2740p Battery Life

Discussion in 'HP Elitebooks' started by Techfinance, Aug 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lolland

lolland Pen Pal - Newbie

Intel G2 SSD, 160GB. I see about 4.5hours* on main battery with office-type usage (browser, onenote, outlook, email, wifi). Haven't needed the slice yet :)

* I haven't really had to test it yet either. Easily past 4 hours. I haven't determined exact benefits of keeping wifi on or off yet.

Note 1) According to Battery Bar (freeware), 10% of my battery is busted anyways since it only charges to 39,827 mWh so tack on another half hour when/if I get a replacement battery.
    Note 2) I am (unfortunately) running mandated crapware, as in AV/firewall, and am still seeing good results.
    Note 3) You MUST reinstall HP Quick Launch Buttons, HP Security Manager, and HP Wireless Assistant if you want core functionality available to you.

2. solsavr

solsavr Pen Pal - Newbie

You know Jeff, WIN 7 has a darn good backup program, so i used that.

To store the image, I have used removable drives (USB), DVDs (requires lots of um!) but for this latest image I used my BKUP portable WD HD. It was the easiest, and the image I made for the 2740, I included my favorite programs, which i use, so it was quite large...I think about 64G...That would be lots of DVDs!:D

Normallly I would just image the OS, drivers, etc to get the system back to "new" status, before software (personal preference, but many do what I just did with the 2740 too) but I wanted a "complete system" so I went a bit larger this time, and used my portable HD to store it.

Annually, I will just reimage the backup, and have a "clean" registry error free system again! :cool:

Hope that helps :)

John

3. robdam1001

robdam1001 Scribbler - Standard Member

I use Norton Ghost 14.

4. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Thanks John. I had the idea that Windows backup only backs up the system - no programs or drivers. I know you can fairly easily get them installed, but would it not be easier to image the entire drive onto an external HD with a program like Ghost, remove the crapware from the imaged drive, then move the slimmed-down image back to the cleaned SSD? I may well be misunderstanding something about how Windows backup works...

5. Lehto

Lehto Scribbler - Standard Member

Just some random information on the WLAN connection power usage.

It uses ~0.5watts when in use and ~0.1watts when the connection is idling. The WLAN system almost immediately drops back to idle power usage when theres no network activity.

For the people with 3G connection the following power consumption:
    ~0.5watts when in use and ~0.05watts when idling. 3G connection drops to idle after 1 minute of no usage.

6. solsavr

solsavr Pen Pal - Newbie

Actually WIN 7 does both, it is up to you to decide what you choose to backup. Here is another "link":eek: Which gives the basics, but is really informative, in a way that all users can benefit from. It covers all the options pretty well;)

How To Use Backup and Restore in Windows 7 - How-To Geek

7. Techfinance

Techfinance Pen Pal - Newbie

WOW WOW WOW,

System wiped and Win 7 reloaded, a few HP programs reloaded and I am seeing 8 hours and 36 minutes. What an improvement -- 2 hours!!

8. solsavr

solsavr Pen Pal - Newbie

Amazing huh! I am convinced that something in the HP "bloatware" is eating battery...but as you have discovered...it works! :D

9. lolland

lolland Pen Pal - Newbie

With slice, I presume ;)

10. Techfinance

Techfinance Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, it is with the slice. And when I am not out of my office and have my 2740p hooked up to my large monitor in my office the battery life JUMPS to 11hours.