2740p Battery Life

Discussion in 'HP Elitebooks' started by Techfinance, Aug 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Techfinance

Techfinance Pen Pal - Newbie

6 hours and 40 minutes with slice attached. I usually run 3-5 IE or Chrome windows at a time, plus an application or two. It doesn't seem to me that I work the machine that hard. I was expecting a much higher number.

2. robdam1001

robdam1001 Scribbler - Standard Member

I had been getting about the same BEFORE I replaced the hard drive with an SSD. Now I'm getting ~ 10-12 hours.

3. Lehto

Lehto Scribbler - Standard Member

This was before I had SSD:
    I found that my system had some rebel processess that consumed 100% cpu time every once in a while and they shooted the 9watts per hour consumption to about 15-18wh making the battery life seem really really crap. All I had done before that was use the HP update thingies. I seriously couldnt be arsed to reinstall Windows 7 to the HDD as the SSD was coming in a day or two anyways.

Then came in the SSD:
    I had to reinstall Windows 7, as I wiped the SSD clean before install. After I had installed all the drivers and stuff I noticed that the battery seems to "last forever" and I get 4 hours (maybe more) of the main battery.

Im not sure if this is the effect of the SSD or purely just getting rid of the annoying rebel processes that ate my CPU time every 5minutes or so (and lasted 10-20seconds eating 100% cpu time).

4. solsavr

solsavr Pen Pal - Newbie

Great observation Lehto! I too have seen improvements after my wipe of all the HP Bloatware (hey, maybe its the energystar program that eats battery :p )...I will say it again...get rid of the HP crap, and start fresh...do it day one when you get the PC, you won't be sorry!

I love this tablet:D

5. Techfinance

I love the tablet, but I don't know how to wipe the system and then reinstall what is needed. I could ask my IT guy I guess. Any tips?

6. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

That's great news to hear: 2 more hours (per battery - 4 extra w/slice) for going to SSD, maybe a bit more with clean install.

Can anyone point me to the clean install "primer" that I know I have seen but can't locate?

BTW, I finally got through the ridiculous indecision and committed to stick with the 2740p :eek: :) . I have re-ordered a configuration that I think makes all the right tradeoffs and cut a very nice deal and found an excellent rep, Samuel Kramer, samuel.e.kramer@hp.com - can't recommend him highly enough. More info on configuration and the extensive hands-on testing I did of all competing offerings on the "ordering" thread, if anyone is remotely interested in hearing yet another "analysis" from me :eek: :eek: .

Glad to be sticking with the machine - and this awesome forum! :) Jeff

7. solsavr

solsavr Pen Pal - Newbie

Well here is a great tutorial to follow. Before you begin, MAKE SURE you BACKUP anything/everything you want/need to a usb drive, etc. That is why is makes the most sense to do this when you first get the PC :)

I could explain this for you myself...but i would probably confuse you, AND why reinvent the wheel:D

This link is great...but follow it closely. PRINT IT OUT before you begin!

SSD / HDD : Optimize for Windows Reinstallation - Windows 7 Forums

You will need to have the WIN 7 Operating DVD you got from HP (if you ordered it), if not, its like $5 bucks from HP...get it, you need this to begin.

Next you should also have or need to get the HP Application and Driver Recovery DVD. This is where you can pick and choose, what HP applications you put back on the PC. I only put back the HP Protecttool/Security stuff (figerprint reader, passwords, etc), the Business card reader, and the Webcam software, (but you may want to install other HP stuff like Quickweb), but ... IMHO, don't instal any of the other junk, other than mentioned...you will defeat what you are trying to do!;)

WIN 7 works great on its own, and the HP "Bloatware" just adds "layers" over WIN 7 things that do the same thing!

To begin, once you have the DVDs, I recommend (per the link) Method One, then STEP 1, 2 & 3.

DO EVERYTHING that it says, for EVERY STEP. Its easy, once you start:eek: Really it is, just takes time to get it all back together, depending on how many programs you put back on (and your own documents, software etc).

I also recommend that you DO NOT install the WIN 7 updates from the HP DVD...go online and get them directly from Microsoft; they are newer, and you will avoid additional, older updates from being installed. You will need to install the "wireless" drivers (and others) that are on you HP DVD before you can get back online, but as stated, it is easy to do this. FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS, Step x Step.

One last suggestion, I have recently switched anti-virus to MS Security Essentials, it is GREAT! It does not intrude into the system, and everything remains fast. You really should install this (or other) first, after you get your initial setup going, before you start downloading all the additional updates...just a best practice I observe, to help avoid any virus from getting installed.

Pay close attention to what you reinstall...don't be lured back to the HP crap (imho)...if you are unclear, google it to see what it is :)

Lastly, another great suggestion (if i do say so myself:D)...afetr you get your system back to where you want it, MAKE A IMAGE DISK (s) or backup to an external drive. This way, if you EVER have problems, even next year, you can then "re-image" your PC back to this exact state, without having to reformat etc. Take the time to do this, it is golden IF EVER NEEDED;)

Happy rebuilding! Hope this helps!:)

PS...did i mention not to put back on all the HP crap? :D

8. solsavr

solsavr Pen Pal - Newbie

Good choice! :)...and yah, I enjoy your posts and tablet comparisons:D

9. Techfinance

My IT guy is going to wipe my computer this weekend to get rid of the HP bloat. I will post the battery life results next week -- should be interesting.

10. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

@solsavr: thank you so much for the link. I only wish you had been able to add some comments of your own to supplement it, lol!:D Sorry I truncated your great commentary here - it's just 3 posts down, and I strongly recommend everyone read it.

Fortunately, I am already prepared with many of the precautions you mentioned. Now all I need is to get my 2740p with SSD in it - hopefully by end of month. Oh, one question: what do you (and others - chime in) use for creating disk images? I've heard so many love/hate comments about Acronis, Ghost, others.

@techfinance: can I borrow your IT guy to do my computer too? :D Do report in your battery life. Have you clocked it for the "before" to compare to the "after?"