2730p, Win7 and battery life issues

Discussion in 'HP Elitebooks' started by rjh, Feb 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjh

rjh Pen Pal - Newbie

There has been some recent discussion (elsewhere) of a possible issue with HP drivers causing high CPU utilisation - for example, see windows 7 - Why does WMI Provider Host ( WmiPrvSE.exe ) keep spiking my CPU ? - Super User for a couple of quite detailed diagnostics and explanation.

I'm considering upgrading to Win7, but reports in this forum of very poor battery life after upgrading are a real concern.

Is anybody here able to confirm or deny that wmiprvse is the culprit?

TIA

2. turbomacncheese

turbomacncheese Pen Pal - Newbie

I just got my 2730, and I have a ssd and windows 7, but with wifi on, and browsing, I get a little over 3 hours. With the brightness turned all the way down, wifi off, i get a little over five hours of notetaking at school.

3. rjh

rjh Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks, but battery life as such isn't my interest here - it is specifically that I'd like to know if anybody is seeing the issues referenced in the linked articles.

In your case, are you using the HP wireless management application, and are you seeing any excessive cpu usage - or are you getting good battery life because you are not using the HP software?

As a side note, what SSD do you have and are you happy with it? I'm thinking about upgrading to an SSD at the same time as Windows 7.

TIA

4. 970261

970261 Scribbler - Standard Member

Using the HP wireless app here on my 1 and a half year old 2730p, and haven't seen the CPU spike probs in the link (altho battery life is less than Vista.)

P.S.-Using an Intel X18 and am VERY happy (other laptops are on the Seagate Momentus XT...Not the same, but boots quicker.) Got the X18 at a good deal, heard others say other brands were better but dunno since I'm the only one among my friends who invested in an SSD.

5. turbomacncheese

turbomacncheese Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah, I guess I AM using the windows wireless manager.

The SSD installed is a Samsung 128gb. I love the damned thing. It's super quiet, and the laptop only gets warm when it's charging. With Windows 7 64 bit, it boots in less than thirty seconds, from switch on to internet browsing. Stupid fast from the windows splash screen. I had to install 32 bit for a few days while I waited to upgrade to 7, and there is simply no comparison. I can understand now why some people don't like tablets, but I wouldn't trade this machine and setup for my wife's i3 laptop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.