2730p Windows 7 64-bit install gotcha's?

Discussion in 'HP Elitebooks' started by jdancer, Oct 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdancer

jdancer Pen Pal - Newbie

Howdy. Long time reader here but been semi-active at notebookreview.com.

I will be getting a 2730p this week so I want to know if there are any gotcha's on installing Windows 7 64-bit? I noticed HP came out with with a new F.10 BIOS for the machine. So, gonna install that first.

So, anyone have a specific software driver install order for the 2730p? Thanks for the info.

2. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I wouldn't recommend using the F10 bios because it only "Fixes an issue where a warning message that suggests connecting a SMART AC adapter is incorrectly displayed when plugging in the notebook AC adapter." http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...EnvOID=4059&swLang=13&taskId=135&mode=4&idx=2

While the Dual IDA modded bios you can get from here dual-IDA/quad-IDA BIOS for HDX9000/87x0/85x0/6x10/27x0p/25x0p ia a far better option as it removes the whitelisting on the BIOS (so you could supposedly try any Wi-Fi card or 3g card, or other hardware without issue); and it also allows unlocking of the final multiplier on the CPU so you can easily eek a bit more performance out of the lower end processor (my SL9400 jumps from 5.3 in WEI to 5.7, and performance difference is noticeable in areas)... though you have to actually use the program Throttle Stop to OC the processor as all that bios does is allow the last multiplier to be used, but it is easy enough and really carries no risk -and if you lower core voltage closer to 1.1V then it even runs cooler

EDIT: oh yea, there are no issues installing Windows 7 on this puppy, just go here http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...Id=135&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=3784558 and get the drivers (not the HP utilities as they suck and are a hog)

Audio, Web Cam driver (and HP webcam if you don't have a preferred webcam software for taking pics/ vids), Drive Guard 3d, LSI HDA Modem driver (if you have a modem chip -I removed mine), HP Quick Launch, Synaptic touchpad, Gigabit Ethernet, Wi-Fi card driver (Broadcom or Intel AFAIK), Fingerprint Reader driver (I think you need security center as well if you want to use it properly/ set up a boot lock w/ fingerprint)... no particular order

I would recommend getting the Wacom driver straight from Wacom's website (here http://www.wacom.com/CustomerCare/Drivers.aspx?model=Tablet+PC&os=Windows+7 then choose Tablet PC, then choose your OS, then click 'more info' ten download it), and the Intel Video driver (GMA 4500) from Intel's site

3. 970261

970261 Scribbler - Standard Member

I second Agent9's advice. Had the 2730p for quite a while now both HDD and SSD and had a plethora of OS's installed (XP Pro, XP Tablet, XP 64-bit, Vista 32/64, W7 Home 32-bit, W7 Pro 64-bit to name a few. Oh, and various Ubuntu versions.)

Haven't had problems with W7 64-bit at all thus far.ironically enough, XP Tablet gave me the hardest time.

And try out Throttlestop with the whitelisted BIOS, there's nothing to lose really since it's a CPU speed that's safe, but factory locked to keep heat minimal (which can be kept down by undervolting.)

4. jdancer

jdancer Pen Pal - Newbie

Just my luck, seller shipped wrong power supply adapter with female end.

What voltage, amperage, and wattage does the 2730p power supply adapter is configured for?

5. Agent 9

Output 18.5V @ 3.5Amps... I'm pretty sure it is just a standard 65W HP AC adapter used for a ton of their products. I have 2 OEM ones and they have been great, the chinese replacement for my M4 rather sucks (gets quite hot, apperlently has something rattling around inside, has short and low quality cabling, and feels very cheap) get a OEM from a trusted Seller with the item located in the States if you can

6. jdancer

jdancer Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow, drama never ends with this machine. It seems the seller forgot to tell me about the BIOS password when I attempted to install the F.0F IDA BIOS.

Problem is, seller doesn't remember the BIOS password. Is there a way to clear out the BIOS password? On a desktop, you just put a jumper on the CMOS jumpers. Don't know how to clear it on this 2730p.

Thanks for the info.

7. Agent 9

yikes! from what I remember there is almost no way for you to do so, you'll probably have to send it to HP to get them to unlock it if you can't figure it out... though there is possibly some obscure work around it won't be easy -remember they put it in place in such a way it would nearly impossible to get around it normally.

That said, try some commen sense things like 'administrator' or 'password' or 'hp'... stuff like that, maybe ask a friend for what their guess would be.

but, it may be time to just send it back to the seller for a full refund (including return shipping), just threaten to file a pay-pal dispute, a ebay dispute, and leave a bad rating if they refuse at first [they didn't disclose all details of the sale, and so-forth, a big no-no on ebay using paypal], sometimes you gotta light a fire under them to get them moving ;)

8. rjh

rjh Pen Pal - Newbie

This looks really dodgy. Incorrect power supply, can't remember bios password.

I'd be very suspicious that the machine has been stolen.

9. jdancer

jdancer Pen Pal - Newbie

Does anyone know if flashing a BIOS on the 2730p will clear out the BIOS password?

Thanks for the info.

10. 970261

970261 Scribbler - Standard Member

Unfortunately no, at least from my experience. In order to flash the BIOS you need to enter a password to get access to it, which your seller "doesn't remember".

If you've tried "generic" password (e.g. admin, administrator, pass, password, hp, Hewlett-Packard, HPCompaq, Hewlett-Packard Compaq, 2730, 2730p, etc. etc.) and it doesn't work, then try to get your money back as Agent has said.

eBay's "return" policies are totally dependent on the seller but usually they'll cave in if you threaten to file a dispute on both Paypal and eBay (and a bit more devious and the seller didn't give you a tracking number or confirmed that the item's been sent or anything...If those two fail, call up your credit card company to refund those credits since you "never received the ordered item".)

Might be a hassle, but it is MUCH better than trying to get a "disabled" PC working and finding out it costs X amount of money to do so from HP. I would spend that money elsewhere for another PC from another seller that has everything working with correct OEM power supply included.