2740p 8GB RAM+250 GB SSD+ WWAN 3G+ Win 7 pro upgrade

Discussion in 'HP Elitebooks' started by joe solo, Sep 23, 2015.

1. joe solo

joe solo Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello,

I've got a 2740p I5-540M vPro 2,53 ghz HDD 250GB with (2x) 2GB hynix HMT125S6BFR8C-H9 and after upgrading to (2x) 4GB Kingston kvr13s9s8k2/8, Windows7-pro just won’t start. Screen display: "Windows loading"....forever...!

When i go back to previous (2x) 2GB hynix ram stick everything working fine.

A local computer store tells me that main board might be limited to 4GB or that BIOS version might not support 8GB.

BELARC Profile show:

Main Board: HP 7007 KBC Version 39-33
    BIOS: HP 68COU Ver. F00 02/12/2010

Any help with this is appreciated

Hugo

2. joe solo

Never found out what was wrong with (2x) 4GB Kingston kvr13s9s8k2/8. I sent it back and ordrer G.SKILL 8GB (2 x 4GB) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Laptop Memory Model F3-8500CL7D-8GBSQ. Easy to install on my HP2740p. Next upgrade will be replace de HDD with a: TOSHIBA THNSFC256GAMJ 1.8" 256G SSD Micro Sata and a to add a Qualcomm Gobi 2000 HP UN2420 wwan Card +GPS Unlocked with a SIM card for internet backup in case of power failure.
    Hugo

3. joe solo

WWAN 3G connection for HP2740P
    Just leaving some info in case somebody want to do same kind of upgrade with a HP2740p.
    Installation of Qualcomm Gobi 2000 HP UN2420 wwan card with unlocked SIM card was easy. Laptop first dedected the Wwan card but no connexion so i downloaded HP Connection Manager Version 3.3.2.42 and that was it. It detected the 3G connexion from my local provider FIDO (10$/m for 150Mb).
    I've attached the icon on my task bar to be ready for use as a plan B if needed.

4. joe solo

Upgrade HDD to SSD on HP Elitebook 2740p.

I had 2 options: copy HDD drive to SSD with Macrium Reflect or clean install Windows 7 Pro from scrach. After reading many reviews, decided to go with a clean install of Windows 7 on new SSD. Linus from Tech Tip was helpfull for BIOS setting

I first try to make a disk image of Windows 7 Pro on a DVD using the Microsoft website but product key number was not recognized by Microsoft ??? Might work for you https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

After reading a lot of hackers way to do it, decided to call Hewlett-Packard company for assistance and to keep it clean end up ordering a Win 7 Pro 64 Bit 2740p DVD that came along with HP 2740p application and driver recovery DVD. Both were deliver to my door within 48h for 10$ US + tx + shipping+ custom. HP Elite support Team:1(866) 625-1175

Hardware installation went well except for the little ruber around the old HDD that i had to trim with a X-acto knife to make new SSD fit in his place.

Software had me worried. Windows 7 2011 version with explorer 8 made me regret my old HDD. But a few days later, after all HP and Windows updates and drivers were all installed (more than 300 downloads most of it automatically) my happiness came back. Windows Servicepack 1 and explorer 11 made a big difference. Make shure to print a Belarc report of your computer before to do this in order find back what version of what driver you were using. http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

So i guess this business laptop will be good for me for a few more years. It is doing everything much faster and i love 3G connexion when i am on the road. All together for a refurbish HP2740p with I5-540M vPro 2,53 ghz upgraded with new SSD 250GB, 8GB RAM and a 3G data connexion cost me around 525 Can$. If i can sell old Toshiba 250gb HDD and (2x2gb) hynix 4GB ram stick + genuine HP Win 7 pro and drivers instalation DVD's for around 75$ that bring it down to 450$. What i learned doing it is priceless.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015