2740p Battery Life

Discussion in 'HP Elitebooks' started by Techfinance, Aug 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Folks,

I just stumbled on an idea for major battery svings with wifi on. I found in a different forum and regret I can give credit where due, but I will find and edit it with proper attribution:

"I went into device manager, opened up network devices, opened up the properties of my wireless card, and turned down the transmit power drop-down to "Minimum". This isn't the same as the wireless power setting in the standard Power control panel applet, and I've yet to have any measurable problems in my house or at my office with the power turned all the way down."

When I applied this my power usage dropped to an incredibly low 6 watts from 11 (I was seeking the best efficiency could get already.) Just to illustrate what the 6 watts savings did, it increased my remaing estimated life on 7/8 charge from 2.5 hrs to 4:29 hrs!

Try it and see what it does for you and do report in. I don't think it will work w/G routers and you may need to put your setting higher than minimum, bu you can save a fir bit of wifi drain even at the medium setting.

After installing this, for maximum efficiency (this really drove up my battery life when surfing),

2. Lehto

Lehto Scribbler - Standard Member

Not possible. 6watt savings sounds way too much and exaggerated.
    The wifi at maximum is about 60-100milliwatts, that means maximum of 0.1watts. Not even my Alfa networks AWUS036H can eat such ammounts of power.

3. lovelaptops

then why do the test reviewers always get an extra hour or more w/wifi off
    ?

4. in4mer

in4mer Scribbler - Standard Member

Is this with wireless off?

I am a bit disappointed with the battery life. Originally, when you look at hp power assistant it would say approx 9 - 11 hours. My computer could not handle any more than 6-7 hours with a slice and SSD and brightness @0% (I can squint), which annoyed me that day because I didn't bring my ac adapter and couldn't use the laptop anymore. I tried to keep above the 20% threshold to maintain the battery. I wonder if I had kept the HDD if that would be less.

I am going to try to reduce wireless transmit but I think I may need to turn off wireless to get closer to 9 hours because I know that turning off the wireless helps quite a bit.

I guess I was mislead by some people stating they get those hours WITH wireless and brightness @ 50%.

5. Lehto

Might have something to do with their software. A lot of people run anti-virus software coupled with some sort of firewall that scans everything that happens on the outgoing and incoming network activity, and the processes too, that if the firefox.exe might of turned into badh4xz0rsspambotnetwork.exe every time you load google. This doesnt really make any sense at all as it wastes hell load of cpu cycles for absolutely nothing. Its like looking under your bed every 5 minutes to see if the boogieman has used time and space continuum to warp under your bed.* Laptops and antivirus software are a bad couple and leads to horrible battery life.

What comes to the wifi transmit power change. It was propably from 60mw to 10mw. that means. From 0.06watts to 0.01watts. You wont even see any difference except that the transmitting power becomes very ****ty and the wifi connection will slow down a lot unless your close to the AP. Why he saw such increase in the battery life is beyond me. Maybe something got patched, cant say for sure. Too many variables.

*My opinion!

6. lovelaptops

Well, in my opinion we still have a bit of an unsolved mystery here. Whenever battery life is spoken-of, the discussion is about with/without wifi, w,w/o BT, etc. Why would people always bring up wireless radios in conjunction with battery life if they only took .01 mw? Also, I saw with my own eyes that my power meter dropped 5 watts when I reduced the power draw to "minimum" on the Intel Centrino Properties as the poster had instructed. I haven't had a problem with connectivity, as I mostly use it in my home/home office and the router is always very near.

But let's see if we can't get a better handle on this, because I have a lot of respect for Lehto, but so many others speak of wireless radios, second only to displays and HDDs as the greatest suckers of power.

Thoughts?

7. Lehto

There is apparently 2x output radios in the Intel AGN 6200, it could be that when you drop the power rate it will take out the other radio and lower the other ones transmission power from ~60mw to ~10mw. But it still doesnt explain 5watts powerconsumption change. Basically by having 5watts reduced from the power consumption you should easily be hitting 4 - 4.5hours on battery now? As when im connected to wifi my typical power consumption varies between 9 and 12 watts per hour. Im going to do a bit of testing now as I have a day off.

8. lolland

lolland Pen Pal - Newbie

I can definitely confirm that I see around 9W w/o wifi and around 12-13W with, at least according to BatteryBar. Exclusive of any wifi-tweaks mentioned above.

9. Lehto

After extensive testing and having gone through the battery charges twice. I can say there is only 1watt difference in maximum power consumption wether the wifi is set to minimum or to maximum power, when its doing nothing theres no difference. that means about 5minutes more of batterylife when talking of the maximum consumption. The only thing I noticed was that I could no longer connect to the wifi from bedroom and that I couldnt utilize my 24mb broadband to no more than 10mb from my living room.

Oh yeah. And the HP Power assistant seems to be the biggest aidsware of the stock installed software. I reinstalled it to do these tests and WHOOPLAAH WmiPrvSE.exe is back to hogging cpu power every few minutes! Man I wish it was completely removed by uninstalling it. The HP power waster software seems to be the culprit, which might of given me the huge boost of the SSD batterylife.

EDIT: Yeah seems that the WmiPrvSE.exe has calmed down now that the HP powerwaster is removed.

10. lovelaptops

Before I forget, can you be a bit more specific about your reference to the "HP Powerwaster" and WmiPrvSE.exe? I am beyond clueless as to what you mean and what the impact is.

Back to wifi power/battery life: Yes, I am showing 4.5 hrs battery life, at around 7-8 watts with SSD, wifi power at lowest setting, screen at about 25%. I have done nothing else to improve performance or efficiency - have only had this 2740 (my 3rd and, I hope, final!) for a week and most of it on vacation.

With all the raps against bloatware, I can hardly imagine the thing running any faster and have not heard of anyone getting better battery life than I am, so I ask: is it worth the trouble to do a clean W7 install and painstaking process of installing software you DO want to have? I can see the benefit of increasing storage on the SSD, but it will be a while before I approach a capacity problem.

So, a bit off topic as to battery life - though improvements have been claimed - but can someone succinctly make the case for a clean windows install and removal of any/most of the Bloatware. Personally, I find the security features to be way overkill for me. I like the password protection, the fingerprint reader and disk encryption, but there seems to be so much more. Otherwise, when I look at msconfig I don't see many startup files I don't need but the list of services running is truly mind-boggling and I don't know which are needed, but once I did try to make "educated guesses" that turned out to be pretty uneducated and I ended up with a fairly nonfunctional computer. Fortunately I could boot in safe mode and restore back 24 hrs and leave all the services there.

I kind of think that having such a powerful cpu and ultrafast SSD gives you the luxury of not having to obsess too much over managing every byte of unnecessary software or services, but please enlighten me.

Finally, back to battery life and the various adjustments and wildly different results we are seeing: I don't trust even Battery Bar (normally my favorite) as to usage or time left at current consumption rate, so I am going to try to have a 3-4 hr work/play session and see just how many minutes until my fully charged battery hits the 7% reserve. Just got the registered mail receipt that my "OEM" slice ($84) is in from Hong Kong and I have to pick it up at the Post Office, so that will add yet another dimension to review.

Cheers for now.