2740p Battery Life

Discussion in 'HP Elitebooks' started by Techfinance, Aug 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lehto

Lehto Scribbler - Standard Member

It takes me about 1.5hours to go through 30% of battery life. This is with the computer connected to WLAN, logged into MSN Messenger, running firefox in the background and having OneNote open for taking notes. Display is running about 50% brightness.

What comes to the WmiPrvSE.exe. Its not really the culprit of whats going on, its like a "middle barrier" between the hardware and software connection in operating system. And for some reason the HP Power Assistant likes to stress it a lot for 5-10seconds every minute or so. I dont know why this happens and its not my business to debug HP software for them. But this takes about 1.5hours of my battery life EASILY, therefore HP Power Assistant had to go from my computer. Might not happen with other computers though.

EDIT: Just tried 0% brightness and WLAN on and the windows battery icon thingy pretty much lied to me that it should last 6hours. In its dreams I say...

2. lolland

lolland Pen Pal - Newbie

! That stupid WmiPrvSE.exe problem! I had it too and it drove me nuts to the point that I always have a task manager (procexp64) running in tray so I can see when that stupid POS launches and starts amping up my CPU. It's a bit of a hack, but you can suspend the process until you're back at a dock/have an AC plug. Note that hardware detection will be suspended until you resume that process.

Luckily I haven't seen it cause any trouble the last few days, but I definitely know what you're talking about.

I uninstalled HP PA long ago and still saw the issue, so you still might have it.

3. Lehto

Lehto Scribbler - Standard Member

I have a complete reinstall so I dont have it anymore. I traced it originally to some Intel RAID Event logger service when I traced what were using the WmiPrvSE.exe, I completely disabled those services and got rid of it (or so I thought... after that I just reinstalled whole windows on SSD). The problem was very annoying as the scrolling of webpages started jerking and thats why I originally found out it was consuming power for no reason.

EDIT: The service that handles WmiPrvSE.exe is actually called "Windows Management Instrumentation" and disabling it will take the WmiPrvSE.exe down until next restart.

4. petr999

petr999 Pen Pal - Newbie

5. in4mer

in4mer Scribbler - Standard Member

Alright guys. I think everyone is experience a radical and unstable battery life and estimates that keep jumping up and down due to hp wireless assistant. Now I hope that installing the newest version will solve the problem. What I realise is that hp website is slow on updates. You need to download hp softpaq which is on the 2740p website.

HP softpaq searches the catalog on HP's website and displays the latest versions of the software and drivers relevant to your laptop or your selection.

The version I have here for the 2740p is the 4.0.10 version so HOPEFULLY according to the website petr999 linked to the hp forum, this update will solve the problem and everyone will be happy.

6. petr999

petr999 Pen Pal - Newbie

it was working fine for 2 days, and now the rouge process/service is back... :(

edit: i am testing 4.0.6.0 now, and it seems to be working so far, only spiking when turning devices on/off, but u never know... I will report in a couple days

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  7. Incitatus

Incitatus Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm running trouble free on a clean install. I do not have HP WA running, and this service is not troubling me at all...

Has anyone else tried simply not using WA?

8. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Hi Incitatus!

I was just wondering: if you uninstall HP Power Assistant, how do you turn Bluetooth on and off? You can turn the WWLAN on and off with the hardware switch on the side, but it is not readily apparent to me how to switch Bluetooth via software.

Also, other than HP WA and HP PA, are there any other HP, Intel or other sftwe programs that you believe are power hogs or system-interruptors? Working from the other direction, in your clean Windows install, what additional programs did you install?

Many thanks,

Jeff

9. lolland

lolland Pen Pal - Newbie

You can turn bluetooth on/off from device manager. It's clunky but it should work.

Funny that I mention that, I just went to device manager and I don't see bluetooth anywhere, even though I remember disabling it. Oh well!

10. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Hmmm....I smell a rat :D FWIW, I have been running HPWA in 4 different notebooks in my household and they all seem to perform just fine. I am not touting it, but if getting rid of it, then turning bluetooth off in device driver somehow uninstalls or disables BT, it might be worth putting it back on the 2740 and hunting for the gremlins elsewhere. Or have you specifically identified it as being the resource hog while running in the 2740 w/Core i5, etc? If so, I'm sure there is another way to toggle BT on/off other than the HPWA.

I definitely experience the same annoying hang-up/pauses, so we surely have a problem. Thing is, many machines seem to run just fine with lots and lots of bloatware, and their owners are none the wiser. Again, I have one HP dv8 Core i7 Quad, but 2 other lesser HP notebooks w/Pentium or C2D cpus and they have always had HPWA running in bkrd and none of the symptoms we are all getting on our 2740s. Food for thought? Reminds me: I'm hungry, lol!