happens to me. I have set it to not restart automatically AND to make a dump file but this BSOD doesn't listen!

I've called HP, they say because it's random, it is probably memory or harddrive(which is not true because I have used both my SSD and HDD, same problem so can't be HD.) So i'm testing out the ram 1 module at a time. So far it's crashed on 1 so I'll test the next one. If that's not the case then it will be the system board according to HP tech support. I think I feel like lovelaptops with his lemon machine!

7. runningcode

crackling static noise on the bsod may happen whether or not it is a sound driver. i think its caused by the sudden stop of windows. as for the cause, I just sort of assumed it was the idt driver because my bsod was a IRQL_DRIVER_LESS_THAN_OR_EQUAL (or something like that). so when this happens i always assume it is caused by piece of hardware on my machine that i suspect has the most poorly written drivers. in this case, i assumed it was idt, because their software look very non-professional. (the fading in effect when you open their software, low resolution speaker and headphone icons, etc)

so in the end, im just making assumptions, but im pretty sure its idt. intel video, network drivers im sure work because hundreds of machines use their chips. could be wacom, but i wasn't using the touchscreen at the time. synaptics is used on hundreds of machines as well.

8. solsavr

solsavr Pen Pal - Newbie

I was having this issue...but mine was related to Zonealarm...once I uninstalled ZA, no more BSOD...I loaded up MS Essentials for AV and just use MS firewall, and for the last 2 + days of heavy, 12-14 hour per day use, everything works like it should...I am happy again, cause i luv this tablet!

Even if you don't have ZA, I would recommend getting rid of your current virus protection, try MS essentials, and see if that helps...worth a try either way, its free!:D

9. runningcode

i dont use anti virus software. it annoys me and i can't stand the performance loss

10. in4mer

Trying to catch up on the latest. I ended up sending my machine in as DOA and re-purchased a new machine only to appear to get screwed as the refund may take up to 28 days but was told 4 business days when I brought it in...SO FAR NO BSOD, knock on wood!

Update:

I jinxed it. Having the same random restarts. IS ANYONE HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM AT ME? Please let me know I'm not alone! I think it's software related. Gonna have to uninstall 1 at a time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.